Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,664 times

Advertisements

Aaargh!
I am starting to feel the pressure. Turkey Day is almost here, and I want to do as much as I can the day before. I already have my gravy and rolls in the freezer. Wednesday I will brine and prep the turkey, and he will spend the night sitting on a beer can, ready to grill Thursday. Stuffing will be prepared, along with Mashed Tater Casserole and Cranberry Relish.

On Thursday I need to make 2 Coconut Cream Pies. I know I can't make the whole pie ahead of time, but do you think I can make the Graham-Coconut Crust the day ahead and just make the filling Thursday morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Can't see why not.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
Why can't you make the pies today? Just wondering..... Tonight I am making my 3 pies and the potato salad. Dessert is the main thing I do ahead.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:00 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Stacy I think Sizzly is afraid of the crust getting "soggy" from the custard.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
Ahhh ok! Well, you can definitely do the crust ahead. If the pie is cooked though, just make sure that pie plate comes to room temp before putting it in the oven!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
How did you make the gravy before you made the turkey?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
LOL, I wondered at that, too! Usually people make the gravy from the broth of the turkey. Maybe she/he made broth from the turkey neck etc. already? Or used prepared broth? It can be harder getting broth from a grilled turkey.

To the OP, I'm sure you could just make the pie crust ahead of time. I do that, too. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I always make the pies the day before (2 pumpkin, 1 apple, 2 macademia nut cream), right along with the cornbread for the stuffing. I bought really nice pie carriers to store them in too.

I just make the whipped cream just before serving.

I also do all the chopping (onions, celery, carrots) the day before and make as much as possible before Thursday.

I feel like a fish out of water today - my first Thanksgiving I won't be cooking the big meal in more than 8 years. *sigh* But I'll still make a couple pies!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Can't see why not.
That was my thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Why can't you make the pies today? Just wondering..... Tonight I am making my 3 pies and the potato salad. Dessert is the main thing I do ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Stacy I think Sizzly is afraid of the crust getting "soggy" from the custard.
Yes. Fear of soggy pie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Ahhh ok! Well, you can definitely do the crust ahead. If the pie is cooked though, just make sure that pie plate comes to room temp before putting it in the oven!
The pie does not go in the oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
LOL, I wondered at that, too! Usually people make the gravy from the broth of the turkey. Maybe she/he made broth from the turkey neck etc. already? Or used prepared broth? It can be harder getting broth from a grilled turkey.
To the OP, I'm sure you could just make the pie crust ahead of time. I do that, too. Good luck!
I made the gravy from wings. It was the make ahead turkey gravy recipe from Cuisine At Home, jazzed up with wine and herbs. It is pretty tasty.

Thanks everybody and Happy Thanksgiving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink