Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 56,436 times

Advertisements

Discuss.

To me, southern preppy is more bright colors, northern preppy is more nautical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,466 times
Nautical!? Tell that to the people of Nebraska LOL

You must mean New England preppy?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:06 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
It's not necessarily a fashion thing. Preppy clothes are going to be the same if it's Massachusetts or Georgia. Being truely preppy is more akin to a lifestyle.

I'm wearing a red Ralph Lauren polo. I can walk into practically any mall in the country and buy the same exact shirt. But just because a person is decked in Polo, Vineyard Vines, or LL Bean doesn't make them preppy.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
southern preppy would be something like ben silver or a retailer like grady ervin. it is going to be oriented toward summertime clothes, since it is so hot.

i don't know what northern preppy looks like, so i can't compare and contrast. for men, southern preppy is heavy on the cotton and linen, lots of pastel and seersucker. very little wool fabric or black leather anything. it may be a little more flamboyant; you see a lot of bowties and suspenders, and strange/bold embroidered patterns. i wouldn't say it is 'not nautical'. it is not oriented toward sailing, at all -- but things like deep sea fishing are a typical 'preppy' activity, topsiders are standard-issue.

when i think of northern preppy, i think of big money private schools, lacrosse, sailing, blue blazers.. more formal, but that may just be my imagination.

Last edited by le roi; 05-19-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,372 times
Northern preppy is less ironed, more torn up and almost sloppy. Southern is crispy and colorful. Both are great.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,111 times
I spent my first 11 years of school in a New England Prep school, where the majority of old money preppies wore khakis, chinos, seersucker, navy blazers, Nantucket Reds and Sperrys or Weejuns. Popular brands were and still are: Brooks Brothers, J Press, Burberry and (name of town)shop - my favorite being the Andover Shop. Most drove a Volvo or older model BMW's and Range Rovers, had a golden retriever and belonged to various country clubs. Pretentiousness was never a characteristic.
When my parents retired my senior year and moved us to Florida, I enrolled at a boarding school. Aside from the same dress code (khakis and blazer), outside of school many wore jeans, flip-flops and brands such as Abercrombie and Fitch, American Eagle and Hollister. Many drove BMWS, Mercedes, Jaguars and flashy cars that a real Northern preppy would not drive.
This is just a basic juxtaposition from a freshman in college.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I agree...people tend to wear brighter colors down south. Up north it always seems like people generally lean more towards earth tones and more muted colors.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 35,667 times
The south definitely isn't about Abercrombie and Hollister. True southern brands are Southern Tide, Vineyard Vines, Southern Proper, Ralph Lauren, and Brooks Brothers. They wear a lot of pastels because like everyone said it is exceptionally hot down here. When they are wanting to dress up a little in spring or summer, a seersucker suit is a staple. Any time of year a white button down and bow tie is acceptable, even in casual situations. A polo or patterned button up is also frequently worn. Visors or no hat is what most guys wear if they are preppy. You rarely see jeans, mainly khaki pants/shorts. Sperry's are a must. Granted many northern boys do sail and have a "nautical" style, but it is not reserved only for the north. Plenty of southern boys do especially ones from South Carolina, especially around Charleston. The north's preppy is like the rest of the country's preppy. Pretty much the south just has its own unique version.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
From what I recall from Lexington, the "Bluegrass Preppy" style was sort of tweedy/horsey. button-down Tattersal shirts were popular, as was tartan patterns.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM

236 posts, read 859,880 times
Northern Preppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty