Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 02:51 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,642,871 times

Advertisements

I'd say that Austin is the best dressed town. People know how to dress in Austin, Texas. The people in Austin have a style of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:56 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,446,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Yes, you can. Price does not dictate who is 'better' dressed.
Really? So which is the better dressed, the cowboy or the investment rep?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,238,543 times
Chic's in any american college town down south beat my home country by a far shot.

In India, most women outside Bollywood are not worth a second look. Can't say the same here.

But chic's in college towns are very hard for me to satisfy in spite of their attractiveness, because their expectations go against many of my moral policies, and I'm poor.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-21-2015 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 04:01 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,997,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Heck, no...I'm busy wondering about the European afflictions, wearing ripped up garbage pants, massive around-the-neck ornaments, jugular blocking collars, hideous scarves ( long enough for a tug-o-war) and makeup like the dreaded aunt that many children feared when time for them to depart!

https://www.todayimwearing.com/
Isadora Duncan comes to mind

Old 01-21-2015, 04:06 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisztián View Post
Which city from U.S.A. is the best dressed? Do people in Chicago wear sweatpants (In Europe people don't wear them)? People from U.S.A. wear accessories like scarves? Are people from U.S.A. looking poor and unaesthetic?
What part of Europe? In E Europe, people wear tracksuits, which are pretty much the same thing as sweats. Also, there are high-end designer sweatsuits that look very fashionable. So it all depends.

Scarves are popular, especially for women.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:06 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,446,048 times
There really is no way to answer this because people in different areas dress for different things. I use my city as an example - Encino.

I see a LOT of women dressed in yoga pants and yoga shorts. Most brands seem to be Lululemon, Nike, Lorna Jane, etc. with some also wearing Reebok. Nothing special here, just typical workout attire that is comfortable and nice enough looking to be worn around all day. I also see a lot of Russian woman (both American Russian and immigrant Russian) who are always in heels, jeans or dresses/skirts. They always seem to be in nice heels though. Go to one of the local malls/hangouts like Sherman Oaks Fashion Square, Sherman Oaks Galleria, or Calabasas Commons and you see much of the same thing. Also you see a lot of women who seem to take great pride in their hair and basic makeup. Im not saying they look all "made up", Im saying that you can tell they got themselves ready to go out. They look GREAT.

Now, if I drive a few more miles down the 101 to Thousand Oaks or up to Simi Valley, there would be a DRASTIC difference in how women look/dress. Im talking DRASTIC difference as if you all of a sudden emerged in small town midwest USA difference. Go 5 miles down the 101 and exit on Topanga Canyon. Then make the 12 mile trek down Topanga Canyon to Malibu and even there its totally different look. These will be more of your earthy yoga hippy sorceress types who do drum circles, meditate and yoga. They may also wear the Lululemon yoga clothes, but they will have a different look and style than the Sherman Oaks/Studio City women. They are NOT going to be the hairy armpit ridiculous profile that dumb people have of these types, they will still look AMAZING, just different style and different dress.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:09 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisztián View Post
I hear in Europe that people in U.S.A. dress bad. Is that true or not? I cannot know if it is true or not 'cause I never was in U.S.A.
Some do, some don't, like anywhere else. Dress norms differ significantly from one European country to the next, you know. Sweden isn't anything to write home about.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:12 PM

412 posts, read 546,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
There really is no way to answer this because people in different areas dress for different things.
I think it is also dependent on income, culture and demographics of an area. I have noticed this in many cities as well where one side of town people dress down and on other sides people look like they are from a magazine.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:47 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,574,386 times
I lived in Europe for a year. I noticed that most women were always dressed up even if they were just running to the store to get a roll of paper towels on a sunday morning. The first thing I noticed was the dress over there and I wondered why are they always dressed up? It's a cultural thing. Alot of the women live much differently than we do here.
So to the OP, my answer is we live differently. I'm a professional woman. I dress up for work and special occasions only. When I go grocery shopping, to the movies, etc., I want to dress down and be comfortable whether that be " clean" sweat pants or jeans.
I think it all depends on where you live here in the USA on how you dress and your lifestyle.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:16 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,773,173 times
In my lifetime (and I'm not saying how long that is...) Europeans have dressed more fashionably and less casually than Americans. This is a generality, of course, because I didn't meet EVERY person. European visitors always commented on how poorly we Americans dressed and when I went to Europe I saw it for myself.

To me dressing better means being well groomed, neat, stylish, and wearing quality clothing. It doesn't necessarily equate to how much they paid for their clothing. I would mention good taste too but how do you define that? Where I live loud colors and flashiness would be in bad taste but that might be great somewhere else. Bright colors are great in tropical climates; for some reason more subdued colors seem to prevail in cold climates--they SEEM to from what I have seen for myself. There are exceptions and I'm not trying to sound like an expert because I'm not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty