Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 AM

53 posts, read 117,229 times

Advertisements

I live in Middle Tennessee and am searching for great gulf coast vacations spots to take my family to. I am considering Gulf Shores, AL since it's kind of a straight shot south of here and, I've heard, nice and affordable. I'd love to also consider the Florida panhandle, but I've heard it gets much more expensive as soon as you cross into Florida. Is that true? Our budget is not too big right now. I've never been to either place, but am very familiar with North Padre Island (Corpus Christi, TX) as I lived there many years. I loved it there, but that's about twice as far from here as Gulf Shores. In considering Gulf Shores or any other nice gulf coast location, I'm looking for a family-friendly area but not horribly crowded, nice accommodations that are still affordable (on or near the beach), clean and pretty beaches, great restaurants (especially great seafood), maybe some things for kids to do (ages 3 and 7). I am looking for something at least as nice as North Padre or nicer. It doesn't have to be a ritzy area, just not trailer-trashy. I'm looking for a condo/townhome that's under $100/night....will pay more if I have to but as I said, our budget won't stretch too far right now. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:21 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,138,265 times
Come check out Treasure Island or Clearwater down here in Tampa Bay. I've been to South Padre Island...... these areas are waaaaaay better than there.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,341,170 times
If you're on a budget then driving further south isn't going to help. I would suggest you check out Pensacola Beach. Use vrbo.com to find a reasonably priced place. Having a condo will be less expensive than a hotel since you can prepare some of your meals. Anywhere in Florida is better than Padre and Pensacola Beach is nicer than Gulf Shores, IMO.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
I guess if you're on a budget we can eliminate the main theme parks like Disney,Universal,Sea World Bush gardens,
Actually you'll probably find more to do from Mobile-Biloxi west to Bay St Louis than you will in the pan handle..

Bet the older kid would enjoy the USS Alabama
http://www.ussalabama.com/

And a few other ideas.

http://seegulfshores.kaiserrealty.com/attractions/

Last edited by jambo101; 07-30-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM

To be more specific, I lived on North Padre many years and only visited South Padre once during that time. I thought both were very nice, of course South Padre has much more dense development and tourist attractions. North Padre and Padre Island National Seashore are beautiful from a naturalist perspective.

That being said, I am going to check out all your suggestions and look forward to exploring areas of the Alabama and Florida Gulf coast. The reason I'm leaning toward gulf shores is primarily the shorter drive, but I'm sure Pensacola and surrounding areas aren't too much farther. The whole Disney theme park thing is another type of trip that I'm sure will happen eventually. Right now, just focusing on giving the kids a nice beachy weekend. They still have not yet been to any beach since they've been born, believe it or not.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming please.

Last edited by ivyhoff; 07-30-2012 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 03:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
The deal with Pensacola and east to Panama City is its just more beach that can be had several driving hours closer in Alabama, and Mississippi. Problem i find with beaches is although they are photographic theres actually not much to do on a beach thus they become kinda boring after a few hours..

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 PM

I lived 5 minutes from the gulf for 10 years and hardly ever went to the beach, maybe once or twice a year, so I completely agree. From an adult perspective, the beach was boring to me after a short visit. I'm just thinking from a kid's perspective, it may be different. I've got 2 young boys who have never been to the beach, so they may have a lot more fun for a lot longer. Still, to have other kid friendly things in the area cannot hurt in case we want to do something else.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM

99 posts, read 204,330 times
Okay, let me help you a bit. You can go to Destin, and get a condo near the beach, in season, for $100/night or less. The trick is that you need to learn how to shop for good deals.

Go to "Craigslist" and then to "Florida," then to "Okaloosa County." Look near the top of the page for "vacation rentals" and start searching for condos. I just searched that and found quite a few condos in your price range. Obviously, price is somewhat dependent on what time you want to vacation. Peak prices are higher than off-peak.

Honestly, there's no place on the Gulf that compares to Destin. If you end up paying $10 more a day for your room to stay on the one of the most beautiful stretches of beach in America, you've got a bargain when you consider what you sacrifice by settling for "second best."

If you truly want a fantastic vacation spot, with a ton of great restaurants and a lot of kid-friendly activities, Destin is the absolute best place on the Gulf.

Some of these places may be a little "tight" for space. But most of the one-bedroom condos sleep at least 4 with pull-put couches and the like. But you're not going to the beach to spend your vacation in the hotel/condo room.

You can stay at Lasada, at Sandestin Golf and Beach resort, for little more than $100/night if you come in the off-peak season.
Lasata | ChristianCondos.net

Here are some other options:
35 Steps To Beach Access ~~ Gulf Views !
Seascape Resort Vacation Rental
Great Rates Pet Friendly Sleeps 6 First Floor
LAST MINUTE DEALS! Beautiful Gulf View, Resort Style Pool

Destin is packed, even when the economy stinks (and it does). And there's a reason for that. Everything else is second best.

If you get there and you want some recommendations for restaurants to try, here is a short list (local restaurants...if you want national chains you can find that yourself):

- Dewey Destin (famly restaurant, moderate price, on the water): one of the best local seafood restaurants on the Gulf. They have two locations. You want the one on Destin Harbor, at 202 Harbor Blvd: On The Destin Harbor 850

- Cuvee Bistro (high end restaurant), and a bit pricey Cuvee Bistro Destin
- Louisiana Lagniappe (fantasic Cajun, but pricey) Destin Seafood Fish & Oysters | Louisiana Laginappe in Destin Florida serving fresh seafood amberjack, crab, lobster, shrimp and oysters.
- McGuire's Irish Pub (great place for steaks/prime rib...they "smoke" it...very good home brew beers. Good family restaurant) McGuire's Irish Pub Pensacola, Florida
- Harry T's (I recommend this more for the atmosphere than the food. The food is very good, but you've got to get a seat on the water for the sunset. Family-friendly place, and you can watch the boats come in/out of the harbor: Destin Restaurant, Fort Walton Beach Restaurant - Harry T's
- Marina Cafe: Food is very good, and they have a wonderful "happy hour" BOGO special. On the water.

Check around for happy-hour specials. Many of the restaurants are offering them. Graffiti's has a great one, as does the Marina Cafe, and you can "google" the happy hour specials http://www.destinhappyhour.com/ http://findmespecials.com/specials/destin-fl www.dailyhappyhour.com/florida/destin

Also, check Groupon and other sources for coupons for attractions. There was just a parasailing coupon, BOGO, a day or two ago.

Things your kids/family might love:
- Parasailing (there are about a dozen different companies in Destin)
- Snorkeling boat (try "Destin Snorkel)
- Do a sun-set dolphin cruise (Destin Snorkel has a nice one, very inexpensive, and it includes free beer, wine, and soda)
- Paddle-boarding (don't do it in the gulf, do it in the bay...the water is much smoother and it's easier/less frustrating for beginners)

Last edited by The Raven; 08-03-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Thank you so much "The Raven" for all the info. Destin was a place I was considering. My sister went there with her new husband and in-laws a few years back. She showed me pictures and it looked beautiful, but it also sounded quite expensive. They all have plenty of money and no kids....they rented a large beach house which they all stayed in together. I guess from that, I gathered it wasn't as much of a kid-friendly place or easy on the budget, but I have to admit I never really checked it out myself. I really appreciate all the info....going to write it down in my notebook and will keep Destin in mind.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,915,868 times
A few notes to consider, at Destin (or almost any other Gulf location, $100.00 a night during the regular vacation period is not a possibility even in a dump. Your best price will be obtained by going through VRBO on a condo as you can negotiate with the owners. You must remember that most all condos are individually owned so what you see in one is not a reflection of one possibly even next door. In order to get your best price you might look for one slightly off the beach, the demand is much lower so is the pricing. In general, you can get a better price and a cleaner condo if it's individually managed instead of a management company. It's always good on VRBO to look at the pictures as well as check the reviews, make sure both are RECENT! Remember the posted prices only give you an idea, most owners discount them. You must also add a cleaning fee to your stay ($80.00 to $100.00), taxes (based upon the location 11.5% to 12.5%), and probably a damage deposit which you will get back.

Check out VRBO, the pricing, and what each condo has to offer. Generally speaking I would look toward the newer complexes as your chances of booking a run down unit are less likely
Destin Florida Vacation Rentals, Destin Condo Rentals, Destin Resort & Vacation Rentals | VRBO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida