Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 AM

29 posts, read 27,488 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are researching a possible move to FL, his new potential job would be in Sunrise, so just looking for some suggestions on areas to live where the commute isn't too bad but would love to be as close to the beach as possible too! We live in Houston now (although originally from Virginia Beach) and made the mistake of buying a house in the suburbs when we first moved here and love having a nice, big, new house but get frustrated that there isn't much "fun" stuff close by.

We are in our early 30's, no kids and 2 dogs. We would probably like to rent a house/townhouse/condo - something with some type of yard for the dogs. We would love to be near some areas where young professionals like us like to casually go out but not where it's a crazy party scene all the time. The suburb we live in now is very family oriented and if you don't have kids then it's pretty much impossible to make any friends. Plus anything we'd like to do is a good 30+ minute drive away, which we didn't think would be bad at first until we found out just how bad Houston traffic can be! Also, I will be working from home and our budget would probably be around $2k a month.

Thanks so much for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 PM

21 posts, read 24,077 times
Hi! Great to hear you are considering moving to Sunny South Florida, and congratulations to your husband on his potential new job/position in Sunrise! Sunrise is out west, as i'm sure you know...so living closer to the beach, and the "happening" spots will ultimately lead to some sort of commute to and from work - Depending where in Sunrise, you are looking at being about 20 miles from the beach, with traffic this can relate to a 45min+ drive. I would try and stick to neighborhoods that are along 595 so that you can take the expressway going east to west, and I-95 going north and south to gain quick access to 595. Fort Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, Plantation, Dania, and even Hollywood may be some areas to consider.

I personally love Hollywood, I may be biased because I live here, but we (my hubby and I, young professionals, no kids, etc) love meeting other young professionals, and visiting trendy restaurants, shops, cafe's and bars, we also go on Sundays to the Hollywood Dog Beach, after 3pm they allow dogs to roam freely, and we always have so much fun watching the dogs play with one another (Its our way to play with dogs, as we only have 2 kitties at home ) I think it would be a great place for you guys to meet people and make new friends.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:54 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
Hello! My husband and I are researching a possible move to FL, his new potential job would be in Sunrise, so just looking for some suggestions on areas to live where the commute isn't too bad but would love to be as close to the beach as possible too! We live in Houston now (although originally from Virginia Beach) and made the mistake of buying a house in the suburbs when we first moved here and love having a nice, big, new house but get frustrated that there isn't much "fun" stuff close by.

We are in our early 30's, no kids and 2 dogs. We would probably like to rent a house/townhouse/condo - something with some type of yard for the dogs. We would love to be near some areas where young professionals like us like to casually go out but not where it's a crazy party scene all the time. The suburb we live in now is very family oriented and if you don't have kids then it's pretty much impossible to make any friends. Plus anything we'd like to do is a good 30+ minute drive away, which we didn't think would be bad at first until we found out just how bad Houston traffic can be! Also, I will be working from home and our budget would probably be around $2k a month.

Thanks so much for any advice!!
Well, reverse commute to Sunrise shouldn't be too bad.

Check out Flagler Village. Practically downtown Fort Lauderdale. Even try renting there for a year and see how you like it. Lots of younger people. Lots of nice places are 5 -10 minutes walking distance. Very dog friendly too. Also 8 minutes to the beach. You can jog to the beach if you up to that

There are some nice rental communities - The Manor at Flagler Village. The Edge. AMLI Flagler Village. There is actually a new rental community there now - Townhomes with 2 car garages. Called "ID Flagler Village". .

For East-West commute to Sunrise, Broward Boulevard flows quite nicely. Should be 25-30 min.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngCanSouthFlorida View Post
Hi! Great to hear you are considering moving to Sunny South Florida, and congratulations to your husband on his potential new job/position in Sunrise! Sunrise is out west, as i'm sure you know...so living closer to the beach, and the "happening" spots will ultimately lead to some sort of commute to and from work - Depending where in Sunrise, you are looking at being about 20 miles from the beach, with traffic this can relate to a 45min+ drive. I would try and stick to neighborhoods that are along 595 so that you can take the expressway going east to west, and I-95 going north and south to gain quick access to 595. Fort Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, Plantation, Dania, and even Hollywood may be some areas to consider.

I personally love Hollywood, I may be biased because I live here, but we (my hubby and I, young professionals, no kids, etc) love meeting other young professionals, and visiting trendy restaurants, shops, cafe's and bars, we also go on Sundays to the Hollywood Dog Beach, after 3pm they allow dogs to roam freely, and we always have so much fun watching the dogs play with one another (Its our way to play with dogs, as we only have 2 kitties at home ) I think it would be a great place for you guys to meet people and make new friends.
Thanks so much for the info! That is great about the beaches allowing dogs after 3pm - we've only been able to take our dogs to the beach a couple times here in TX but they love it! We have English Bulldogs so can't have them out for too long since they can overheat so living a short drive to a beach would be great just to be able to take them out for a bit now and then! I will definitely check out the areas you mentioned!

Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Well, reverse commute to Sunrise shouldn't be too bad.

Check out Flagler Village. Practically downtown Fort Lauderdale. Even try renting there for a year and see how you like it. Lots of younger people. Lots of nice places are 5 -10 minutes walking distance. Very dog friendly too. Also 8 minutes to the beach. You can jog to the beach if you up to that

There are some nice rental communities - The Manor at Flagler Village. The Edge. AMLI Flagler Village. There is actually a new rental community there now - Townhomes with 2 car garages. Called "ID Flagler Village". .

For East-West commute to Sunrise, Broward Boulevard flows quite nicely. Should be 25-30 min.
Awesome, I will def check out that area! I think our biggest hurdle is going to be finding some type of space with at least a tiny yard for the dogs...I forgot to mention that they are LAZY English Bulldogs lol. One of them absolutely refuses to go on walks. I wouldn't mind renting just an apartment but dealing with dragging them outside all the time would probably be miserable haha. So I will look in that area as well to see if there are any townhome/condo options that would work! Thanks so much!!

Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
Awesome, I will def check out that area! I think our biggest hurdle is going to be finding some type of space with at least a tiny yard for the dogs...I forgot to mention that they are LAZY English Bulldogs lol. One of them absolutely refuses to go on walks. I wouldn't mind renting just an apartment but dealing with dragging them outside all the time would probably be miserable haha. So I will look in that area as well to see if there are any townhome/condo options that would work! Thanks so much!!
Lots of my Manor at the Flagler Village had bulldogs, they were all quite lazy.

Across the street from the Manor is a very nice neighborhood called Victoria Park. There is a nice park there (Holiday Park). Some of my friends used to take their dogs there. There are nice townhomes in Victoria Park, some have yards.

Another nice area is a bit south, still in downtown, on New River. A great rental building called Vu New River. Literally adjacent to a nice park (and an esplanade). Also dog friendly.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
You need to up your rental budget a bit. Even an apartment in Flagler will run you over $2300 for a two bedroom.

I would look at SFH in Poinsettia Heights or Victoria Park. Great neighborhoods close to downtown, shopping, dining, and the beach.

I would also look at rentals on Hendricks Isle.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You need to up your rental budget a bit. Even an apartment in Flagler will run you over $2300 for a two bedroom.

I would look at SFH in Poinsettia Heights or Victoria Park. Great neighborhoods close to downtown, shopping, dining, and the beach.

I would also look at rentals on Hendricks Isle.

The apartment prices at Flagler fluctuate quite a bit. I am not sure what algorithm they use, but on some days you can walk in and be quoted $1,900 for a 2BR. One day later - $2,200.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice!! Unfortunately, the job in Sunrise isn't going to work out for us so we will be looking into other areas to move. Hopefully this info can help anyone else in the same situation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area