Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 PM

393 posts, read 1,880,949 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in CO been to Farmington, that is the closest my work could transfer me to get me close to Durango.......Or, the other possibly is Loveland/Greeley, so I could get closer to Fort Collins.. I am almost 50 but would like a diverse area, and lots to do.......I love to walk/bike ride, and wouldn't mind having some amenities as bookstores, coffeeshops and what not. I know I would get these in SW CO also, but since I am single I am a little worried as to the expense of the two areas, and maybe the availability of friendship of people my own age....male or female.

Also, when I visited CO, I saw the Fort Collins/Loveland area but haven't seen the Durango area but seems like a place I would love to be in, so that maybe confuses matters worse.

Also, is it more affordable in the SW than Fort Collins area?, it doesn't seem like it online......I couldn't find much for cheaper places in Farmington, than in Fort Collins area.........UGH, I am getting more and more confused by the day.......LOL.

Anyone out there that can help?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 01:22 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times
I'll take on your question about Farmington since I know it well. Maybe someone can post about Fort Collins. I've been to Fort Collins and it is a nice college city but I don't know more about the issues you wish to know.

I'll do the pros and cons so you can get a balanced view of Farmington, New Mexico. It is near the Colorado border in the northwest part of New Mexico. It is a good sized city being the second or third biggest city in New Mexico next to the ABQ area. It is in a total desert. That is a pro or a con depending on if you like deserts or not. It has trees and is greener down along the San Juan and Animas Rivers. It has lots of stores and shopping. It has mild winters with very little snow, if any. There are some swanky posh areas like Paso Robles and around the golf courses such as Pinon Hills and San Juan Country Club. The golf courses are rated very well. You can go to Durango and be in the green mountains in less then one hour.

Ok, for the con side: It is divided into the rich "haves" and the poor "have nots" so the poor areas are really poor and the rich areas are really rich. The Navajo Nation is stationed in the Shiprock area near Farmington so alcohol consumption is very high. It can get very hot in the summer. It is dry as far as humidity which helps some, but hot is hot and it is hot! It isn't Phoenix hot, but it is hotter then anywhere in Colorado. You will notice a vast difference between Colorado and NM. Even when you cross the border, you will see how much better people in Colorado have it.

If I had a job in Farmington, I would probably live in either Aztec, a small town 15 miles or so east of Farmington which is greener with more trees, (but still in the desert) or live in east or north Farmington, a much safer, better area. Best yet, if you can somehow manage to move to Durango, do it. There is a huge difference between Farmington and Durango. Hope this helps you.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,930 times
Default Farmington vs Ft. Collins

I lived in Farmington all of my life until about 3 years ago. Population is about 40,000-45,000 and growing. The weather is nice - you have 4 seasons. There's not a lot to do right in Farmington, but of course Durango is nearby. There's also Navajo Lake if you like boating or water skiing. The San Juan River is there if you like fishing. The Animas River runs through Farmington, too. Farmington is not as pretty as it is in Colorado.

I agree with Crackerjack about the pros and cons. You definitely would not want to live on the West side or the South side at all. Colorado is much prettier than Farmington. The only bookstore Farmington has is a Hastings (not like a Barnes and Noble or any of those). They have been trying for years to do something with downtown as far as coffee shops, and they might have a couple now. There's a Starbucks in the Safeway store, but unless they've built one recently, not one you can actually really go in and sit down. There's a mall with Dillards, Penneys and Sears.

I currently live in Phoenix and hate it, but am planning to move to Colorado, hopefully by spring. I am 48, and I don't know that you'd find much in Farmington in our age group as far as singles goes.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:09 AM

45 posts, read 348,591 times
Hey SillyGal, Don't know anything about Farmington. You mentioned Greeley. This too is a college town, but you can get much better rental prices. Unlike, FC you would want to avoid the old town area, as this is a higher crime section. But a lot of Broncos own second homes there becuase of spring training and lots of postive development. There is a bike path under works from Greeley to FC and a new mall near I-25 and Loveland. If you want conservative look to Loveland. Want to be a bit closer to outdoor activities and nice development look to FC; however, Greeley in it's own right is developing nicely and I think you could find a rental in your price range, in a decent area. Everyone here is friendly, you'll just have to be willing to get involved and if you work in the area you live-in and rent in an apartment building - you will meet people just fine.

Have a great adventure, that's what Colorado is about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area