Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 PM

134 posts, read 158,759 times

Advertisements

I was adamant when I was younger I wouldn't color my hair...until I started going gray, lol. I looked tired and worn when I looked in the mirror (in my 40's) and it was depressing!

I would love to try henna. I bought some at the local coop though, and it didn't change my hair color at all! I followed the directions on the box, so who knows. I'll really give it another try when I retire, but now, with a busy life, I'm happy for the fast 30 minute color in a box.

I'm envious of blondes. As a black haired Asian, I get the badger stripe when I'm overdue for coloring, besides having thinning hair with age, and straight. Bah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 PM

388 posts, read 536,939 times
I'm a male, mid 30's

I've dyed my hair all colors since high school (sometimes multicolored) and will continue to do so until I'm physically/mentally no longer able to.
Barring of course for professional reasons. But I've been lucky.. so far... with that.

People that know me know that I'll be the "weird old man" with weird colored hair.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:55 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,295,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I henna my hair because it makes me feel happy and young. No one else's business! I'm a natural redhead, so when people ask me, "Is that real?" I say yes. (Of course it's REAL. It's not a hologram of hair! )

People do all sorts of things to enhance their appearance. Why do men shave their faces at all? Why do people get their hair cut? Why shave your legs and lady parts? Why manscape? (really. WHY?) Good heavens, all this concern about what others do and why. I have too much going on in my life to even be curious about what someone does to improve on their appearance unless they are a close friend or SO and ask my opinion...

ScoobySnacks- do I have a treat for you! I discovered a company called Mehandi that offers completely natural henna for hair. No metals and no nasty chemicals. They have Indigo for your hair. I love doing henna. It takes awhile to do it, several hours, and you need to prep the henna the night before if you're using red. I think you can mix Indigo for black hair on the spot. Great benefit - it's not so tightly timed that you have a problem if you leave it on too long. I once fell asleep with it on my head and it was on for 6 hours! It just made my hair color deeper and lasted longer. It's relaxing and a great way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. (DM me for more tips or questions.)

I don't have any connection to this company, I just love that they provide so much information and have a natural product that doesn't harm me or the environment. Scroll down to see the "How To" page. And if anyone's into body art with henna, this is also a great site for that.
When I was a teen we used lemon juice to bleach our hair the desirable blonde. The worse I ever did was this stuff which was pure peroxide, and made it pale blonde before it started breaking. Mom didn't trust the box hair color but it would have been better if she did. I have very fine hair, and the commercial stuff really destroys it.

I love henna. I was dying my hair red with commercial dyes before. It not only did a major number on my fine hair, but came out interesting tones. One time my son had to be picked up and he seemed to be having trouble finding me. Then he looked at me and said just shocked, MOM your hair is purple!!!!! And as it faded into the summer sun it looked even odder most of the time.

Still not how I managed purple but it was fun while it lasted. Now its mostly silvery grey, maybe a little blond left, but I love my pretty reds and henna doesn't smell awful, fry your hair, or smell like a chemical factory. It also does eyebrows. Mine are invisible.

I'm 63 and will be dying my hair as long as I can.

Last edited by nightbird47; 03-07-2015 at 12:11 AM..

Old 03-07-2015, 12:54 AM

22,891 posts, read 6,452,771 times
I used to dye my hair various shades of blond and brunette when I was
young...my hair is naturally a honey color blond....haven't dyed it for about
30 years....it's getting a bit grey now, I'm 68, and I guess I will dye it
close to this color eventually....

Old 03-07-2015, 05:40 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,304,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I think it's goofy because this is driven by business to make us believe we need to do it. I started putting chemicals in my hair in high school. I remember my stepmother saying, "It takes pains to be beautiful." She left out the money part. I highlighted it using painful and non-painful methods, straightened it, and probably a bunch of other things. It was business-related for me back then. I feel I looked better.

When I left IT for life, I stopped dying my hair. Sometimes I see people who look old with dark hair and it looks silly. I have some friends about the same age. S leaves her hair grey (she's @70 now) and looks older and SB dies it every six weeks and looks younger (she's 70). I'm going grey and I have no need to continue to make me look professional or young. It's caustic and expensive. People still expect it and I won't buy into it anymore.

I wish our society would change to accept us for who we are and allow us to age without being caught up in the, "OMG, I'm looking old," bit.
I finally stopped coloring my hair too. I too look at the much older ladies with jet black hair and wonder, what are they thinking? At least don't make it look so harsh.

Wonder what the guy with the dyed eyebrows ext looks like. I didn't do my own hair and in some older pictures, it just did not look right.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:44 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,153,641 times
In the past 5 years Ive let my hair go gray. It looks great. It feels like real hair, and the constant rush to chase down the grays when they started to show is over. The way my stylist cuts it, it almost looks like silver highlights on my otherwise dark ash brown hair.

I had died it different colors from my 20s through my 40s. It had actually stopped looking and feeling like real hair anymore. I feel so liberated now, and I love the way people on the street treat me. A lot less rudeness, and a lot more courtesy. +1

Old 03-07-2015, 07:10 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I finally stopped coloring my hair too. I too look at the much older ladies with jet black hair and wonder, what are they thinking? At least don't make it look so harsh.

Wonder what the guy with the dyed eyebrows ext looks like. I didn't do my own hair and in some older pictures, it just did not look right.
Clemencia, check this out:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...2Fimg_2276.jpg

Old 03-07-2015, 07:15 AM

and this one.....

Man: I didn't know it would be THIS pink - CNN Video

Old 03-07-2015, 07:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,786,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo916 View Post
Almost all adult females do it. I hadn't thought about it, but I saw on Oprah once years ago that drove that point home. She looked out into her studio audience and noted that none of the African American women had their own hair, and none of the white women had their own hair color. Certainly not true 100%, but more often than not. And when I look about the people I encounter, the hair color thing is certainly true, at least up until an advanced age.

I see no problem with it. It's an easy change to make, and fun to play with.

Men could actually do it a little more often. Some men look very youthful but for excessive gray hair. Why would you NOT color the gray if you look significantly younger than your age -- if you wanted? There's no problem there, either.

To each his/her own... whatever makes you happy, go for it! =)
To me dying one's hair is a bit like cheating, not as much as plastic surgery, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I should dye my hair black. I'm noticing a couple strands of grey at age 22. Honestly, it looks odd.
Maybe you are like the guy from the Doobie Brothers

Old 03-07-2015, 07:29 AM

and there is this one with a female model..

How to Dye Your Eyebrows: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty