Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 07:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times

Advertisements

Well, yes, treat those expensive specs with respect. I’ve worn glasses since third grade, and I have to say I was never particularly careful with them. The advice about scratching is good though. Only use a soft microfiber or soft cotton cloth to wipe them.

There is nothing worse than looking at someone who is wearing dirty lenses. Get in the habit of rinsing your glasses every day and wiping them with a microfiber cloth. I use a squirt of foam hand soap on them, and rinse before wiping.

If you can read without your glasses, sure. I do the same.

I suggest using them most of the time. You will appreciate the clarity of your surroundings. I agree that your eyes might continue to change. But they will likely stabilize in a few years.

IMO, you need a pair of sunglasses. Your eyes need their protection when you are outdoors.

If your glasses seem uncomfortable after you’ve worn them a few weeks, go back to have them adjusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 10:54 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,175,181 times
Never put your eyeglasses down with the lens on top of hard surfaces, it may seem like it is okay, but that's how little scratches come about, always take the time to fold them and face up. What the other posters say about microfiber fabric is totally correct. If you rinse your glasses and then take a paper towel to them, you might as well sandpaper them. I learned this the hard way with my glasses. Once they get scratches, they really dull your vision.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:46 PM

11,657 posts, read 12,744,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
You are "Short Sighted" now.. So best you only wear them when driving, or need to see longer distances.. This is how my eyesight started to deteriorate some 40 years ago.. .. Only wear them when you need them..

My brother had the same up until a few years ago ( he's now 76 yrs old) and constantly had takes glasses off to read texts or view close up anything).

My history was losing long distance acuity that slowly deteriorated over decades. My fir set of glass ended up to be "Multi focal" which means upper part was for distance ( needed for driving i.e.) but close up reading, seeing clearly written/computer screens etc..

I'm surprised your ophthalmologist did instruct you/ much less the provider of your prescription eyewear?

Anyway, Don't wear constantly them, but keep them handy .. especially if driving.. seeing highway signage will be necessary when looking for signage + seeing traffic way ahead could get missed !

BTW~~ This type of decline in Eyesight is not so bad..Just learn to use them appropriately.. BTW~~ IF you Golf.. you may need to wear them hung around your neck ( remember sunglass attachments) during those 18 holes!!
The OP is from 8 years ago. Hopefully, by now, he knows what to do and has replaced his original pair a few times.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:18 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,055,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There are eye strengthening exercises that will help with your eyesight. You can google them and there are several websites out there. It takes some motivation and dedication to follow the program.

Also, strange as it may seem, I would try to find an acupuncture clinic that is trained in eye care (no, they DON'T stick a needle in your eye). Where I live there is a clinic in Arkansas that specializes in eye care treatments. Apparently, acupuncture can be quite effective for eye disorders and treatments.

I was told, some 30+ years ago that I needed glasses and I wore them for a while. But I did not like the idea of being dependent upon something like that so I refused to continue wearing them. These days I wear reading glasses because I am at "that age". But I will not wear "regular" glasses as long as I can see well enough to get along. Of course, if you eyesight is really bad you do not have the luxury of a choice.

The muscles in your eyes will get lazier and lazier and you will need progressively stronger prescriptions all your life. But if you do not wish to play out that script, there are alternatives available.

20yrsinBranson

Actually, this isn't quite true. I've worn glasses since I was 7 yrs. old. I was very near sighted and had an astigmatism.

I'm 62 now, and my astigmatism is gone, AND my eyesight is better. Not quite as near sighted as I used to be. But like my eye doctor told me, I won't live long enough to have perfect vision. LOL

Old 10-08-2019, 07:41 AM

6,836 posts, read 11,587,930 times
I know this is a resurrected thread but here are my suggestions:

Don’t clean your glasses by rubbing them on a tee shirt. If there’s any polyester in the fabric, the lenses will scratch.

When you get a new pair, store the old ones in a backpack or tote bag that you take while traveling. That way they’ll go with you. (Voice of experience speaking here)

Walmart Vision Center sells a little spray bottle with lens cleaner. Free refills for life. Best investment ever.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,055,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I know this is a resurrected thread but here are my suggestions:

Don’t clean your glasses by rubbing them on a tee shirt. If there’s any polyester in the fabric, the lenses will scratch.

When you get a new pair, store the old ones in a backpack or tote bag that you take while traveling. That way they’ll go with you. (Voice of experience speaking here)

Walmart Vision Center sells a little spray bottle with lens cleaner. Free refills for life. Best investment ever.
I use a drop of dish soap (usually Dawn) on each lens, to clean them. Works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty