Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 11:02 PM

223 posts, read 141,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Well the reason I don't think so is bc Dallas is for those that want glitz and glamour. If you strongly desire that, you're more likely to move, work and play in Dallas. If you must work in FW, your more likely to live in between the two and play in Dallas.

Dallas can keep up with the Jones's of the country's biggest cities, FW desperately wants to be seen as different from Dallas. So yes, FW will grow and get more urban but I don't think it will ever have that glitzy gaudy feeling that Dallas is pursuing.

FW prides itself on being different from Dallas. There's been a number of things city officials did or attempted to differentiate the two cities.

When you land in DFW, American Airlines pilots will welcome you to "Dallas Fort Worth".... In times past, they'd welcome you to Dallas. This change was pushed by FW. The airport also has many advertisements for FW attractions. The last FW mayor attempted to write into a contract with DFW airport (which is owned by both cities) that it will change to Fort Worth Dallas International once the population of FW surpasses Dallas (and I believe it will one day).

I work closely with some people in FW city government. I've made mistakes in the past trying to persuade decision-makers to do something by saying "they do this or have purchased this in Dallas." That's a sure fire way for them to say no to it.
What's funny is that I was on an American Airlines Flight from Cancun to DFW earlier this year and the Pilot states "Welcome to Dallas" when we landed at DFW airport.

A number of pilot that are not from these parts just view everything in North Texas as Dallas. Has everything to do with sports.

My company is based in New Jersey and people up there are surprised when I tell them that Ft Worth is its own city that is separate from Dallas.
Most of them just think of Ft Worth as being a section of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 02:25 AM

511 posts, read 400,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Dallas past Houston a long time ago on the sophistication scale.

Houston is upscale. The problem is that a lot of the city looks like a complete dump.

Houston has got to a better job of showcasing the entrances to its city. I never understood why Houston got hated on so much until very recently.

Most visitors first impression of Houston is going to be going towards downtown Houston from either Hobby or Bush....and neither drive highlights Houston in a very positive way.
I agree with the bolded statement. Neither city is very attractive-looking, though. It may be comparing apples to oranges, but Houston could've done a better job at making their city more aesthetically appealing with all the lush vegetation they have. At least Dallas looks a little cleaner and organized despite being not as lush as Houston.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:38 AM

511 posts, read 400,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
I disagree. I think it's inevitable as cities continue to grow and become more homogenous.

Austin definitely went down that path and is basically a smaller version of Dallas these days. Fort Worth will likely be there in 10-15 years time, IMO.
As an Austin resident, I agree. It's heading towards becoming a smaller version of Dallas as it's been losing what Austin was known for. Unfortunately, all of Texas is bounded to this path.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:47 AM

153 posts, read 110,573 times
Quote:
Austin also used to pride itself for being different and ‘weird’. Over time those differences disappeared and these days it’s a pretty generic city (like Dallas is). I see the same fate for Fort Worth (and most rapidly growing cities).
We'll see but I'd be shocked if the line between the two big cities starts to blur. Austin may have prided itself on being different but it doesn't have a big city like Dallas within its Metro with Diva like tendencies that tend to trigger people on the other side of the metro (FW). There's a rivalry there. FW despises the fact that Dallasites would consider it a burb of Dallas. They dislike not getting credit for having what they feel is a better ran and higher quality city. FW despises the pretentious, "fake woke," type of behavior they see in Dallas.

And the rivalry runs deep. FW is considered panther city and has that sleeping panther statue downtown. That is a slight to city of Dallas after a Dallas paper wrote that FW is so quiet and boring that he saw a panther sleeping downtown. Since then, that panther is everywhere in FW. Even the cops there have a sleeping panther on their police badge. The spirit of being "anti-Dallas" or to maintain contrast like a ying yang symbol is very strong in FW.

FW will continue to build, grow, get new buildings etc but I bet they'll ensure it never feels like Dallas. At least not for another 30+ years when the next generation of decision-makers take over.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
I agree with the bolded statement. Neither city is very attractive-looking, though. It may be comparing apples to oranges, but Houston could've done a better job at making their city more aesthetically appealing with all the lush vegetation they have. At least Dallas looks a little cleaner and organized despite being not as lush as Houston.
This post is coming from someone that likes Houston and Dallas, and does not consider either to be significantly better or worse than the other.

I cover Houston and the TMC for my job. Im in Houston about once a month.

For many years I wondered why visitors tended to prefer Dallas to Houston, because in my book they were about the same.

Its my opinion that Houston would be way better off in the eyes of visitors if Intercontinental was located in a place like Katy, or even Southwest of the City in someplace like Stafford or Ft Bend County.

I think the perception of Houston would be a lot different if visitors to the city had to drive through the Energy Corridor or the Galleria area to get to downtown rather than North East Houston.

If you fly into North Houston your first impression of Houston is either going to be Greenspoint Mall, I-45, or Highway 59.
Neither of these three areas showcase the best part of Houston.

If you fly into DFW airport you have three ways to get into Dallas.
183 and 635 are pretty average, but taking 114 through Las Colinas is an excellent drive.

If you fly into Love Field and are attempting to get to the Tollway or 75 you are going to drive through some of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Dallas.

Cedar Springs, Mockingbird, and Inwood are all very nice showcases of Urban Dallas as soon as you get off the plane.
Hobby Airport is the opposite kind of experience.

and for any Houston person getting mad.....I prefer the nice parts of Urban Houston to the urban areas of Dallas.

This comedian states it perfectly, and better than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EGBEEzPbRU

Old 07-29-2021, 07:43 AM

This is the Dallas version.

The comedian states things that are repeated on this forum every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTsfLmu6VmA

Old 07-29-2021, 08:31 AM

115 posts, read 63,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
As an Austin resident, I agree. It's heading towards becoming a smaller version of Dallas as it's been losing what Austin was known for. Unfortunately, all of Texas is bounded to this path.
Agreed. Also, it's not that all Texas cities are becoming Dallas, it's that all cities across the country are becoming homogenized. Dallas was likely one of the first to do so in Texas, so it may seem like it's a 'Dallas' thing, but it's just the way the world is moving.

Quote:
We'll see but I'd be shocked if the line between the two big cities starts to blur. Austin may have prided itself on being different but it doesn't have a big city like Dallas within its Metro with Diva like tendencies that tend to trigger people on the other side of the metro (FW). There's a rivalry there. FW despises the fact that Dallasites would consider it a burb of Dallas. They dislike not getting credit for having what they feel is a better ran and higher quality city. FW despises the pretentious, "fake woke," type of behavior they see in Dallas.

And the rivalry runs deep. FW is considered panther city and has that sleeping panther statue downtown. That is a slight to city of Dallas after a Dallas paper wrote that FW is so quiet and boring that he saw a panther sleeping downtown. Since then, that panther is everywhere in FW. Even the cops there have a sleeping panther on their police badge. The spirit of being "anti-Dallas" or to maintain contrast like a ying yang symbol is very strong in FW.

FW will continue to build, grow, get new buildings etc but I bet they'll ensure it never feels like Dallas. At least not for another 30+ years when the next generation of decision-makers take over.
A lot of this could have applied to Austin 20 years ago (aside from the fact that Austin doesn't have another big city in its metro).

Do you feel like the West 7th area encapsulates what Fort Worth is and is very 'anti-Dallas'?

Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Last year, when we returned from our purloined stay in WA state, I did not even look for houses in Fort Worth. Before our move and nine-month stay in WA, we lived in the Old Decatur Road area north of 820. Traffic, crime, abusive HOAs etc. Really just make me sick to my stomach to return to that area. So we went up 100k in home price and found a gorgeous home in Weatherford.

So we focused on Weatherford and we are so glad we did. We live in a small, three year old development and is quiet, no HOA, neighbors who care for their yards, etc. Love the small-town vibe.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:53 AM

153 posts, read 110,573 times
Quote:
Agreed. Also, it's not that all Texas cities are becoming Dallas, it's that all cities across the country are becoming homogenized. Dallas was likely one of the first to do so in Texas, so it may seem like it's a 'Dallas' thing, but it's just the way the world is moving.

A lot of this could have applied to Austin 20 years ago (aside from the fact that Austin doesn't have another big city in its metro).

Do you feel like the West 7th area encapsulates what Fort Worth is and is very 'anti-Dallas'?
No. West 7th represents that younger generation that I'm talking about. The Bass's don't care for the developers over there because it's competing with Sundance.

That's just one area. West 7th vibes won't spread like a wildfire to the rest of the city without government support. TCU crowds and Gen Z fuel a lot of what you see there.

Back to the original question: Don't Dallas my Fort Worth. They are using Dallas to mean: make FW glitzy/gaudy, glorify materialism and vanity, submit to a "fake woke" everyone is a victim type mentality.

You can have a good time on West 7th but FW will only tolerate so much. Youre more likely to be arrested/convicted for "a good time out" that Dallas would let slide. And if a bar/club is constantly causing issues, FW is more likely to shut them down. I knew a club owner (owned the old club Avalon and Barcelona in downtown FW) back in the day and his complaint about FW over Dallas was that they were quick to shut him down over things that were beyond his control (rowdy diverse liberal crowds).

You are right, it will change eventually but the ones making decisions have to change. There is still a lot of old school making decisions.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:16 AM

115 posts, read 63,951 times
Quote:
No. West 7th represents that younger generation that I'm talking about. The Bass's don't care for the developers over there because it's competing with Sundance.

That's just one area. West 7th vibes won't spread like a wildfire to the rest of the city without government support. TCU crowds and Gen Z fuel a lot of what you see there.

Back to the original question: Don't Dallas my Fort Worth. They are using Dallas to mean: make FW glitzy/gaudy, glorify materialism and vanity, submit to a "fake woke" everyone is a victim type mentality.

You can have a good time on West 7th but FW will only tolerate so much. Youre more likely to be arrested/convicted for "a good time out" that Dallas would let slide. And if a bar/club is constantly causing issues, FW is more likely to shut them down. I knew a club owner (owned the old club Avalon and Barcelona in downtown FW) back in the day and his complaint about FW over Dallas was that they were quick to shut him down over things that were beyond his control (rowdy diverse liberal crowds).

You are right, it will change eventually but the ones making decisions have to change. There is still a lot of old school making decisions.
I see. I think describing "Dallas" as being glitzy/gaudy, glorified materialism, etc.. is only one aspect of Dallas. Dallas is a large and very diverse city so it's next to impossible to paint the entire city with one broad brushstroke.

When I say Fort Worth is turning into Dallas, I really just mean all cities are becoming homogenized and so in 10-15 years time, Fort Worth and Dallas will feel a lot more similar than they are today. I'd say West 7th feels like what Uptown used to be, and Magnolia feels like Bishop Arts/Lower Greenville. Hell, a lot of the same establishments exist on both sides of town too (Kung Fu, Rodeo Goat, Wabi House, Melt, Cane Rosso, etc..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth