Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 PM

1,445 posts, read 4,623,028 times

Advertisements

I once had a summer job at a Dunkin Donuts. I was given heck on several times about my appearance and the dress code. I was told once that my jeans were a little too tight (the girls were exempt) and the cut-off shorts were not acceptable (they were cut with scissors and much of the original string was slightly exposed. I was told that I needed to "pay more attention to my appeaance" and not look "ridiculous." My issue with this was the terrible-looking and RIDICICULOUS collared shirts we had to wear. Quite frankly having a shirt with the top open connected with little tiny buttons is the most ugly looking of all articles of clothing that are commonly worn. Why not a an ordinary but still classy shortsleeve shirt? What is the purpose of three little buttons that nobody uses anyway? Isn't this at least as riduculous as cut off shorts that should have been cut cleaner? Secondly, I was offended with the accusation that I did not care about my appearance...having different tastes doesn't mean you don't care. I am sure many Middle Easterners find Western clothing "ridiculous." If someone wants to establish a dress code in the US, they should make it very clear what it is. They should not assume everyone has their tastes. Why should I wear a ridiculous looking shirt because everyone else is? If the boss is concerned about what is in style, than he should be more accepting of slightly tight jeans on men (yes, more men are wearing them though mine were not as tight as others)? If he disaproves of my dress, perhaps he should rephrase his words. How would he feel if one day he went to work and his suit and tie was said to be ridiculous...which I do feel a buissness suit is a stupid culture trait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,780,484 times
It's a private business, they have every right to tell you what is and isn't inappropriate. If the business' dress code stimulates a uniform, you wear that uniform or find a new job. With retail, having all the employees dress relatively similar is very common because the customers will be able to point out exactly who works there and who doesn't.

My advice is find a new job

Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,794,618 times
Adding this rant to your other post https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...cosmetics.html
I'm thinking you are a fashion challenged lummox.

Move in the real world with the rest of us. The reality is that looks matter. To look your best takes time and effort. An unmadeup face and ragtag cutoffs say "I don't care". If you don't care, fine.

Most of the rest of us do. Clearly your employer does as well.

(you sound very young.....)

Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,591,082 times
Usually the only people who appreciate a young person's design flair....are their other friends. Just wear what you want when you are out with friends and wear what your employer wants when you go to work.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,356,580 times
Well said Glory B couldn't have expressed it any better!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:59 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,414,650 times
You had a job, quit whinin'.

I worked at Dunkin' (left a year and a half ago) for 3 years. There are guidelines to follow. Most are standard (khaki pants or shorts that fall no less than 2 inches above the knee or so, everything hemmed), visor or hat worn, and hair pulled back. You're lucky your boss even let you wear jeans. The only time I EVER got to break the dress code was when I broke my ankle and my elbow....and the boss just happened to be nice enough to continue letting me work (because I had several weeks of being air-casted/splinted and in a sling).

Most places are going to have a dress code, and when you work your way past privately owned franchises, chances are guidelines will be much more strict (just got out of a major SE corporation, so I know)...better get used to it.

I'd be happy to have your job AND I'd comply.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 PM

1,445 posts, read 4,623,028 times
First of all, that job was when I was much younger. I do not wear cut-offs to work anymore. I WAS complaining about the attitude of the boss (and words used) on handling my situation.

Secondly, of course looks matter...but who are YOU to determine what matters...the boss may determine this, but he should have learned to view other fashion styles from a different perspective. I should have been approached differently. All I am complaining about is the narrow-minded approach to my situation.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 PM

42,154 posts, read 75,867,142 times
Oh, for heaven's sake. Uniforms and taste/fashion have nothing to do with each other. You wear what your boss tells you to wear, or find another job.

And cutoffs are not appropriate wear for any workplace, unless you're emptying trash cans at the community pool. I would have told you that you looked ridiculous, too.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 AM

628 posts, read 2,056,472 times
ha! I had the opposite problem when I worked fast food--the boss wanted to make me wear the chino black pleated in front work pants with a totally wrong shape as opposed to my straight leg black dress pants---maybe I looked too nice? In the end I won out as I had been an exemplary employee and there longer than they.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:30 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,940,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
You had a job, quit whinin'.
I'd be happy to have your job AND I'd comply.
This.

Or you could always NOT have a paying job and resort to dressing up as a mascot in some fast food restaurant to get paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty