Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you appreciate and want to see more plus size models
I'm a woman and I would like to see more plus size models 57 36.77%
I'm a woman and I would like to see fewer plus size models 7 4.52%
I'm a woman and I don't care one way or another 27 17.42%
I'm a man and I would like to see more plus size models 30 19.35%
I'm a man and I would like to see fewer plus size models 21 13.55%
I'm a man and I don't care one way or another 13 8.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 AM

4,567 posts, read 5,439,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I've said this in the past "if I can lift her up, she's good2go"
For me, if we both got on a see-saw, she'd better be the one up in the air. If I am in the air then she fails the test.

I am 175 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 12:23 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,856,782 times
I wouldnt want to see a woman as any kind of idol but i would like to see more plus size role models.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:56 AM

9,016 posts, read 13,862,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
For me, if we both got on a see-saw, she'd better be the one up in the air. If I am in the air then she fails the test.

I am 175 lbs.
what about someone like Serena Williams,who is 160 pounds but muscular?
I am pretty sure she would still weigh the see saw down if you both got on one.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:51 AM

119 posts, read 300,847 times
I don't particularly care to see models with huge, hanging stomachs like two in the link. Honestly, it disgusts me.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:39 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,278,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I didn't vote. I kind of don't care one way or another whether or not there are more plus sized models. I suppose there should be.

What I care about is like what another poster spoke of, models who are my size, or even mannequins who are the appropriate size.

If a person is in a store that sells plus sized clothes, the mannequins wearing the cloths should be that size, and not smaller.

Maybe I do care. Yes there should be.
good point

or

instead of "plus"size" maybe this should be the norm, and start using the phrase "minus" or "stick" size

you come to a maine potluck church supper, those plus-size ladies, would be on the lighter side of most there

Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 AM

850 posts, read 1,027,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
what about someone like Serena Williams,who is 160 pounds but muscular?
I am pretty sure she would still weigh the see saw down if you both got on one.
The OP said he weighed 175 lb so I don't get your last sentence. - is it a "you go girl" thing or not understanding math/physics/seesaw etiquette? <meow>

With regard to the plus size - sorry but the US population on average has a weight problem so I don't
think we should validate it. That having been said, would it be fair to say that 20-50-100 years ago models were not as skinny as they are now but the US pop. also was not as heavy as they are now? Is obesity in America Twiggy's fault? (yeah yeah correl-ate not= cause-ate)

Last edited by jayway; 06-07-2014 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: meow

Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,935,657 times
Plus size model ads are photo-shopped just like the twig size model ads---it's all an illusion designed to sell an emotion--a fantasy--a feeling. Study up on the psychology of marketing and you'll see that this goes for pretty much anything anyone is selling. So, what about plus-size models? They are just doing the job the advertisers hired them to do---not different than thin models. Essentially, this question is just another thread about fat women. I am sick and tired of the constant scrutinizing of a woman's body. I don't give a flying *f* about ads in magazines, TV, billboards and all the rest of it. If everyone put as much thought and effort into causes that are actually worthwhile, imagine how much more pleasant the world would be? What a sick and superficial species we are. And the advertisers can go *f* themselves.

Before I go--a question to the male posters who say there's nothing sexy about plus size women, I ask you this. If you were looking for female company and had only the following two ladies to try and convince to be your lover, who would you pursue? 1) a size 18 woman with plump smooth skin, ample breasts, luxurious hair, great sense of style, a lovely smile, healthy lifestyle, mentally sound, minty fresh breath, a kind heart, and really into love-making --or-- 2) a size 4 woman with a slender and toned body (looks great in tight jeans or a bikini), a 34DD boob job, a fake tan, a crooked nose, pimples, bleached out hair, smoker's voice and breath to match, fairly frigid unless she's drunk, and crabby as all hell....who would you pick as your lover?

Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,806,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Plus sized clothing needs plus sized models. Just don't go parading about trying to sell plus sized models as being sexy because although they can be beautiful, there is nothing "sexy" about being plus sized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
That's an overreaction, considering no one said anyone who isn't a VS model or the size of one is not sexy to anyone.
Then what do you make of the above statement?

Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM

670 posts, read 1,045,595 times
Yes to more plus-sized models. However, places like QVC and HSN's plus-sized models are very well proportioned. To be chosen as a model through whatever agency they go through, their bust-waist-hips all have to fall within certain measurements.

Many of us are proportioned oddly. I could never buy one of their two-piece outfits on the shopping channels, because I wear size small pants, but need an XL on top due to broad shoulders and heavy breasts. Everyone has different figure issues, so models of all sizes should be used IMO.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,232 times
Default if more thought this way, how great would that be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I've said this in the past "if I can lift her up, she's good2go"
If more men thought this way instead of model size or shape the average women might have a better opinion of herself.
A large number of women have negative opinions of them selves because a large number of men want a super model type female. And lets face it most of us aint. Yes we use every ounce of strength trying to obtain that model shape and size and some fight the scales all thier lives. Never learning to love themselves just the way they are. Yes its important to be healthy and you want to have confidence in how you look but as a society we put to much emphasis on the looks and weight of models.

Its refreshing to see that some men dont look at weight or size but at the total package.

I believe they should have the avarage plus size women with the stocky boxy shape or apple shape modeling the plus size clothes. Lets get real women to model, so we can tell what real women look like in the clothes. Just my honest opinon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty