Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 08:54 PM

35 posts, read 180,152 times

Advertisements

Nearly 15 years ago, my wife and I almost moved to Florida from the north Atlanta Suburbs, because we're beach/sun/boating/fishing fanatics. Then we had kids, and stayed here. But we're now only years away from having kids in college - and we will 100% be moving to Florida at that point. I have pretty extensive experience with visiting Florida - I've spent weeks each at Jacksonville, Daytona, Cocoa, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, Marco Island, then Clearwater/Tampa. I've never been to the panhandle, but we're aren't considering moving there.

In advance of us moving down, we want to buy something now, and we'd probably rent it out in the meantime. SE Florida/Miami is a bit too fast-paced. We're looking for a town that's more laid back. A perfect day would be a trip out in the bay/backwaters in our 23 foot boat for fishing or exploring (and occasionally going frontside ocean). Then maybe dinner at a bustling waterfront area, perhaps with a few dive joints nearby with crushed-shell parking lots where people order beer buckets and there's acoustic entertainment on the deck at 4PM. Then the ability to walk to the beach. The community itself might have a decent semi-permanent population where we could build a social life.

While we're not going to be partying every night, we'd love a place where there is always a little hustle and bustle, and people don't care what day it is. We've been to some Florida places that are sort of like this, or have little areas of town like this, yet they are almost pretend, and set up to appear to be like what I describe above vs. actually being that way naturally. You go by on a random Wednesday evening, and there are all these shops and restaurants, and most are closed, and there's nobody around. But perhaps that's normal.

Anyway, do you all have any ideas for what you think is the best laid-back beach town in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 06:08 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Indian Rocks Beach is exactly as you describe. It's not a huge tourist mecca and a bit under the radar for most which gives it more of a "locals" vibe, though some out of state visitors have discovered it's charm over the years. It's also the kind of community where there's always places open, and not just weekends.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:38 AM

15 posts, read 14,869 times
Laid back with some vibe? hmm...try Anna Maria, but it's being ruined with people buying stuff and renting them out. Maybe Ponte Vedra Beach, Palm Coast, parts of the Key West locale, and right under your nose such as Hilton Head Kiawah, Jekyll, St Simon, even places like Orange Beach AL.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:30 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Sounds like Cocoa Beach south of the Kelly Slater statue to me.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:45 AM

207 posts, read 422,155 times
I'd say Matlacha but there is no beach. Maybe Gasparilla Island? Or anything else on this list: https://www.travelawaits.com/2481263...a-beach-towns/

Old 02-18-2021, 09:52 AM

91 posts, read 167,166 times
I know you said no S/E Florida , but Key Largo is what comes to mind.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:26 AM

210 posts, read 270,702 times
Indian Rocks or Dunedin. Belleair Beach if you have $$$

Old 02-18-2021, 11:52 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paul View Post
I know you said no S/E Florida , but Key Largo is what comes to mind.
well yeah....Key Largo/Tavernier/Islamorada....tics off every one of those boxes

Old 02-18-2021, 12:56 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
$$$ might be the biggest issue....In the Suncoast you might need a huge wallet, in the Fl Keys a wheelbarrow full of dolares instead.

Old 02-21-2021, 11:49 AM

14 posts, read 20,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Indian Rocks Beach is exactly as you describe. It's not a huge tourist mecca and a bit under the radar for most which gives it more of a "locals" vibe, though some out of state visitors have discovered it's charm over the years. It's also the kind of community where there's always places open, and not just weekends.
how would you compare Indian Rocks w/ Pass-A-Grille?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida