Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,192,032 times

Advertisements

I don't think he will make it this far. I think there is a ditch with his name on it in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,232,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
I don't think he will make it this far. I think there is a ditch with his name on it in Canada.
Some of those ditches have very low banks on the far side. There are some of those off the Parks over the mountains coming down to Ester and Fairbanks. Years ago one of my daughter drove her car, with two kids inside, about 50 feet or more down the side. Luckily if wasn't a drop, but more of a gradual slope, and there were no big trees in the way. It was during the Spring, so the dirt and snow cushioned the car on its way down. She never rolled the car I don't know if she was more scared than I was when she called me with the news.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 11,650 times
We are here because hubby is in the military if u have the option to not come here TAKE IT! THIS PLACE SUCKS!

Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM

20,296 posts, read 37,232,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkles45 View Post
We are here because hubby is in the military if u have the option to not come here TAKE IT! THIS PLACE SUCKS!
Some people love it, while others hate it. But in reality the place you are at makes no difference as long as you enjoy participating in local activities, or the outdoors, and so on. Half the battle is won when one starts experiencing happy moments. A tad of happiness here and there adds up, but such does not come from the place, nor from others around you.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,532,369 times
Yes Ray I agree. A lot of time the place you are at is what you make of it.

And I have found the same thing that you have talked about as well. Either people LOVE it or HATE it. It seems like there are very few people that are in the middle ground. I have seen some people around me all of a sudden go from love it to hate it too. But once the feeling of I hate it here sets in, it is tough to change.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:27 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Some people love it, while others hate it. But in reality the place you are at makes no difference as long as you enjoy participating in local activities, or the outdoors, and so on. Half the battle is won when one starts experiencing happy moments. A tad of happiness here and there adds up, but such does not come from the place, nor from others around you.
This is 100% true. In one of my past lives I got a promotion & transfer to Pensacola that I felt like I had to take. I had traveled there many times for work and I knew I didn't like it there. I didn't like anything about it. I am not a beach person. I am a mountain person, and I detest hot weather. But once we got there I FOUND things that I loved to do there... mostly, I fished in the Gulf of Mexico as often as possible. I took road trips to places like the Smoky Mountains.

Miserable people take their misery with them everywhere they go.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:34 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,175,839 times
So not sure if you guys remember or not, but there was someone here that was planning on moving up here this month. His family did take a job and the husband just completed his drive up here from GA. He came up in a truck with 4X4.

I've talked with him a few times and he has his head on straight. THey came up in December to scout it out and look for housing, however his drive wasn't easy.

I believe he said the drive was life changing, beautiful, challenging and at times frightening. I know he ended up in a ditch at least once and had some other issues that wouldn't be bad in the lower 48, but were different on the Al-Can.

I hope he comes back here and shares his experience. OP, make sure you trade that Prius in.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,389,050 times
My DH drove Spectra from FAI to Anchorage - Seward or Valdez many times, including winter times, no accidents. I don't think AL-Can is somehow worse. By the way, he only was driving in big-big-big city before that. So no need to think only sourdoughs can survive on the road. Brain can substitute for AK snottiness big time.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:00 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,175,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
My DH drove Spectra from FAI to Anchorage - Seward or Valdez many times, including winter times, no accidents. I don't think AL-Can is somehow worse. By the way, he only was driving in big-big-big city before that. So no need to think only sourdoughs can survive on the road. Brain can substitute for AK snottiness big time.
Let's see...Fairbanks to Anchorage is what 1/4 of the miles? And we will assume your DH had a car prepared for AK? right?

Old 01-23-2016, 02:12 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,389,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Let's see...Fairbanks to Anchorage is what 1/4 of the miles? And we will assume your DH had a car prepared for AK? right?
Fai-Anc is 360 miles. Al-Can is 1390. Nobody forces anyone to drive it in one seat, right? There are many places with motels and bed-and-breakfasts. And why it would be a problem to prepare a car for winter? Change the tires, and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks