Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:34 AM

37,738 posts, read 46,213,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Old Navy, GAP, WalMart, Target, and other cheap clothing lines are only intended to last ONE SEASON. At that price point they are considered disposable clothing.
Speak for yourself. YOU may consider them disposable if you wish. I, however, have worn my clothes from Old Navy, Gap, and Target for as long as 5-6 years. And GAP clothing is hardly considered "cheap". Puuleeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 AM

37,738 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Absolutely not. H&M and Forever 21 clothing has literally fallen apart on me. Very poorly constructed. I'd rather buy 1 well made dress that will last me years than 10 cheap ones that fit poorly and will fall apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Well, that's YOU.

Sorry you have had bad experiences with these stores. "I" on the other hand, have not, and will continue to purchase from them and continue to look good in them as well...

Most females, I know, who are so ADAMENT, about wearing designer clothes, are dressing for other FEMALES anyway.....
I have to agree with LMP. At least half of my work wardrobe is from H&M, and I've never had anything "fall apart". And I get tons of compliments on them too. H&M is one of my absolutely favorite stores. I can shop for my son (he loves them too!), as well as me!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:30 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,200,713 times
Ahem. My mother used to custom make wedding dresses and she taught me what good sewing was.

You can get good sewing from expensive clothes (usually) and from cheap clothes but you need to know what to look for.

Expensive clothes usually use better materials BUT NOT ALWAYS.

I deal in second hand clothing sometimes, here in Los Angeles, and I get a fair amount of couture clothing. You cannot compare couture clothing with the stuff any of us buy off the rack. For one thing, it usually doesn't have a size inside so it isn't like you can look inside the neck and say "Size 10! I'll take it!"

I currently have 7 pairs of handmade jeans. One pair is hot pink snakeskin and denim. The workmanship is flawless. The seams are all individually sewed with seam tape. (Can you imagine having a pair of jeans where the inside looks as good as the outside?) These are incredible jeans. The only thing I've been able to find out about them is that the manufacturer hoped to sell them to Barney's (the high end store in Los Angeles) but I guess that didn't happen. But the workmanship is incredible. You'd never find anything close to this at Wal-Mart or H & M or even Macy's.

Chanel couture from the 1940s would still look in style today. You could get some good wear from those suits!!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,076,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Speak for yourself. YOU may consider them disposable if you wish. I, however, have worn my clothes from Old Navy, Gap, and Target for as long as 5-6 years. And GAP clothing is hardly considered "cheap". Puuleeez.
I feel like Gap is really affordable clothing, but I also feel that if cared for properly it can last a long time. I have some of my children's clothes that we bought new at the Gap in 1995. I also have some Gap clothes of my own hanging in my closet that I bought at thrift stores over 15 years ago that are still practically new looking. I don't know how old they were when I found them hanging on the racks in the thrift store...

Old Navy, though, I've never been impressed with. For me, the Old Navy clothes have always fallen apart. Not a fan of that place, even though it's super inexpensive and I think owned by the same company that owns the Gap, right? But much lower quality IMO.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,916,475 times
These responses are cracking me up.
I have designer items that you would never realize were costly. No, they are not purchased to make me appear a certain way. They:

1. Fit better
2. Are a more comfortable/better fabric
3. Last longer

Old 06-23-2009, 03:23 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,718,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Ahem. My mother used to custom make wedding dresses and she taught me what good sewing was.

You can get good sewing from expensive clothes (usually) and from cheap clothes but you need to know what to look for.

Expensive clothes usually use better materials BUT NOT ALWAYS.

I deal in second hand clothing sometimes, here in Los Angeles, and I get a fair amount of couture clothing. You cannot compare couture clothing with the stuff any of us buy off the rack. For one thing, it usually doesn't have a size inside so it isn't like you can look inside the neck and say "Size 10! I'll take it!"

I currently have 7 pairs of handmade jeans. One pair is hot pink snakeskin and denim. The workmanship is flawless. The seams are all individually sewed with seam tape. (Can you imagine having a pair of jeans where the inside looks as good as the outside?) These are incredible jeans. The only thing I've been able to find out about them is that the manufacturer hoped to sell them to Barney's (the high end store in Los Angeles) but I guess that didn't happen. But the workmanship is incredible. You'd never find anything close to this at Wal-Mart or H & M or even Macy's.

Chanel couture from the 1940s would still look in style today. You could get some good wear from those suits!!
Those jeans sounds totally crazy cool! That is special stuff I would pay for!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,718,029 times
I have to say Old Navy stuff seems awful in my opinion I was all set to stock up on some of their great deals on shirts until I tried them on It was like used tissue paper and the fit was awful...I realized they weren't worth two cents

Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,878,289 times
Better made with better fabrics. Last longer. Better fitting.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,696,307 times
The other reason I enjoy buying from higher end places is the customer service and return policy.

Forever 21 has possibly the absolute worst return policy on the face of the planet, and they almost insinuated that I was returning worn clothing when I attempted to return something there once.

Nordstrom or Saks will take a return back no questions asked. Same for the higher end makeup places. I bought a pressed powder at Nordstrom, and it shattered after a week of normal use. Brought it back and they replaced it without any issue.

I also have a knowledgeable, friendly salesperson assisting me while I shop. It's worth the money to me to have a friendly salesperson asking me if I need a different size and bringing it to the dressing room.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,916,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The other reason I enjoy buying from higher end places is the customer service and return policy.

Forever 21 has possibly the absolute worst return policy on the face of the planet, and they almost insinuated that I was returning worn clothing when I attempted to return something there once.

Nordstrom or Saks will take a return back no questions asked. Same for the higher end makeup places. I bought a pressed powder at Nordstrom, and it shattered after a week of normal use. Brought it back and they replaced it without any issue.

I also have a knowledgeable, friendly salesperson assisting me while I shop. It's worth the money to me to have a friendly salesperson asking me if I need a different size and bringing it to the dressing room.
I agree with you completely! I love going to high end boutiques because they learn my style and just hand over items while I am in the dressing room. Some things I would never pick out but I try them on and they look wonderful!

And yes, the return policies are great, not at boutiques, but at high end dept stores. I have purchased dresses before, and never worn them once, they did not care that I returned it months later (tags on of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty