Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:15 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times

Advertisements

They do get rather large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 07:49 PM

168 posts, read 763,056 times
lived in florida from age 3 years to age 53 years - those are palmetto bugs and i can count on one hand the time any of them "flew" at me in all the years i lived in florida. yes, we had roaches and palmetto bugs - and both can be rather big. then there is what people called "german" roaches - smaller and godalmighty could they ever invest an apartment - without regard as to how expensive your rent was. i'd rather have the occasional roach/palmetto bug any day as compared to a german roach infestation.

we also had scorpions in florida up into the 1960s, but i didn't come across any after that (not that they're still not there). my aunt almost put her foot into a scorpion - she left her shoes in the garage and went to put her feet into them and hello! scorpion inside! we also had one in our house that we think came in with some piping my dad was working on.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:41 PM

38,893 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
Yes, it's true. I lived in FL for more than 20 years and I've seen it all. They do not attack or bite you, but they are nasty and creepy. I've enclosed a link for you to check it out (YouTube video of Florida Roaches):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npi7zlTZyv0

Hundred of roaches gather on a mailbox. Watch what happens after the man sprayed bugkiller at them.

Yike!
EWWWW!!!!! Now that's just plain yucky.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:35 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Merry Christmas everybody.
These roach stories sound like the ones they used to tell my son's scout group when they went camping and they wanted to make sure all the kids didn't go wandering off the site.
I know I'm going to get lectured here by someone but, to tell you the truth, although I have seen some of these flying roaches, they're not around my house. I've knocked down walls here and taken up hardwood floors and wall paneling and never saw any critters. I know we fumigate very frequently and I guess my neighbors must too.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,389 times
Exclamation Oh..

hahah. When I heard of the giant flying roaches in Southern FL I'm all like ahh cos' I live down here. But turns out they're just those palmeddo roaches? Those aren't scary. I've never even seen one fly.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
I have seen them fly even in northern florida, but they could not possibly be any more harmless or gross. And no, it is not like you turn your back and all of a sudden one is flying for your face, I think one has "flown at me" once or twice in my whole life, and both outdoors in the garage or something like that.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,529 times
Absolutely true !

Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
The ones that I've seen always appeared a bit retarded, or they were in the evolutionary state where they were just learning to fly.... I remember in an apartment I had in Tallahassee those things would be on the ceiling and we wouldn't see them and they'd just let go and attempt to fly making this horrible fluttering noise and crash to the ground in a failed attempt....

Always scared the crap out of us and wasn't exactly a turn on for the ladies either during those college days....

Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,861 times
I've seen them outside but have never seen tham fly. We have our home exterminated every three months. I dont even get sugar ants. Thank God because when I first moved here I hated those ants!!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
When I was younger I saw one every now and then in the garage..... but I don't think I've seen one in years....... disgusting nonetheless, maybe I'll start seeing them more when I move back to S.FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida