Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,572,387 times

Advertisements

I'd like to make a little "richer" chicken noodle soup tomorrow. I have an Amish chicken, but I am thinking about roasting it a bit before putting it in the soup sort of like the way we make turkey noodle soup from T-Day leftovers which always has a darker, richer flavor (I know some of this is from turkey being a stronger flavor than chicken).

Any thoughts on this? I am cooking tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:49 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,533,467 times
If you want to up the flavor add chicken broth instead of water when needed, tbsp of tabasco sauce in the pot.usually adds some flair.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,572,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you want to up the flavor add chicken broth instead of water when needed, tbsp of tabasco sauce in the pot.usually adds some flair.
I do use chicken broth. My "recipe" goes like this.

Chicken
2 large cans Swanson broth
1 large can water
cloved onion
two more large onions
four large carrots
turnips
whole celery
bouquet garni
head of fresh garlic cut in half cross wise

cook until chicken meat is done, remove meat from bones and reserve meat, return bones to broth. eventually strain through cheescloth, add cut up baby carrots, brussels sprouts, asparagus, any other veges in the fridge, cook 30 minutes or so add cooked noodles and chicken meat and serve.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,318,222 times
One trick that I sometimes use (when I'm not being lazy, that is), is to roast the bones until they're a bit browned. This adds a lot of flavor to your broth. Also, break the longer bones when you add them to the broth, to get everything you can out of them.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,840,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I'd like to make a little "richer" chicken noodle soup tomorrow. I have an Amish chicken, but I am thinking about roasting it a bit before putting it in the soup sort of like the way we make turkey noodle soup from T-Day leftovers which always has a darker, richer flavor (I know some of this is from turkey being a stronger flavor than chicken).

I made chicken noodle soup a few days ago, and it turned out better than any I have made before. I had gotten some frozen egg noodles (better than dried, in my opinion) that had a recipe on the back of the package. I didn't have homemade stock, so I adapted the recipe a bit. I "winged" it but will try to recreate it for you.

Heat the following to a simmer:

2 quarts water
4 tbsp Better Than Bouillon (I think the BtB instructions would have called for more, but I ran out)
Thyme, marjoram and pepper to taste (I had fresh thyme, dried marjoram)
Chopped chicken (I used two large chicken breasts and a thigh from a roasted bird)

Add 1 large bag of frozen vegetables and 1 package of frozen egg noodles. Bring back to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 20 minutes. In a small jar or sealing container, combine 1/3 cup flour with 1 cup milk, and shake well to mix. Add mixture to soup, along with 2 more cups of milk. Heat gently, stirring, until thickened.

Really good.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,911,261 times
I like to make soup out of a left-over grocery store rotisserie chicken. So I would guess roasting the chicken first WOULD make better soup, just like the rotisserie chicken does.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,594,515 times
A bit of better than bouillion added to the broth really kicks it up a notch.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,028,694 times
add a little bit of soy sauce or miso paste to the broth. Really easy.

Or the rind from pecorino or parmesan or any aged cheese.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,856,779 times
roasted Chicken-peeled to the bone.

Bones tossed into roasting pan 550 in the oven until they turn brown.

Toss into stockpot full of filtered water.

Boiled until falling apart.

Strain out all bones.

Toss vegeies back into strained stock with all appropriate seasonings. Chicken base is a nice kicker "Better than Bouillon". Cook until al dente. Toss in chicken meat and what ever noodles suit you. I never use the regular bouillon or supermarket stock. Too salty for me. Costo sells a great organic chicken and vegetable stock if in your area. I believe Wal Mart sells a version as well.

Other than the standard American version of chicken noodle soup I go for an Asian flair with cabbage, lo mien noodles and chili garlic paste added in at the last minute.

Make sure you use the feet of the chicken as well, if available, when stewing bones after browning. I don't brown the chicken feet with the rest of the carcass.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 AM

16,414 posts, read 30,440,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

=====================

I would NOT do that.

There are three solutions that you could do to make the soup rich.

First, add about six chicken feet. Chicken feet will add a certain gellatinous feel to the soup.

Second, add an additional pound or two of chicken backs. This will add more bones to flavor the soup.

Finally, I might add a couple of teaspoons of a QUALITY chicken base (like Minor's or Major's) if I cannot get the taste rich enough.

I currently have about five turkey carcasses in the freezer for soup. Thank heavens I have a lot of friends who are too lazy to make soup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink