Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times

Advertisements

I have noticed I am getting a little peach fuzz on my lower cheeks just above the jaw line towards my ears. The last time I had my hair highlighted the stylist must have noticed because she asked if I would be interested in any waxing. I asked her if she meant "my beard" she just laughed.
I was wondering if anyone gets this area waxed? Does the hair grow back thicker? I would like to have it removed but I worry it will grow in thicker, like when you shave your legs. I know I could keep getting it removed but what happens in the future when my face ages and the skin becomes thinner. My face probably won't tolerate the waxing and then I will be left with a full beard. Should I leave it or remove it? My facial hair is very light, you almost can't see it unless the light is just right.
Which brings me to lovely story. I went out to eat with my husband recently, I had my back to a window and the light must have been shining off my "beard" just right. My husband leaned forward and said loud enough for the waitress to hear "are you growing a beard?" then he smiled and kept staring at my face the rest of the meal. I was so embarrassed, I can't believe he never noticed it before. I have had it for a while now. I would like to get rid of it. Anyone who has done this, please let me know your results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I have noticed I am getting a little peach fuzz on my lower cheeks just above the jaw line towards my ears. The last time I had my hair highlighted the stylist must have noticed because she asked if I would be interested in any waxing. I asked her if she meant "my beard" she just laughed.
I was wondering if anyone gets this area waxed? Does the hair grow back thicker? I would like to have it removed but I worry it will grow in thicker, like when you shave your legs. I know I could keep getting it removed but what happens in the future when my face ages and the skin becomes thinner. My face probably won't tolerate the waxing and then I will be left with a full beard. Should I leave it or remove it? My facial hair is very light, you almost can't see it unless the light is just right.
Which brings me to lovely story. I went out to eat with my husband recently, I had my back to a window and the light must have been shining off my "beard" just right. My husband leaned forward and said loud enough for the waitress to hear "are you growing a beard?" then he smiled and kept staring at my face the rest of the meal. I was so embarrassed, I can't believe he never noticed it before. I have had it for a while now. I would like to get rid of it. Anyone who has done this, please let me know your results.
Ahhhhh, yes... I am very familiar with this delightful middle age condition. I am constantly wishing bald heads and full beards would become all the fashion rage for women and I'd be all set! I am soooooo tired of having to deal with HAIR - the removal and coloring of it is way too time consuming. Anyhow, I have a friend who went through a series of electrolysis hair removal sessions a few years back. She says it was the best money/time she has ever spent. Took care of the problem, which other than a few strays here and there is resolved. Myself, I have resorted to taking a few swipes with a tiny eyebrow razor every morning - I try to look at it as exfoliation! Anyhow, nothing has grown in thicker and I do think its probably gentler on your face than waxing as you are not pulling on your skin; and you do have the benefit of dead cell removal. Occassional tweezer use also helps. Good Luck!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Just use a razor - hair does NOT grow back thicker anywhere that you shave.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 AM

191 posts, read 559,984 times
I have my brows, upperlip and chin area threaded. It's done with thread. It does not hurt like waxing and lasts longer. Do a search for threading in your area and see what comes up. You can also call some beauty schools and high end salons to see if they offer it or know any place that does. Where ya located?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
I am in my 20s and have this, it doesn't bother me. I mean, it's so light, who really cares unless it's real long or something, lol! I would be cautious about waxing since in between wax sessions it will need to grow out and then in may be more noticable since it could be stubbly.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,275 times
DOn't wax, the hair will definitely come back thicker, especially when you do it on the face. Why don't you just have a laser treatment? That would be better than waxing and shaving

Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Waxing does not make the hair come back thicker. It actually can decrease the hair growth with use. What you do have to be careful of is that you get waxed properly because those fine hairs can break off instead of ripping out.

Those pre-made sally's body strips work great on the face and arms. I suggest to DIY after your shower at home. Go from the cheek bone to the clavical's start to dip. Most people don't have hair there but it will blend any lines you do have so you don't look like a strange-o with a hairless chin but hair neckline. Plus it rips off dead skin. Nice deal for a seasoned neck. Nair Honey wax also works well.It can be sloppy to work with but hair removal line control is easier. And its can be used on the eye area. I wouldn't use the sally's around the eyes.It could rip skin. But make sure you do use it for the heavy hairs.

Laser treatments work best on hair thats darker than the skin so peach fuzz really isn't dark enough.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:47 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,879 times
I would bleach it or do electrolysis. I have seen it thin by waxing and I have also seen big black stiff hairs grow back in. It really depends on you... I would never have hair 'ripped' off of my face. I would get threaded before waxed.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Pluck the long ones, ignore the others. Unless the hair is dark, no one will give a damn!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Pluck the long ones, ignore the others. Unless the hair is dark, no one will give a damn!
Although if you wear foundation, it can "collect" in the light hairs and that looks nasty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty