Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "dressed up"?

Is chinos + button down "dressed up"?
Is a dress shirt + chinos "dressed up"?
Is a dress shirt + wool trousers "dressed up"?
What about jeans and a dress shirt?

On most day I am "dressed up" (depending on how you define it). At work, I have to dress up. Outside of work, it's mainly chino's, sport shirts, button downs (short and long sleeve), dress shirts, etc. Rarely do I wear just a t-shirt and jeans with sneakers. It's not about impressing anyone, just about looking good, feeling good, and presenting yourself as a proper gentleman.

I am a 26 year old male.
Personally I like to see button downs and nice sweaters show up occasionally in a man's wardrobe. I live in a super casual place, so if I see a man in a button down or a blazer he completely stands out. Most people are wearing ill-fitting t-shirts and jeans.

But you can also feel "dressed up" in nice jeans (dark wash, slimmer fit) and a well fitting polo. Depends on the guy.

But everyone looks better when they look like they put some thought into the outfit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,408,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
As a guy, I usually dress very casually, and try to be "event appropriate". But if I'm going to wear shorts and a T-shirt, I'll usually ask my date if she minds (until I get to know her better). I'm not a designer kinda guy, but I do try to look like I thought about how I look on a first date.

As a guy, I also like a woman that can look good in jeans and a T-shirt, that doesn't need a lot of make-up, and that generally has natural beauty. That's what attracts me, so I try to not overdo it when I dress either.

I'm me, and don't want to put on any facades. It would suck if someone who I really liked fell in love with "fake me".
This post makes me smile. Before my SO and I met and went out on our first date, I told him I hoped he didn't mind, but I wasn't getting all dressed up. I wore an Old Navy t-shirt and a pair of shorts. It was burning up hot outside and I didn't look sloppy but I was not planning to be miserable and burn up outside in DC.

I found out around our first anniversary he had gone out and bought a bunch of dressier clothes. LOL

Ah well. He got the real me, and I got the real him. Thats how I like it.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,229,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Do girls here prefer their guys to wear the latest J. Crew fashion trends or do you think guys look better with jeans and a nice shirt on? Obviously this all about opinion, but I've noticed a lot of guys dressing super preppy when going out and whether girls prefer guys like that or a little more casual.
Hmmmm. I intrigued by the characterization of J. Crew. The last time I bought from that outlet was in the early 80's, I guess. My feeling about it at the time was that it was simply a casual sweater, sweatshirt, chinos outlet...I thought their stuff didn't really have any "fashion trends."

Of course, times change and it sounds as if they are a bit more upscale than I remember.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,060,836 times
I like a man who cleans up nicely. (Interpret that however you will.)

Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,161,952 times
I like them to be clean, and not sloppy. But I prefer a jeans and t-shirt type.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:43 AM

480 posts, read 1,920,429 times
Dunno about the gals, but I like a woman that does both.

However, few things are more sexy than a woman in a nice snug pair of butt-hugging jeans. Even women who (usually in their own mind) don't have that great of a butt...usually a nice pair of jeans sets it off well.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,403,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Hmmmm. I intrigued by the characterization of J. Crew. The last time I bought from that outlet was in the early 80's, I guess. My feeling about it at the time was that it was simply a casual sweater, sweatshirt, chinos outlet...I thought their stuff didn't really have any "fashion trends."

Of course, times change and it sounds as if they are a bit more upscale than I remember.
have u looked at a catalog of theirs recently?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM

947 posts, read 1,646,309 times
To be fair J.Crew is not necessarily dressy, it's just preppy. One can be preppy and still be underdressed, depending upon the occasion. I always prefer my man to be dressed appropriately... Jeans and a nice shirt for casual activities such as going to the movies, bowling, dinner at the Olive Garden. I do expect my man to be dressed up. If were going out for a romantic dinner at a fancy restaurant, where you pay for the gourmet food and the ambience, weddings, etc. I don't care about the labels are whether it's designer. I only care that he looks presentable and is dressed appropriately for the event. If a man dresses down and a woman is appropriately dressed, you end up looking like Frick and Frak. Based on my own experience, if a man's view of dressing differs from that of his partner or vice versa then chances are they are not suitably matched for one another.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,403,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
To be fair J.Crew is not necessarily dressy, it's just preppy. One can be preppy and still be underdressed, depending upon the occasion. I always prefer my man to be dressed appropriately... Jeans and a nice shirt for casual activities such as going to the movies, bowling, dinner at the Olive Garden. I do expect my man to be dressed up. If were going out for a romantic dinner at a fancy restaurant, where you pay for the gourmet food and the ambience, weddings, etc. I don't care about the labels are whether it's designer. I only care that he looks presentable and is dressed appropriately for the event. If a man dresses down and a woman is appropriately dressed, you end up looking like Frick and Frak. Based on my own experience, if a man's view of dressing differs from that of his partner or vice versa then chances are they are not suitably matched for one another.
true, i dont mind getting dressed up. I just dont like being preppy and the stigma along with it

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,603,356 times
There is a time and place for everything. That applies to dressing up and dressing casually. If you go to a ballgame, you will look a little ridiculous dressed in formal wear. In a situation like that, not only is it more appropriate that you dress casually (to blend in of course), but the casual look also looks better. I am saying this as a person that likes both likes on women, formal and casual. Both looks have their appeal to me. hence, certain situations just seem to enhance that appeal. It just depends on the situation, the time and place, for determining whether or not I like the opposite sex in casual or dressier wear.

Note: This is from a man's point of view on the woman. As a man, I prefer to dress in casual clothes because they are far more comfortable (though I do like the look). Then again, I am not dating right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty