Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times

Advertisements

I found this post on craigslist today:

RE: Security Guards

Date: 2009-07-20, 10:42AM EDT
Reply to: job-nujtg-1279121711@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

ATTENTION all SO's and those considering paying for classes. Notice that phony jobs are posted as if showing a need for security then immediately after the companies offering training appear offering classes. This is no coincidence! Understand that I and several other officers have both D and G licensing and remain underemployed for over a year. Companies have slashed the budget for security. There is no work in this field, regardless of the crime you see, hear, or believe to be increasing. It is your dollar, spend it wisely. TRUTH
----------------------------------------------------------
Sure enough, further on down there was a posting for training classes:

Security Classes (Naples, Fl)

Date: 2009-07-20, 9:14AM EDT
Reply to: kfranklin@kentsecurity.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

Kent Security will be holding the 24 hour class D course on August 19th & 20th , 7am -7pm .Please come by 1012 Goodlette Rd.N Suite 200 Naples Fl. 34102 to reserve a seat. The cost is $75 Money Order payable to Kent Security.

And further back still,on the previous day, was the alleged phony job listing:

Security Guards Class D & Class G (Lee and Collier Counties)

Date: 2009-07-19, 7:33PM EDT
Reply to: job-2yuxy-1275264876@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Security Guards Class D & Class G
Nationally known company is seeking Security Guards for Lee and Collier County areas.
Must have a vaild Florida Class D or Class G license
Must be able to work various shifts
Must have good communication and written skills
Immediate part-time or full-time positions available
2 years gated community experience may be required for some post
Must have reliable transportation
Previous Military or Law Enforcement are a PLUS

I'm afraid that somebody considering relocating and using craigslist to evaluate the local job market could easily get a false impression of job availability by such a devious ploy.

Last edited by tommy-105; 07-20-2009 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Seriously - why would anyone rely on Craig's List to evaluate the job market? There are numerous ways of getting statistics about the economy in an area. I mean, if an ad said "Make $100,000 a year in your pajamas" would you believe it?

Even in newspapers, companies often advertise for help when there isn't a job available. A lot of business owners have few scruples. Once I was hired to work in a store much closer to home, so I gave 2 weeks notice so my manager could find a replacement. When I showed up on Monday morning, someone came to the door and said "We don't need you." Turned out the person the owner was going to fire was given a second chance. Took me months before I could find work again. (oh, and I want to add that since I quit, I could not collect unemployment)

Last edited by justNancy; 07-20-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
My daughter is in Security/Loss Prevention. When she first got into the field, she applied to a Mall, they hired her, and then THEY sent her to the course and licensing. This is a scam, but it is not limited to Craig's list either. They regularly advertise in the newpapers also. I/she have seen them.

The best thing to do is to go right on the store's website itself; Sears, Beall's, Target, etc. They list all the jobs that are available, or not. Many times they will even look for someone with no experience at all, but be willing to train.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,240 times
In GENERAL the practice of advertising jobs attached to possible employment offers is something educational institutions have been doing for a long time. It's very immoral and un-ethical, but I don't think it's illegal.

Airlines (Carnival) have used the practice to hire pilots (who are other wise competent) to ensure the pilots meet THEIR standards of training.

Now the thing here is (in this case) that the reply to addresses are different. This means you'll have to do a good bit of homework to PROOVE that the ads were placed by the same source. It's POSSIBLE that even if they are from the same source they put one ad in on one day, got a bunch of responses from unqualified candidates (and too few qualified ones) and decided to hold a class to make a larger field of candidates that they could get paid to train.

The problem is that the OP ACCUSES without any facts to back it up. He doesn't say that he contacted the first job ad, got correspondence from Kent, and then saw the 2nd ad. Notice that even the ad from Kent doesn't even promise the possibility of employment.

The bottom line is everyone needs to be careful about how they pursue their employment options.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
There are SOME legit jobs on Craig's List. The Non Profits do advertise on there, but you have to know your field to know what is legit and what isn't. I found one in NY and one in Naples which I submitted and interviewed for. I suppose with the Non Profits it is more economical for them to advertise on a free website, besides there own.

Anything commerical, I would be very wary of, especially if they are asking you for money to take a course to be hired for.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 PM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times
I didn't make any attempt to check into any of this, I simply cut and pasted what I stumbled across. I did make a point of saying ''alleged'' phony job, so that I wouldn't be making any false accusations. I was just shocked to see something so blatant. Unfortunately, since I have been using Craigslist to check out the availability and pay rates of Construction jobs in other states, it really hit home.

As far as legitimacy of the jobs goes...90 percent of the resumes I send out, are never acknowledged. But at the same time, odd jobs posted by homeowners are the only real income I have coming in right now.

Thanks everybody for your input on this.

Last edited by tommy-105; 07-20-2009 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,240 times
By OP, I was referring to the CL thread, sorry for the confusion.

Speaking of odd jobs... Please send me a DM.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
As far as legitimacy of the jobs goes...90 percent of the resumes I send out, are never acknowledged. But at the same time, odd jobs posted by homeowners are the only real income I have coming in right now.

Thanks everybody for your input on this.
I hope I didn't sound too harsh. There's certainly nothing wrong with using Craig's List. I've found legitimate job offers on it and I also used it to sell things. I was only saying that, since ads are free, there are a lot of scams. Someone can also post several ads a day using different email addresses.

I wish you a lot of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area