Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,499,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Ladies never jump up and down and scream at football games.
Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Don't curse in public.
Oops.

Oh well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 02:17 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
As far as I know, being ladylike mostly means having good manners, and dressing modestly and appropriately for the occasion.
I agree with you.

I am a feminist at heart. I still feel there is nothing wrong with being ladylike.

I am not crazy about the term "ladylike" I prefer the word feminine. I don't want to be like a man.

I think Michelle Obama is a perfect example of ladylike. She holds herself well, good manners, classy with her clothes and presents herself well.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,255,023 times
[quote=ciceropolo;38486556]I think Tom Jones summed it up well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsGh4Amt44

Well she's all you'd ever want,
She's the kind they'd like to flaunt and take to dinner.
Well she always knows her place.
She's got style, she's got grace, She's a winner.
She's a Lady. Whoa whoa whoa, She's a Lady.
Talkin' about that little lady, and the lady is mine.
Well she's never in the way
Always something nice to say, Oh what a blessing.
I can leave her on her own
Knowing she's okay alone, and there's no messing.
She's a lady. Whoa, whoa, whoa. She's a lady.
Talkin' about that little lady, and the lady is mine.
Well she never asks for very much and I don't refuse her.
Always treat her with respect, I never would abuse her.
What she's got is hard to find, and I don't want to lose her
Help me build a mountain from my little pile of clay. Hey, hey, hey.
Well she knows what I'm about,
She can take what I dish out, and that's not easy,
Well she knows me through and through,
She knows just what to do, and how to please me.
She's a lady. Whoa, whoa, whoa. She's a lady.

I know a lead singer who performs this every time his wife walks into the room.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:42 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,224,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
And which of us would know?
A lady never eats more than she can lift.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:19 PM

241 posts, read 360,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I agree with you.

I am a feminist at heart. I still feel there is nothing wrong with being ladylike.

I am not crazy about the term "ladylike" I prefer the word feminine. I don't want to be like a man.

I think Michelle Obama is a perfect example of ladylike. She holds herself well, good manners, classy with her clothes and presents herself well.
I agree with this. It pays off to be more "feminine" or ladylike in the long run. Too many women think they need to be masculine in order to be taken seriously or "strong."

Old 02-21-2015, 03:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,499,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I agree with you.

So...am I following that someone who holds themselves well, has good manners and is classy in their clothing choices and presents well....is ladylike or feminine as opposed to "like a man"? That definition, to me, is all encompassing - traits that could well be applied to a man as a woman.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:36 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,588,982 times
If this is off-topic, I apologize, but I've been wondering how to be "ladylike," too. It's not a skill women are born with, and I need more help than most because I'm not really good with people in general. This would be okay, if I had an acceptable alternative, but I don't really have one.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:43 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So...am I following that someone who holds themselves well, has good manners and is classy in their clothing choices and presents well....is ladylike or feminine as opposed to "like a man"? That definition, to me, is all encompassing - traits that could well be applied to a man as a woman.
We are discussing ladylike. If you want to talk about what is it to be a gentlemen, I guess if could be the same traits. Maybe just a classy individual has those traits, including bending at the knee to pick up something (gosh I hate to see someone's ass up in the air!).

I think Jackie O and Michelle O are classic examples of being a lady.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:16 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,153,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
Is it not ladylike to be carefully dressed, well-mannered, modest, subtly curvy, or even matronly? Does not a lady wear a hat, gloves and little heels on emerging from home?
But flared trousers, boots that rise beyond the ankle, or sunglasses worn atop the head are certainly not
Being ladylike is timeless, no?
Um...kinda no, yes!

Being Lady-like means being respectful of yourself. Gracious.

As the term would suggest, "carrying yourself like the Lord's Lady. The Lady of the Manor." Maybe even a regal bearing.

As an example, you can expect Kate Middleton to usually act Lady-like in public. In their private chambers, she may curse and sprawl about like a drunken sailor for all we know; but when seen by the general public, will most likely be carrying herself, dressing, speaking/talking with a sense of grace and dignity - in that Lady-like manner that fits the situation.

Hats and gloves are optional. Some cultures are into them while others are not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oab4ZCfTbOI

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 02-21-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 07:58 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,234,541 times
Well, I want my girls abs to be wrought like steel, but most men dont prefer that. I am so in love with Michelle lewin .

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...ewin-miami.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty