Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times

Advertisements

I am more dressed up than most. And way more dressed up than people at my office. I wear skirts/dresses most of the time. Heels rarely (I have too much walking/standing/transit to deal with.

I say wear what you want as long as it is appropriate for the occasion. Maybe no ball gowns at work. Other wise dress up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,037,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Like they are rising to my challenge or something.
OMG ROFL Uh huh, that's it baby.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 PM

738 posts, read 1,001,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I live in a place where most people wear very casual clothes. Just jeans or shorts or maybe jogging pants every day everywhere. I have so many pretty fancy clothes in my closet and would love to wear them but have no reason and would feel overdressed. I do not really have any special occasions coming up to give me an excuse to wear the pretty clothes. What should I do?

Does anyone else want to get dressed up but feel they can't because nobody else does?
I have never given a rats rip about what other people thought of my clothes so if this were my situation, I would just wear the darned clothes not really caring about whether I was overdressed or not. Of course my idea of dressing up is wearing my good jeans, good boots and blazer to a wedding so I'm probably not the most fashion conscious person to offer an opinion...

RVcook

Old 02-12-2015, 01:50 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,813,463 times
I don't mind dressing up occasionally but I'm most at home in my snow gear and Kamik boots with my dogs dressed in their matching snow suits. Their snow suits also match my ski jacket. We're stylin.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:02 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I don't mind dressing up occasionally but I'm most at home in my snow gear and Kamik boots with my dogs dressed in their matching snow suits. Their snow suits also match my ski jacket. We're stylin.
Won any Iditarods, lately?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:56 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,619,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I live in a place where most people wear very casual clothes. Just jeans or shorts or maybe jogging pants every day everywhere. I have so many pretty fancy clothes in my closet and would love to wear them but have no reason and would feel overdressed. I do not really have any special occasions coming up to give me an excuse to wear the pretty clothes. What should I do?

Does anyone else want to get dressed up but feel they can't because nobody else does?
True, and that's because:
1. Clothes don't fit anymore
2. Daycare and no parenting (moms busy divorcing lowlives having to work instead of PARENT).
3. Overall LAZINESS!

It's pathetic actually.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:54 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't go to the daytime symphony in Seattle expecting it to be a dress-up occasion. Everyone wears shorts and flip-flops.

In Pittsburgh they do that at night, usually in a Steeler jersey.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 AM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
In Pittsburgh they do that at night, usually in a Steeler jersey.
I have seen Steeler jerseys in many places... but never in Heinz Hall on symphony night.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:56 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I have seen Steeler jerseys in many places... but never in Heinz Hall on symphony night.

Guy came in at the last minute, they sell leftover tickets at cut rate.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:02 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments . I will try to just wear whatever I want and not worry about it. And I will try to find events to go to that not only mean something special to me but necessitate getting nicely dressed . I don't want to move away from here, but I do not mind driving to a nearby county once in a while where they may get dressed up more often.

I also believe that dressy clothes can also be comfortable so I hope that all of you who have to wear conservative clothes to meet a dress code for work can also find a way to make them more comfortable and fun to wear. And add your own style.

I do not wear high heals much anymore but still love skirts and dresses. I also like the idea of dressing up my casual clothes with fancy extra touches like some of you suggested. We do not have snow here in Florida either so I do not have to worry about heavy snow gear .

I remember once, chatting with a woman who had lived in europe and had now moved to central Florida and she told me that where she lived in europe everyone dressed up all the time and she always had to have her hair done and wear her nicest clothes, but that here in Florida nobody tried or cared to get dressed up and she missed it. Do you think they do things differently over there?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 02-12-2015 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty