Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times

Advertisements

I am not frugal when it comes to my shower time. I buy Dove foam wash, I love it. I skimp on certain items, but body wash is not one. It costs about $6 but it lasts a few months. I get a rash from many soaps, so when I find one that does not itch, I stick with it.
For the hand soaps, I do buy the large liquid bottles & refill the small containers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Doesn't bar soap last longer than body wash and is more economical?
I'm not sure if body wash lasts longer but I believe, depending on which one, it is more drying on the skin. Most body washes contain a lot of detergent. I use Dove bar soap.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:30 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What you describe as a true frugalist is really a disgusting human being at least and mentally ill at worst.

I think body wash is a ripoff in terms of how long a bottle lasts. I use whatever soap my wife gets, usually at dollar tree or Target or Wally world. It isn't expensive enough to even think about. I also will usually take the bars from hotel rooms if I'm staying there.

I use right guard deoderant in a can. No idea how cost effective it is, more important that I don't ruin my dress shirts.
Deoderant is obviously needed due to the nature of that location, but you can get clean with just water. After a while your skin and hair adjust to not being stripped by soaps and sorta self manage...even become healthier and more manageable. Lotions/soaps/shampoos/bodywash/conditioner, etc — it’s big business.

https://ndoherty.com/no-shampoo/

http://almostbohemian.com/how-to-never-poo-again/

Could it be the more soap/shampoo we use, the more we need soap/shampoo? Seems kinda taboo to question something 99.9% of us have been forced to do from birth.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Various body washes from Walmart. They are all pretty cheap IMO because I get the ones that foam and it doesn't take much when used with a shower puff. Ivory, Dove, Suave, etc.

A mild facial cleanser that I also get from Walmart that lasts a really long time.

Softsoap at the sinks, they are cheap too at Walmart and The Dollar Store.

I use Degree because I've been using it for a long time without issue. I had an allergic reaction to something years ago and my armpits are not the place I want an itchy rash.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:41 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Honestly I consider myself frugal but worrying about toilet flushes and reusing slivers of soap is just taking it too far. To answer your question I use dove sensitive skin except the Walmart knockoff version. My father tries to get me to buy redskin bars for $8-13 per bar but I am too cheap for that and the dove sensitive skin has around 75% of the same ingredients and is also pH balanced to prevent that itchy skin I get after using a high pH soap when I shower.

I've thought about going no shampoo but honestly shampoo is not something that is a big budgetary issue and health wise I'm already rubbing aluminum on my arms anyway.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:03 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Who would seriously consider shampoo as a budgetary item? Like how in the heck are you using your shampoo?! I swear one bottle of shampoo will last so long, I don't even know how long it lasts, but it seems like well over a year! So if you buy really expensive shampoo for $20 per bottle, you're out, what, $20 in a year or eighteen months? lol.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:56 PM

265 posts, read 155,653 times
I still have design deodorant from high school 20 years ago. I think I went through like 3 of them. I had like 2 of them left and a speed stick which I hardly use.

I have some fancy body washes and shampoo from Christmas gift cards. I also recently bought old spice body wash which is like cheap chemical stuff in comparison even tho it’s not that cheap. Otherwise I buy Irish spring on sale.

Last edited by Raise_the_Black_Flag; 09-19-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Simple Soap or Pears because they don't have that strong fake chemical stench. Those are probably the only two soaps I can stand except for something expensive from a health food store.

Deodorant is Toms of Maine because it doesn't smell bad or irritate. I wait until the store (usually CVS) has a discount coupon and stock up.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Deoderant is obviously needed due to the nature of that location, but you can get clean with just water. After a while your skin and hair adjust to not being stripped by soaps and sorta self manage...even become healthier and more manageable. Lotions/soaps/shampoos/bodywash/conditioner, etc — it’s big business.

https://ndoherty.com/no-shampoo/

http://almostbohemian.com/how-to-never-poo-again/

Could it be the more soap/shampoo we use, the more we need soap/shampoo? Seems kinda taboo to question something 99.9% of us have been forced to do from birth.
I halfway agree with you.

I agree that we often overbathe and its bad for the skin. But our societal norms are such that I'm not willing to stink.

I try not to bathe every day unless its incredibly hot or I get dirty, but still, every other day is about right usually.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
For washing up in the shower, I use an unpackaged olive oil soap I buy for about $3/bar at my market. Expensive compared to regular soap, but it doesn't irritate my skin. One bar lasts for a month or so. For shampoo, I buy a gallon at a time of my favorite shampoo from Amazon. Lasts approximately two years because I wash my hair every other day. I don't use much in the way of deodorant, but when needed I use a crystal version (potassium alum like a giant styptic stick). I think the one I have now is going on three years old. They'll last forever unless you drop them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living