Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 71,637 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am thinking about moving from SW miami by FIU up 'north' to Sunrise because the housing seems considerably cheaper. Does anyone here live by there or know how that area is. Sunrise Lakes Blvd... is this suburban? Im guessing at least a little but am not sure. How far is it from civilization or to catch a city bus. Would not having a car in this area be a bad idea? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmEyeA View Post
Hello all. I am thinking about moving from SW miami by FIU up 'north' to Sunrise because the housing seems considerably cheaper. Does anyone here live by there or know how that area is. Sunrise Lakes Blvd... is this suburban? Im guessing at least a little but am not sure. How far is it from civilization or to catch a city bus. Would not having a car in this area be a bad idea? Thanks in advance.
Sunrise Lakes is a 55 plus area. The apartments are really old and not too nice. It's also surrounded by some neighborhoods that you could say have have seen better days. Not really a high crime area, but certainly have seen better days. Sunrise is mostly working class and dense suburbs east of Nob Hill Rd (and surrounding Sunrise Lakes Blvd), working to middle class (still dense) west of Nob Hill, and upper middle class/upscale by the Sawgrass Mills and south of 84 (think "Suburban anywhere"). Basically, that area could be considered a very average option, but you need to be over 55 to live in Sunrise Lakes. Forget about the bus system down here too. It sucks, you need a car.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the insight fort lauderdale. I really dont get around that area very often and had no idea it was an age restricted neighborhood. I guess that means a plain no for me for another few decades haha. I just went to realtor.com and all the cheapest properties when i searched for Ft. Lauderdale seemed to be in Sunrise Lakes. It seemed too good to be true and for good reason I suppose

How about Lauderdale Lakes or Tamarac? Are these the same in terms of 55 and older communities? Thanks

Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight fort lauderdale. I really dont get around that area very often and had no idea it was an age restricted neighborhood. I guess that means a plain no for me for another few decades haha. I just went to realtor.com and all the cheapest properties when i searched for Ft. Lauderdale seemed to be in Sunrise Lakes. It seemed too good to be true and for good reason I suppose

How about Lauderdale Lakes or Tamarac? Are these the same in terms of 55 and older communities? Thanks
Lauderdale Lakes is what you would call "The ghetto", and Tamarac is also mostly retirement communities, although you might fine some good deals here and there in Tamarac, which is at least safe and clean.I personally wouldn't move here unless I made over 60k a year and had a good job rounded up.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 21,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Lauderdale Lakes is what you would call "The ghetto"
I agree. I have been working in Lauderdale Lakes for 4.5 years but I live in Wilton Manors. I would never live in Lauderdale Lakes, no way. I have never even considered moving to this area.

I'm personally not crazy about Tamarac, but I know parts of it are nice and safe. It seems boring to me (I'm single, no interest in kids).

My company is moving to Coral Springs later this month. Have you considered Coral Springs? It's not far from the Tamarac and Sunrise areas and it's considered pretty safe and parts of it are still affordable.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
I live in Sunrise, and you heard pretty much right...you need a car pretty much almost anywhere you live in South Florida. It is difficult to go far by bus, and it takes much, much longer to get to where you're going.

Sunrise is nothing to write home about--just a suburban area with a massive mall nearby (Sawgrass Mills)

Tamarac has many age-deeded communities meaning you have to be 55+ to live there. They're very strict about those things. Guess geezers don't like kiddies that much

Are you looking to buy or rent? There are a few houses in my area with for rent signs.....and a lot of others for sale. You can now buy a 3/2 house with 1 car garage for around $255k around here.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,217 times
Sunrise is alright to live in I guess. There are a few lower class areas unlike many other western communities like Weston, Coral Springs, etc. The Sawgrass Mall is nice but I would imagine if you went there too often it would eventually get old... check out the area for yourself and then make a decision. I can't stress the importance of that enough. You can't just go by someone's word when moving to a new area; many people do this and end up disappointed.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 PM

36 posts, read 221,018 times
If you move to Sunrise go way west of university.Its more like the islands the east part.I really cant see a bargain on a house anywhere in sunrise right now.Everything is jacked up wayyyy to high.Might find a foreclosure or somerthing though,Good luck

Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 AM

136 posts, read 481,484 times
Quote:
Would not having a car in this area be a bad idea?
Not having a car would be a bad idea in Miami-Dade County, which has a much more developed system of mass transit than Broward does. There are definitely parts of Miami-Dade County where you could get by without a car (South Beach is a perfect example), but I can't think of anywhere in Broward where I would dare live without a car.

Rich

Old 08-16-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. Well I was looking to buy rather than rent something because on Realtor.com prices seemed so incredibly cheap, in comparison to Miami. Im talking about 1/1 condos mind you. I understand now that is because its probably in an awful area or a 55+ area (once again, an awful area; probably smelly too).

From what im hearing and what i have experienced first hand the transit situation is deplorable in most parts of SoFla. I have lived in Kendall in miamidade county for 18 years and growing up without a car has been okay at best to terrible at worst. In general down here the transit situation along with high housing costs is really starting to worry me. Thanks for your replies again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area