Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,435 times

Advertisements

So I was trying to make an egg tart today with puff pastry as the skin and the dough came out raw

Specifics: Pastry skin was PepperRidge Farms brand, Baked at 425 deg. F for 20 min, Used a 6-cupcake pan, Lined with paper cupcake cups, dough thickness around 1/8 inch on the bottom of the cup.

Anyone know the problem or have solutions? The custard was good...just the dough sucked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
why use paper cups when you are making a tart with a pastry bottom? Do you line your pie plates with waxed paper or some sort of liner?

My first thought is that your pastry wasn't uncooked (raw) but was soggy from the custard. Handle it as though it is a pie, not a cupcake........

Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
why use paper cups when you are making a tart with a pastry bottom? Do you line your pie plates with waxed paper or some sort of liner?

My first thought is that your pastry wasn't uncooked (raw) but was soggy from the custard. Handle it as though it is a pie, not a cupcake........
Oh, they were mini tarts like the ones you find in Chinese dim sum restaurants, hence the paper cups and cupcake tin...

What I wanted to make: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PXoGEKwdJ5...0/egg+tart.jpg

The recipe I choose just told me to just pour the custard into the dough And the bottom was not soggy, actually. The first layer was completely flaky light brown, but subsequent layers were were a translucent olive color...the custard was completely cooked, which was strange

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,362 times
Pepperidge farms actually tends to have pretty gooey pastry. Almost like there's too much shortening in the dough. Try a different brand; I've never had luck with theirs and have had the same problems you described.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Good looking tarts.........and while I am not a pastry cook, when I do make something that requires pastry I do it from scratch......moreover, I don't like shortening all that much..............too much hydrogenation etc, so when I do make pastry, I use lard (can you tell I don't make it often?) combined with butter.

I use about 3 cups of unbleached flour (chilled), salt to taste, about 3/4 cups of cold lard, about 1/3 cup of cold butter, and ice water. Cut the fat into the salt/flour mix until it is granular and well mixed, add sufficient water to roll it out. roll it out evenly, fold in quarters and keep chilled. pretty easy, very tasty. For flaky pastry, I would brush the basic pastry with clarified butter, fold, roll again, repeat four or five times, chill it well in the fridge then use it. Not being a pastry person, though, I probably would screw it up somehow..............

BTW, I raise my own hogs, so when we butcher I rend the lard and keep it in the freezer.....if you have to buy it, get the leaf lard at the supermarket.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Good looking tarts.........and while I am not a pastry cook, when I do make something that requires pastry I do it from scratch......moreover, I don't like shortening all that much..............too much hydrogenation etc, so when I do make pastry, I use lard (can you tell I don't make it often?) combined with butter.

I use about 3 cups of unbleached flour (chilled), salt to taste, about 3/4 cups of cold lard, about 1/3 cup of cold butter, and ice water. Cut the fat into the salt/flour mix until it is granular and well mixed, add sufficient water to roll it out. roll it out evenly, fold in quarters and keep chilled. pretty easy, very tasty. For flaky pastry, I would brush the basic pastry with clarified butter, fold, roll again, repeat four or five times, chill it well in the fridge then use it. Not being a pastry person, though, I probably would screw it up somehow..............

BTW, I raise my own hogs, so when we butcher I rend the lard and keep it in the freezer.....if you have to buy it, get the leaf lard at the supermarket.
Yes, the name of them is: Pastel de Nata (in case anyone wants to know. Trust me, it's a drug after you had one)

Would the lard make the pastry taste better? I rarely make pastries as dough products seem to hate me whenever I try to make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Pepperidge farms actually tends to have pretty gooey pastry. Almost like there's too much shortening in the dough. Try a different brand; I've never had luck with theirs and have had the same problems you described.
I never thought that the pastry is faulty And I had such good opinions about Pepperidge Farms too (Milanos~ <3)

So I think I'll try to make the pastry dough by scratch this time.

Thanks all!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Would the lard make the pastry taste better?
Not sure if it really does or if it is all in my mind........could be either way.

However I have a philosophy about food which is "the more "primitive" the better. "

The way I reason this is that for more than 5,000 years mankind has been eating certain fruits, vegetables, grains, and meats. Ours is an omnivore heritage. over the course of centuries our bodies have become accustomed to certain foods prepared in certain ways. Olive oil is healthier than just about any other oil simply because our bodies have adapted to it over the centuries. Canola oil, while apparently "better" for you is something my great grandmother would not have known. Given a choice I will use those products that my grandmother would have known. Things like butter, like olive oil, like lard. "White" bread is new to us as a species. "White sugar" is a relative new product.....generated no more than three of four generations ago for the mass of people. Sorghum is old, honey is old, maple sugar is old, fruit is old. Figs, peaches, berries, nuts......all naturally sweet that our ancestors ate thousands of years and thousands of generations ago. Things that can be roasted, ground, grilled, boiled, broiled, baked should all be eaten the way they were generations ago. Removing the husks from rice changes it from a healthy complex carb to a simple carb.......not good for anyone. Original rolled or steel cut oats either cooked or raw makes a wonderful breakfast meal. Precooked and processed instant oatmeal flavored with artificial and natural flavors is nasty.

Consequently I eat lard from healthy pigs. From Crisco's website: ( Crisco® - Products - Shortening - All-Vegetable )

Ingredients:
Quote:
SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).
Did soybean oil exist among native Americans? I am part Cherokee, I am part Polynesian, I have Celtic blood in me.......when did my ancestors fully hydrogenate palm oil? Why didn't my grandmother tell me the difference between fully hydrogenated palm oil and partially hydrogenate palm oil? She told me the difference between beef tallow, chicken fat, and lard. She only told me about oleomargarine.....she did not like the taste.....even then she never said anything about mono and diglycerides..........lard I know. I know the hog it came from. I know the food it was fed. I know my grandmother would have known how to handle it. I know what the results were....the greatest pastry, the crispest chicken, the tastiest fries...........using that as a standard, why would I eat food that is treated with mono and diglycerides and genetically modified soybean oil? either fully or partially hydrogenated?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
maybe try cooking the dough aone for a few minutes before adding the custard part

Old 04-12-2010, 12:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
I think using tartlet shells instead of a muffin pan will facilitate even and thorough baking of the shells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink