Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 08:44 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
If I see someone wearing Birkenstocks and Tevas, with athletic/gym socks, I think it’s less offensive than seeing a guy’s hairy, smelly feet.

Why are sandals and socks bad? I can see it being dorky if you wore Tevas and, say, black dress socks, but Tevas and hiking or athletic socks: offensive or not?
Because some fashion bigwig SAID they were bad.

I prefer sandals and socks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 09:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Made me laugh. I am an elderly American who has taken to wearing low cut athletic socks with her Keens. They’re comfortable, folks.

I do not consider this a fashionable look. But at my age, I don’t seem to care.
Same here, except my socks are quarter-crew or crew height. Supremely comfortable, especially since Keen sandals are the ones that chafed badly on my bare feet when I went sockless. The fit is fine. The abrasive part was the edges of the strappy parts—and that Keen model has lots of them. Wearing socks solved the problem, and they are still breathable and cool.

If some people dislike the look, they can just not look at my shoes. Simple, and much easier to do than avoiding seeing plumber’s crack, mama muffintop, or gold chains dangling what Bostonians called the doggie dck worn over a darkly hairy chest with shirt unbuttoned.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:56 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Socks are, basically, and undergarment. No one looks good in socks. Can anyone imagine James Bond leaving his socks on whilst bedding one of his many companions? No. No one really wants to see them; they aren’t taboo or anything, and certainly when visiting we might take our shoes off.

But to intentionally go out with them exposed is as silly as wearing a strapless dress with a strapped bra, or boxer shorts longer than your shorts.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:34 AM

7,567 posts, read 3,241,406 times
If you wear short socks it's fine. Just no knee-high's the Scottish guys wear with their skirts. Ya know?

Old 08-25-2021, 09:35 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Same here, except my socks are quarter-crew or crew height. Supremely comfortable, especially since Keen sandals are the ones that chafed badly on my bare feet when I went sockless. The fit is fine. The abrasive part was the edges of the strappy parts—and that Keen model has lots of them. Wearing socks solved the problem, and they are still breathable and cool.

If some people dislike the look, they can just not look at my shoes. Simple, and much easier to do than avoiding seeing plumber’s crack, mama muffintop, or gold chains dangling what Bostonians called the doggie dck worn over a darkly hairy chest with shirt unbuttoned.
Yes to this. But actually, I put on socks because my old Keens are stretched a bit, and we got an August cold snap, and my feet were cold! But this combo was so comfy, I’ll probably do it more often. By the way, socks and sandals is apparently a PNW look. Not common around here, but certainly not unheard of.

I agree that the socks + sandals look is not offensive in any way. It is not a fashionable look, but so what?

Old 08-25-2021, 09:38 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Socks are, basically, and undergarment. No one looks good in socks. Can anyone imagine James Bond leaving his socks on whilst bedding one of his many companions? No. No one really wants to see them; they aren’t taboo or anything, and certainly when visiting we might take our shoes off.

But to intentionally go out with them exposed is as silly as wearing a strapless dress with a strapped bra, or boxer shorts longer than your shorts.
I disagree, but honestly I don’t care. You do you. I’ll do me.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:09 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
because people say so.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:15 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes to this. But actually, I put on socks because my old Keens are stretched a bit, and we got an August cold snap, and my feet were cold! But this combo was so comfy, I’ll probably do it more often. By the way, socks and sandals is apparently a PNW look. Not common around here, but certainly not unheard of.

I agree that the socks + sandals look is not offensive in any way. It is not a fashionable look, but so what?
Heh, I was one of those PNW socks-with-sandals wearers when we lived there—as well as before and after that. VERY comfy, and no stinky feet, which can happen when wearing some regular shoes OR from sandals without socks. The sandal insoles will get smelly from sweaty bare feet, unlike when wearing socks.

And even though I’ve never owned Birkenstocks, I actually like the look of high-quality heathery wool socks or fleece patterns with them. Sort of miss seeing that, in fact.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I live in the Pacific Northwest, and I rarely see anyone wearing socks and sandals. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. Sandals aren't a good choice in rainy weather; adding wet socks to the mix is even worse.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and wear sandals and wool socks.

It was more comfortable in the office with socks. Besides, there is something about wearing sandals without socks that just doesn't work in an office environment. Well, the women got away with it!!

It doesn't rain where I live so the wet socks issue is a non-starter. I just have to be careful to brush the snow off being coming in during winter.

I do find the comments about sandals and socks being illogical pretty funny.

The concept of fashion is illogical.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:37 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
It's not offensive to me. It just doesn't look good at all.

But hey, someone's gotta rock that look, so...
Exactly! As soon as a celeb starts that look it will become a trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty