Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:18 PM

18,251 posts, read 16,951,533 times

Advertisements

Chalk me up to being dumb.

I always knew beauty when I saw it, but could never figure out why I found our high school cheerleaders usually the epitome of our school's beauty while the girl working in the kitchen was where she was (sorry, Olga )

It turns out science has answered the question: the Golden Ratio of 1:1.618

It's too complex to explain. Watch the video below and then know that the golden ratio is found throughout nature.

In the human face, girls with the golden ratio (distance of chin to lips, lips to nose, nose to eyes, width of nose, length of nose, width of eyes, etc all bear this remarkable ratio. You could just about take vellums of the ten most beautiful women in the world and lay their faces one on top of the other and see just how exactly their features would line up.

So guys, don't hate yourselves for chasing after all those gorgeous babes who kick you in the @zz when you ask them out for a date. You're programmed by nature not to chase after the girls themselves, but to chase after this golden ratio.

Mathematical Beauty - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,378,600 times
Back when I did a study on attraction, I found this to be quite fascinating. I've watched a number of documentaries and read articles and studies on attraction/chemistry and dating. It's all very interesting, and true for me in many ways.

In terms of female appearance/aesthetics, yes, I am naturally attracted to those who are closer to the Golden Ratio. It's just what I like, and am used to within my own family.

42,763 posts, read 52,912,119 times
No a person goes after a healthy person that usually has descent symmetry.

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
And guys, don't whine when you get the brush-off from the women you approach. They're programmed by nature to prefer Golden-Ratio guys. They can't help it.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,734,019 times
Just another unreachable standard that only succeeds in pressuring others, and making them feel bad about themselves if they don't match up.

Way to go science.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 PM

As an interesting (I think) aside, Florence Colgate, a local tavern girl in a seaside town, won a contest last year for having, not the most beautiful face, but the most perfectly proportioned face in Britain. See if you can tell her from Christie Brinkley in her heyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQjFFTezh5I

Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,675,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And guys, don't whine when you get the brush-off from the women you approach. They're programmed by nature to prefer Golden-Ratio guys. They can't help it.

Yeah really.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,562,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I always knew beauty when I saw it, but could never figure out why I found our high school cheerleaders usually the epitome of our school's beauty while the girl working in the kitchen was where she was (sorry, Olga )
How very kind of you to acknowledge and compare the girl in the kitchen from your high school days...
Another example of why women choose lap dogs over men.
And by the way, Facebook has proven many times over that the "beauties" and "jocks" in school don't always age so well, while the "nobodies" (like your "kitchen" girl) often turn out to be attractive and accomplished, well rounded individuals who didn't have to get over themselves but instead developed their brains and personalities and other qualities instead of just sitting there looking pretty and waiting to be fawned over.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
How very kind of you to acknowledge and compare the girl in the kitchen from your high school days...
Another example of why women choose lap dogs over men.
And by the way, Facebook has proven many times over that the "beauties" and "jocks" in school don't always age so well, while the "nobodies" (like your "kitchen" girl) often turn out to be attractive and accomplished, well rounded individuals who didn't have to get over themselves but instead developed their brains and personalities and other qualities instead of just sitting there looking pretty and waiting to be fawned over.
ooops....I think I stepped on someone's non-golden ratio large toe.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,562,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
ooops....I think I stepped on someone's non-golden ratio large toe.
No you didn't. I am very comfortable and happy with my looks...have lots of lovely friends too...but we all know that looks alone wont get you through life, and we have long since moved beyond the unevolved "men" (I use that term loosely) who are looking for nothing more than looks. And what set me off, to be honest, was your referral to some girl you went to school with ... you used her name and I'm hoping now that wasn't a real person's name, because if it was you really lack class and kindness...

To be fair, your original post didn't seem to indicate you were "hot" to find these "golden ratio" looks but were instead just noting it. Nothing wrong with that. But to base your search for lovers or mates on that ratio is beyond sad for many reasons, many more than I have the time or desire to reiterate here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty