Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:04 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times

Advertisements

Take that yummyalicious Daisy in the 8oz container, throw it in the freezer until close to
frozen-solid, then gorge on it............a delicious, creamy treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 05:57 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,205,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I don't understand the appeal of sour cream.

I was at a restaurant and I ordered a baked potato with my meal. I assumed it would only come with butter (which I like) but it also had some sour cream. Well, I tired it and it tasted... sour! Who would like something that tastes sour? Same thing with potato chips. I would never buy those that are sour.
Did you just take a tentative little taste of the sour cream itself and say, "Ewww!" or did you take a full bite of the potato with the butter and sour cream and pepper together?

I recommend it. You might change your tune.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:36 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,912,185 times
OP. maybe you need to try creme fraiche. Many stores sell it and while it's close to sour cream, it's not exactly the same and has a wonderful flavor.

I like sour cream myself. I make a bacon cheddar potato soup and add sour cream to that. It just adds that tang to the soup.

By the way, everyone, no potato is considered loaded without the addition of bacon. Forget the bacon and you may as well forget the potato.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know what restaurant you went to, but in my world baked potatoes in restaurants come topped with butter, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chives.

If you wanted a baked potato with ONLY butter, you probably should have said it to the waitstaff.

You wouldn't get a discount, but you would get your potato pretty much naked, the way you like it.

(Sometimes, if you order a baked potato, it will come with a little serving tray with all the toppings I mentioned, and you can dress it yourself. But I would be very surprised if I ordered a baked potato in a restaurant and it came with melted butter and that's it.)
I don’t typically order baked potatoes, but when DH does he is usually asked if he wants butter and/or sour cream by waitstaff when he gives his order.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:35 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,313 times
There is always a container of Daisy SC in our fridge

Old 09-21-2019, 03:46 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
I’m glad this thread was revived, because I love sour cream in anything...it’s so versatile. I have noticed, though, that all sc is not alike. Some brands do not have the same authentic, “zing” as others.

DH will not touch it plain, but he will eat it in things.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:13 PM

61,859 posts, read 87,339,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m glad this thread was revived, because I love sour cream in anything...it’s so versatile. I have noticed, though, that all sc is not alike. Some brands do not have the same authentic, “zing” as others.

DH will not touch it plain, but he will eat it in things.
That's why I buy Daisy. Available in most places and has simple, natural ingredients: cream, milk and added vit. A (well, not sure where the vitamin A comes from. It could be from China)
Not highly processed like some other brands.

Last edited by elnina; 09-21-2019 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 05:26 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,870,863 times
Smetana is good stuff! I was introduced to it at an early age, and never lost my taste for it. Borscht, I never could get into.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:34 PM

11,652 posts, read 12,729,464 times
I'm a Breakstones Sour Cream fan, myself. Otherwise, it's Friendship Brand.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:23 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,702,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I make mashed potatoes with sour cream. Super creamy and fluffy. Use reduced fat Daisy and much less butter. Actually less calories that way.
I also like sliced/wedged tomatoes with onions, salt/pepper and sour cream. Delicious in MY opinion.
Fresh cucumber salad the same way.
I add sour cream to many soups and gravies.
Strawberries with sour cream mixed with a dash of vanilla and sugar, then poured over the fruit - divine!

But baked potato - I love with just ranch dressing, oddly.
Sour cream adds creaminess if it's mixed in, but one nice thing about adding a big spoonful to a baked potato or soup is that it creates a nice contrast in temperature, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink