Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM

361 posts, read 729,081 times

Advertisements

I would like to put the emphasis on work-appropriate clothing (brands such as Ann Taylor or The Limited and similar clothing brands.)

Some women have a little more curves than others and sometimes no matter what they wear, “the assets” will still show.

Given the situation, would it be best to just avoid wearing certain things altogether to the extent of ignoring one’s personal style? Mind you I’m not talking about wearing skin tight clothing but a regular –loose enough for work - knee length dress or skirt that a non-curvy woman would wear without any problem and without drawing much attention.

Should an extra effort be made by the curvy women to cover-up those “assets” and be as conservative as she can?

This is a business-casual work environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,086,518 times
No. Everyone should wear figure flattering work appropriate stuff no matter what their figure is. Busty ladies should pick wisely with scoop and v-necks though. It is super easy to have too much cleavage at work.

Wearing ill-fitting / shapeless clothing gives off the wrong impression.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No. Everyone should wear figure flattering work appropriate stuff no matter what their figure is. Busty ladies should pick wisely with scoop and v-necks though. It is super easy to have too much cleavage at work.

Wearing ill-fitting / shapeless clothing gives off the wrong impression.
Thanks for your input, Jade.

I guess most females in here don't relate to or have an opinion on this topic.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,036,707 times
Some clothes just draw too much attention to curvy areas though...a woman with a large bust should avoid shirts with smocking or gathers over the bust, tops or dresses that are a bright color over the chest and dark everywhere else, and anything else that makes the chest the focal point. I have a big chest, and I can look in the mirror in the fitting room and tell if an outfit draws too much attention to that area.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:34 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,118,186 times
No my butt will always be there.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM

251 posts, read 249,362 times
I agree with the other posters. No need to draw extra attention, but, well fitted tailored clothing is professional in my opinion. On other forums I've visited the theme seems to be that a woman needs to hide her femininity in the workplace, and posters at this site said they should avoid wearing any nail polish, nothing other than tiny jewelry, and to even leave your engagement ring at home if it is at all "flashy." Black and navy only. How sad.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 PM

897 posts, read 1,186,524 times
Agreed with the general consensus. No need to show off random bits, but if you feel like showing off your arms or legs, go ahead. People might say "but that's sexual!" to who? Who told you legs and arms are "sexual"? There are obvious parts that are inappropriate to show off, but everything else is fair game to me.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,211,789 times
No. Fitted is always best ( not tight)

Arms and legs arent sexual lol

Old 02-21-2015, 03:37 AM

Ok so fitted is always best. If she has a noticeable butt, Can she wear a dress or skirt without having to wear a blazer to cover it up? Would it be deemed too sexy for the workplace if her butt is showing?
And we're not talking about a female who necessarily wants to show off her figure. Quite the contrary actually; but it can be tough though, trying to convince the crowd that it wasn't the original intention.

I have a feeling there are a few women out there who have their own views on this subject!

I would also like to get men's opinion on this.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:31 AM

8,003 posts, read 5,451,801 times
I used to tell my sons to dress appropriately for the occasion.
Dress for success.
Doesn't matter what your size is, pick clothes that look appealing on you.
What do you want people to notice first about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty