Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times

Advertisements

Definitely. Guys think that by helping a beautiful women there's a slim chance they can segway into asking her for her number or something, or simply because they can't help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,790,560 times
Hmm, a stranger did recently give me a pair of pants. Do you think that counts as pretty privilege?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM

632 posts, read 1,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Privileges towards the beautiful people.
Beautiful people totally have it easier in life than the less attractive ones. Walk into any unemployment office and count the number of beautiful women you see there. Go to any city where public transportation isnt the norm (Los Angeles for example) and you will almost never see a beautiful woman waiting at the bus stop (unless she's just outside of USC or UCLA waiting for a school shuttle).

Ever see an ugly barista at Starbucks? Not me. Ever seen a beautiful girl working the drive through or french fries station at McDonalds? Not me.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Just was watching How i met your mother last episode, and Robin (a beautiful woman) had some clip showing all the privileges she had for being beautiful, like getting free stuff, not having to wait in line for anything, not having to pay for anything, not even rent, and so on.

Of course it was a hyperbole to make people laugh, but i do think Beautiful people get a lot of advantage in real life.

Is there anyone here that have had this sort of treatment?
Like being able to not wait in line due to being pretty, or getting free stuff, or whatever. I bet they are a lot of examples. I have a model male friend who is EXTREMELY beautiful and the other day he was telling me and my friend all the advantages he haves and we were like .

I have had some advantages here and there, but very small ones (like when i was in Paris in October, the clerck of an internet point didnt wanted to charge me and keep asking me how i was doing and where was i from, etc. Also when i was younger, guys gave me free stuff in bars, etc), but i think there are more related to being a woman (most women get free drinks in pubs/bars at one point in their life) than to being beautiful. I ve never got any strong advantage for my physical beauty. Of course im just average. But maybe the beautiful people here can share their stories

ps: oh, well i just remember one boss i had a few years ago told me, after i started working, that he hired me cause of my resume picture, and cause i was beautiful. But he was more teasing with me than being truthful, i think. Thats the closest to "beautiful privilege" i got, and i dont think it was even true.

If you are female this only happens to you when dealing with men. Deal with women and you get the opposite side of that stick unless they are old enough to be your grandma (and are not bitter).
Men who hire you just to soft ball some sexual harassment in there is a privilege? I did not know that.

It can be a problem as much as a "privilege". It all depends on the environment and the subject.

Your boss would of not received a positive response from me with that comment.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Beautiful people totally have it easier in life than the less attractive ones. Walk into any unemployment office and count the number of beautiful women you see there. Go to any city where public transportation isnt the norm (Los Angeles for example) and you will almost never see a beautiful woman waiting at the bus stop (unless she's just outside of USC or UCLA waiting for a school shuttle).

Ever see an ugly barista at Starbucks? Not me. Ever seen a beautiful girl working the drive through or french fries station at McDonalds? Not me

Yes and yes. I would take pics to share but thats just rude.

I had a weirdo try to touch me on the bus in LA once on the way to pick up my car...
That was an awesome privilege.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
When my daughter was in her teens and early twenties she was a beauty queen and did some paid and unpaid modeling (including several full page photographs in magazines)---needless to say she was on the beautiful list. She was also rather well endowed which caused quite a stir at times.

However, once she was prescribed some new medications (weight gain was a side effect) and started to eat normally (rather than totally starve herself to stay a size zero or two) everything changed.

It was rather perplexing to her. Whereas before she had her pick of jobs (in HS & college) after she gained a few pounds she searched and searched and finally got a job as a janitor in a gym. She couldn't understand it, she kept saying "I'm the same person, with the same brain and the same skills, why can't I find a job as easily as I did before?"

She used to, almost literally, need to beat guys off with a stick, now she complains to me that she is hardly ever asked out and no one pays any attention to her in social situations.

Although she is average weight she says that it is amazing how differently she is treated now than when she was "fashion model thin and beautiful". She still has the same beautiful face and hair and brain just not the same body.

She is (she claims) happy with her weight and wouldn't go back to eating a very, very small amount of calories a day just to stay thin but says she does miss all of the attention. She does wonder if she had that same figure now, plus her college degree and all of her experience would she have been hired in her dream job instead of needing to work two jobs that aren't in her field just to try to pay her bills?

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-23-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,882,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When my daughter was in her teens and early twenties she was a beauty queen and did some paid and unpaid modeling (including several full page photographs in magazines)---needless to say she was on the beautiful list. She was also rather well endowed which caused quite a stir at times.

However, once she was prescribed some new medications (weight gain was a side effect) and started to eat normally (rather than totally starve herself to stay a size zero or two) everything changed.

It was rather perplexing to her. Whereas before she had her pick of jobs (in HS & college) after she gained a few pounds she searched and searched and finally got a job as a janitor in a gym. She couldn't understand it, she kept saying "I'm the same person, with the same brain and the same skills, why can't I find a job as easily as I did before?"

She used to, almost literally, need to beat guys off with a stick, now she complained to me that she was hardly ever asked out and no one paid any attention to her at all in social situations.

Although she is average weight she says that it is amazing how differently she is treated now than when she was "fashion model thin and beautiful".

She is (she claims) happy with her weight and wouldn't go back to eating a few hundred calories a day just to stay thin but says she does miss all of the attention. She does wonder if she had that same figure now, plus her college degree and all of her experience would she have been hired in her dream job instead of working two jobs that aren't in her field?
I simply can't see this happening unless she blew up well beyond an "average" weight. From gracing magazines to working as a janitor? And one need not starve themselves to stay thin.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,155,755 times
Yes. When I was younger I would get free pastries at La Madeleine bakery when there was a young man tending the counter. I once walked into a professor's office to talk to him about my grade, which I believed was wrong, and when he looked up to see me, his jaw fell open and he stared for a few minutes while I explained my situation. He didn't even let me finish. He looked up my name in the roster and changed my grade up on the spot. I was perplexed to say the least. I've never been unemployed if not by my own will. I pretty much know that I will walk into an interview and get the job if it's a man making the decision. Now, granted, I am a very accomplished professional so I know that my looks coupled with my experience will almost guarantee me the job IF a man is making the decision {I'm 42 now btw}. Women, not so much. But yeah, now my daughter has this happen to her. When she goes to the bank, if a male teller is standing around, he immediately opens a window just for her! She gets free meals at restaurants, etc. It's funny actually now that she tells me this. Her boyfriend is NOT amused!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I simply can't see this happening unless she blew up well beyond an "average" weight. From gracing magazines to working as a janitor? And one need not starve themselves to stay thin.
She isn't working as a janitor now, but did in college. She had worked as someone who gave tours to college freshman one summer and after she stopped being "thin" the University did not rehire her for that job the next summer even she though she had received some type of an award for "outstanding preformance" or worker of the month or something like that.

I think that she was (is) a person who wasn't "naturally thin" but really needed to eat virtually nothing and exercise a lot to stay a size zero or size two. It wasn't until we see her now, at a size six, eating and exercising a normal amount that we realize that what she did before wasn't normal.

Ask a few of your adult female friends who are a size zero how much they actually get to eat in a typical day. You may be surprised at how little it really is.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,882,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
She isn't working as a janitor now, but did in college. She had worked as someone who gave tours to college freshman one summer and after she stopped being "thin" the University did not rehire her for that job the next summer even she though she had received some type of an award for "outstanding preformance" or worker of the month or something like that.

I think that she was (is) a person who wasn't "naturally thin" but really needed to eat virtually nothing and exercise a lot to stay a size zero or size two. It wasn't until we see her now, at a size six, eating and exercising a normal amount that we realize that what she did before wasn't normal.

Ask a few of your adult female friends who are a size zero how much they actually get to eat in a typical day. You may be surprised at how little it really is.
Not sure if I have any that are actual size zeros (I'm not good with women's sizes anyway, so even if I did, I wouldn't know who to ask). There is someone that has already posted in this thread that could possibly shed light on this, but I'll let her answer this on her own if she chooses to do so. Some of us are blessed with higher metabolisms than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty