Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:31 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

When something is "in style," people buy it, wear it, love it.....but then when they see pictures of themselves 10 or 20 years later, that think "Ughh! How did I ever think that looked good?"

Why is that?

Was it never flattering in the first place, or has the fashion industry brainwashed us to the point that anything not "current" looks awful to us?

And along the same lines....are there certain things you wear (or that you see others wear) that you believe are truly timeless? (that is, you'd never have that "Ugh" reaction to a photo 10 or 20 years later.) Would you even want fashion, in general, to be timeless? Or do you actually prefer the variety that comes with styles constantly changing?

I know, I've rolled a lot of questions into one post! I'd just like to hear others' thoughts on all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 09:34 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Tastes and sensibilities change.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:43 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
When something is "in style," people buy it, wear it, love it.....but then when they see pictures of themselves 10 or 20 years later, that think "Ughh! How did I ever think that looked good?"

Why is that?

Was it never flattering in the first place, or has the fashion industry brainwashed us to the point that anything not "current" looks awful to us?

And along the same lines....are there certain things you wear (or that you see others wear) that you believe are truly timeless? (that is, you'd never have that "Ugh" reaction to a photo 10 or 20 years later.) Would you even want fashion, in general, to be timeless? Or do you actually prefer the variety that comes with styles constantly changing?

I know, I've rolled a lot of questions into one post! I'd just like to hear others' thoughts on all of this.
Some of it has to do with the media and advertising industry as well as manipulation by society. They tend to shame people for using certain pieces of clothing in order to promote new styles. Same with hairstyles for men and women. Celebrities are too inluential as well as supermodels.

Last edited by 1orlando; 08-31-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 08-31-2015, 09:48 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Because some of them never did look good...

sleeveless shirts (men)
white tennis shoes and black mid calf socks (men and women)
running shorts a size too small and 8" up from the knee's (men)
fake shoulder pads on women's shirts

Just a few to start with.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Some of it has to do with the media and advertising industry as well as manipulation by society. They tend to shame people f9r using certain pieces of clothing in order to promote new styles. Same with hairstyles for men and women. Celebrities are too inluential as well as supermodels.
^This, but, as soon as the tide turns and the people in the industry say whatever previous era of fashion is hot/in again, suddenly people are digging the stuff out of granny's closet, thrift stores and off the shelves where the manufacturers have attached ridiculous price tags to the new and improved designs.

Take jeans, one year, boot cut are in, wide leg out and vise versa, appliques and designs on jeans, back in a few years later. I even thing I've been seeing a resurgence of the mom jean in some circles. LOL minis, maxis, mid, calf length to now almost all lengths go thank goodness, but at any given time one or any of those length were considered out of style.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:36 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Just look at some of the exercise clothing from the 80's I liked them but people today think it looks bad. Personally I think some of todays clothing styles are horrible but people like them.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:49 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

Why is that?

The "ugh" factor, I think, mainly applies to people who follow the more extreme trends. Some people do dress timelessly. On more classic styles, the only thing that changes is the way a collar is cut, or the size of the buttons, or some other minor detail. Some styles never go out of style, and look just as contemporary 20 or 30 years later, if well-designed and made with quality fabric.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:52 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Just look at some of the exercise clothing from the 80's I liked them but people today think it looks bad. Personally I think some of todays clothing styles are horrible but people like them.
Looks are cyclical, too. Some women are wearing the same leggings-and-tunic outfits they wore in the late 80's/early 90's, and are right on the current trends.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:24 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The "ugh" factor, I think, mainly applies to people who follow the more extreme trends. Some people do dress timelessly. On more classic styles, the only thing that changes is the way a collar is cut, or the size of the buttons, or some other minor detail. Some styles never go out of style, and look just as contemporary 20 or 30 years later, if well-designed and made with quality fabric.
True as well, I have several items of clothing that are timeless from my days of working in a boutique from some 25+ years ago even one of my leather jackets I still wear if temps warrant it just once every blue moon.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:56 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Some of it has to do with the media and advertising industry as well as manipulation by society. They tend to shame people for using certain pieces of clothing in order to promote new styles. Same with hairstyles for men and women. Celebrities are too inluential as well as supermodels.
Yes, definitely media & advertisers manipulate our sense of fashion. That part is clear to me. What remains mind-boggling is how extremely effective they are at this, to make people LOVE a certain fashion look, then a few years later, the same people find it hideous!

I think ultimately, each body shape has it's own "best" look, and we'd all do better if we would refuse to be manipulated by the "fashion powers that be." For example, I think I always look best in simple pants that are straight legged, not too skinny, that fit somewhat snugly in the behind. I should never ever buy leggings, bell bottoms, stirrup pants (remember those??), harem pants, stove-pipe pants, or the currently popular flowy loose elastic waist things in bright prints that look like pajama bottoms. Yes, they kinda look cute in the store, but a classic pair of trousers or snug jeans will stand the test of time.

For shirts, I love comfy but stylish, untucked, a little loose and flowy at the bottom. Sleeveless, short- or long-sleeved depending on the season. Kinda like this one, but without the back being so much longer than the front. That is a popular look right now but I don't love that.

Edited to say I apparently don't remember how to post photos. Here's a link:
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=73734742
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty