Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 02:02 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,205,670 times

Advertisements

What does an average median property tax mean? Since it is in bold, it must be something we need to pay attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Money money money.

In NJ your buddy has the highest property tax in the U.S., pays the 5th highest state income tax rate in the U.S., has the 5th highest cost of living factor in the U.S., the average pay for a HVAC tech $55k. In FL the average pay for HVAC is $41k. The median price of a home in NJ is $386,965. Average Median Property Taxes Paid on Homes: $6,348 (NJ boasts the highest property tax rate in the country).

Lets look at the differences:

Salary in Tampa, FL: $41,000.00
Comparable salary in Middlesex-Monmouth, NJ: $55,788.34

Groceries will cost:
22.045% more

Housing will cost:
100.897% more

Utilities will cost:
37.382% more

Transportation will cost:
4.171% more

Health will cost:
13.219% more

finity.comcast.net/slideshow/finance-propertytaxes/new-jersey /

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Candidates' Cost of Living Calculator

HVAC Salary by State | HVACTraining.net

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:01 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 02:04 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,205,670 times
Consider Florida a bad place? Who does that?

Not me. Otherwise, I would be out of here.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:08 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
What does an average median property tax mean? Since it is in bold, it must be something we need to pay attention.
It's the statewide average property tax amount.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
The calculator I used had limited selections for NJ. I picked the most southern, I think.

Sales tax? How about property and income taxes? Are they lower in the enterprise zones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
To be fair, Middlesex and Monmouth counties are considered North-Central NJ. Real estate and property taxes are generally higher up there than in South Jersey (but there are exceptions of course). I worked in NJ exclusively for over 5 years, and almost bought a house right near the Delaware Memorial Bridge because my wife was looking to work across the river at duPont Hospital. She ended up not taking the job, but the place would have cost less and had lower taxes than my old house in Pennsylvania.

In addition there are areas in South Jersey that are designated enterprise zones - where the sales tax rate is lower (like 3.5%). Yes, there are enterprise zones all over the date - even in the blighted urban areas (Newark, Orange, Asbury Park). But, where I was looking to live was a rural area (lots of farm country).

Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:

The website has the bold type. I didnt add any.

Average median - Average in the middle.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Consider Florida a bad place? Who does that?

Not me. Otherwise, I would be out of here.

Tell me about it. After we sold the Winter Park place we had the choice of going any where we wanted. Anywhere. We knew we wanted to be in FL a long time ago and we knew we were going to stay.

Seems some people have a very hard time down here. It must be the competition that they cant compete with. .

Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It's the statewide average property tax amount.

Right. Taxes are higher and lower than that amount depending on where you are.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:07 PM

892 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:
You make very valid points in regard to wages for workers in certain trades, etc. Last week I was chatting with a guy in my former line of work who I see from time to time. The topic of salary came up because he was telling me he was looking for something else that paid better. I was floored when I heard what his hourly wage is. I had to employ my best poker face, because I didn't want him to see any reaction. This poor guy is making what I made TEN YEARS AGO in that field up in PA/NJ. It really was a surprise to hear.

Be careful agreeing with me......it will upset a few people around here.

And then, "black and white" internet research and links will be used to prove me wrong......

As if I made this up and I don't actually have a friend who lives in SOUTH Jersey (along with the entire side of my mother's family) and tells me this stuff because he lived and worked in BOTH places.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:28 PM

892 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Money money money.

In NJ your buddy has the highest property tax in the U.S., pays the 5th highest state income tax rate in the U.S., has the 5th highest cost of living factor in the U.S., the average pay for a HVAC tech $55k. In FL the average pay for HVAC is $41k. The median price of a home in NJ is $386,965. Average Median Property Taxes Paid on Homes: $6,348 (NJ boasts the highest property tax rate in the country).

Lets look at the differences:

Salary in Tampa, FL: $41,000.00
Comparable salary in Middlesex-Monmouth, NJ: $55,788.34

Groceries will cost:
22.045% more

Housing will cost:
100.897% more

Utilities will cost:
37.382% more

Transportation will cost:
4.171% more

Health will cost:
13.219% more

finity.comcast.net/slideshow/finance-propertytaxes/new-jersey /

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Candidates' Cost of Living Calculator

HVAC Salary by State | HVACTraining.net

That's why I made it a point to tell everyone that he lives in SOUTH Jersey......

It's clear that you don't have any first hand knowledge of New Jersey because SOUTH Jersey might as well be an entirely different state.....

I have family (my mother's side) that lives in Cherry Hill, Marlton, Medford Lakes, and Ocean City...

I have friends that live in Mount Laurel, Cherry Hill, Pittman, and Moorestown......

Do you even know where those places are?
Have you ever been there?
Do you know of and speak to people on a regular basis from those places?

My cousin Darren is the Parts Manager at a Subaru dealership in South New Jersey and a few years ago he inquired into the same positions in the Tampa Bay area because he was "sick of winter".......and "wanted to use his boat year round"

Well, he was surprised at the difference in pay and benefits and still lives in South Jersey with his family because the pay cut was too much to justify......his words exactly.

So go ahead.....

Find some link on the internet that supposedly proves me wrong and while your doing that........

I will continue to rely on first hand experience (I was stationed at McGuire AFB in South Jersey) and the experience of the people I know and speak to on a regular basis who ACTUALLY LIVE AND WORK IN THAT AREA.

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:01 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM

Dude. I didnt post links and information to prove you wrong about anything. I posted them so it can be seen that while salaries may be higher in other places but the costs of living in those places eats up the higher salary quicker. I didnt even get into home heating costs in the winter.

I have friends in NJ too. A cousin as well. They tell me they are being strangled by the costs and the taxes and they are making between 50 and 80k a year. No matter where you are the state has its fixed costs. It isnt much cheaper to live in SOUTH Jersey as it is in Montclair.

Florida’s population grew by 169,000 between 2011 and 2012. I guess they are all coming for all those $8 an hour jobs or our generous unemployment benefits.

October unemployment rate NJ: 8.4 %

October unemployment rate FL: 6.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Be careful agreeing with me......it will upset a few people around here.

And then, "black and white" internet research and links will be used to prove me wrong......

As if I made this up and I don't actually have a friend who lives in SOUTH Jersey (along with the entire side of my mother's family) and tells me this stuff because he lived and worked in BOTH places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida