Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrantham View Post
I currently live in Charlotte, NC and am exploring a possible move to Ft. Worth.

I have done some online research and note that South Lake, Trophy Club, and Keller seem to be nice towns in the above-noted price range. Can anyone provide further suggestions or comments?

Thanks
As others have noted, the commute from any of the three areas noted above would be very tough. You should check the areas recommended by the other posters on this thread long before considering any of the further out suburbs. If you were to look at 'burbs, Colleyville is likely a better option than Trophy Club or Keller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:24 PM

56 posts, read 106,730 times
Aledo seems to have beautiful homes on large lots, but the area seems desolate. Can anyone offer some thoughts?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:32 PM

540 posts, read 1,106,419 times
Well, if by desolate you mean it takes driving anywhere for shopping and restaurants, then yes. But there are many, many, many more people and houses out here than you might think. I call it rural suburbia. And more developments continue to go in. I live off FM5 between Aledo and the Annetta RR crossing. From my location it does take 12-15 minutes to get to the grocery store (Brookshire's at Willow Park) or WalMart at Hudson Oaks. It takes about 23-25 minutes to get to Ridgmar Mall. It takes about the same...hmm...a little less...to get to the Hulen Mall area. And about the same to get to Weatherford (I20/Main street). So it really depends on whether you mind that type of environment. It takes about 35 minutes from our house to reach the University/W-7th intersection. But it can depend "where" in Aledo you are. Aledo typically refers to the ISD which is a much larger area than the Aledo "town" limits.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:20 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.
Aledo would be a shorter commute than Keller, Southlake, Trophy Club, or Colleyville.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:13 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,428 times
Totally agree with TX Nightowl. I also live in Aledo and I am closer to Target than I was when I lived in FW! You won't be biking to the grocery store or anything, but grocery stores, Lowes/Home Depot, Target are all within 15 min or less for us and we are at the boundary edge. We go to church in FW near Ridgmar Mall and it's a 25 min drive (22 min if I'm driving haha). The drawback for Aledo to me is it's still such a bedroom community. There is a bbq restaurant (Railhead) and a great lunch only place (The Shed in David's Stove Shop) but it's pretty much Fort Worth or Wford if you want to grab even a quick casual dinner. Having high quality, non-chain restaurants within a 10 min drive might be important to you or it might not matter at all. I think it's been good for us. I like to cook and we eat pretty healthily, so I can't say it has been a problem for us.

I would also add that many Aledo residents (even SAHM) drive into FW every day and they are fine with it. It definitely depends There are some quality clothing and gift shops in both Aledo and Weatherford.

Not sure if you are planning on public or private education but the schools are highly rated. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have. We moved here in 2008, and have 2 children in elementary school.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
If you are an attorney then you will be looking at "connections" to help with your business--
living outside the FTW area would make that more difficult IMO

Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM

295 posts, read 949,648 times
Depending on how much of a neighborhood feel you want, I would stay either in Colleyville, Southlake or Keller (in that order). There are great communities in those cities, schools are excellent and you would be closer to the airport, Dallas, etc. giving your family that much more to do. The traffic from any of those cities to downtown FTW while not ideal, is manageable.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Thanks. When is the whole stretch of I-35 from downtown to Southlake supposed to be completed?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,311 times
Quote:
Thanks. When is the whole stretch of I-35 from downtown to Southlake supposed to be completed?
That runs to Keller, not Southlake. It's not a quick drive from I-35W to Southlake. The western border of Southlake is at Pearson when you're on Southlake Blvd (it changes to Keller Parkway beyond that point), and it's six and a half MILES from there to I-35W. I'm thinking you'd prefer an alternate route from most of Southlake to Ft. Worth if you made that choice. (and would agree that IF you're thinking of one of the upscale burbs NE of Ft. Worth, Colleyville would probably be the better choice. That said, again, I'd defer to the other posters who have recommended neighborhoods within Ft. Worth proper).

Others can tell you about the timeline for that project more specifically (or you can google it) but my understanding is that it'll be at least a few more years before it's done, and I-35W north of Ft. Worth is apparently a bad, BAD drive.

Southlake and Colleyville (and many parts of Keller) are great places to live, but not great places to get to downtown Ft. Worth from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth