Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2024, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 113 times

Advertisements

Hi there folks!

I'm planning on retiring to Fort Wayne Indiana in 5 years. Just wondering what the usual snow totals are per year. I see averages on websites of around 30 inches a year. I'm curious how accurate this estimate is. Also, wondering how often you generally have snowstorms blow in (what month does snow start falling) and what the usual total averages are for individual storms. Are they a couple inches throughout the season or do you routinely get 'dumped on' with 8 to 12 inch storms? I love the snow by the way. Also thunderstorms! I like 'exciting' weather.

From what I can gather, it appears the northwest and southwest suburban areas of Fort Wayne are the safest areas to locate. How about downtown FW? If I were live in an apartment in town, are there areas of the city to avoid?

I'm a conservative MAGA sort of person, would I fit in?

Thanks for any info you may provide!

Kaye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM

485 posts, read 483,613 times
I'm not originally from Fort Wayne but I lived there for 34 years. I moved away from there 11 years ago when I retired. Having said that, I can tell you that Fort Wayne generally receives more snow than central Indiana where I grew up. This is because Fort Wayne is closer to the Great Lakes and receives what is known as "lake effect snow". The closer you get to the Great Lakes the more this is so. South Bend isn't too far northwest of Fort Wayne but it, typically, gets more snow. In general, you will get a couple of big snows a year where you might get 8 to 12 inches or more but I've seen some years where we went through an entire year with very little snow. Drifting can compound snow issues too. Fort Wayne can be windy in winter and even a 4 inch snowfall can seem much worse. I've gotten up more than a few times to go to work but couldn't get out of my drive or cup de sac due to drifting snow. Having a snow blower comes in handy as you don't want to be out there at 6 am in w0 degree weather with a shovel in your hand. That said, I always got by with a single stage blower as I never felt the bigger 2 stage blower was needed. Others may disagree, though. In short, Fort Wayne isn't Buffalo New York but you most likely will get a couple of decent sized snowfalls every year and perhaps more. I personally felt that the city did a decent job with snow removal but if you live out in the county far enough you might need a 4 wheel drive truck at times. Living in the city or suburbs that won't be necessary but when I had a pickup I would throw some extra weight in the bed to help with traction.

I lived in all parts of the city at one time or another and I personally liked the southwest quadrant of Fort Wayne. I worked all over the city at one time or another and I can say that you can find a nice home just about anywhere. The northeast used to be good back when International Harvester was still located on the southeast quadrant. There are many decent homes that were built in the 50s and 60s with decent sized lots and mature trees but I would say that the southwest and northwest sides of the city has grown the most over the last 40 years. I can't comment on current growth as I haven't lived there.

I never lived downtown but I can tell you for sure that the city is vastly improved downtown since the 1970s when I moved there. Since then they've put in a state park, a new library, a downtown baseball park, a Grand Wayne Convention Center and many other improvements. Downtown used to flood heavily at times too but I don't think.that has happened since they improved things back in the 80s. I remember when Reagan visited after a big flood and people were floating boats down Main Street. The state park was put in as part of the flood control effort. Will Fort Wayne ever flood again? It's possible but I think they've got a better grip on the situation now.

Others may disagree with me but I think Fort Wayne is way above average for a city it's size. It generally ranks high in many surveys as a great place to live especially for people wanting to raise a family. I was a single man there fof 34 years and I managed to make friends and have a good life. It's not perfect and, as with most cities, it does have some crime. Those areas can be avoided by doing a little research.

I didn't edit this so forgive my spelling and grammar. My GF is pressing me to go for a walk so it will have to suffice.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 7,858 times
Veniceman pretty much nailed it. I lived and worked there for 50 yrs.
All I can add is that regarding your politics question is that the CITY Mayor and Council are primarily Democrats while the COUNTY Council and Commissioners are primarily Republicans I believe. I never noticed any extremism at either end of the spectrum.
One thing I will add is the low cost of living. Most new residents are amazed at how cheap everything is compared to their previous state of residence.

Old Today, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 113 times
Thanks for the input! It certainly continues to sound like the perfect place for me to retire.

Old Today, 07:14 PM

485 posts, read 483,613 times
I think you will like it there. Be sure to check out their zoo whenever you get the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: