Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Depends on what you want.

If you want sunshine and warm weather: head to Spain, Italy, Greece, and any other Southern European country.

If you want an economically power driven background: Germany, France, and the UK

If you want beautiful natural wonders: Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and certain Eastern and Northern European countries (Scandinavia)

If you want to have great social safety net programs with very good quality of life (coming with the highest taxes): Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark

My personal choice would be anyone of the Scandinavian countries (except Denmark since I heard that racism is far worse over there compared to the usual Nordic standards). I like the cold winters and cool summers since I dress better wearing winter clothes and I would not mind paying extra taxes if it means free higher education and good social government programs to aide me when I am down on my luck.

Only problem is that I do not know the languages of any one of those countries nor do I have family up there !
So you just wanna move for the benefits? Doesn't sound like a very contributory immigrant to me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM

219 posts, read 436,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I was just talking about watching tv or taking a shower... Playing a piano at night would be very inconsiderate to the neighbours of course.
Then you can understand the parallel between cranking the stereo volume up high, and doing the same with the TV.

I don't know where you live, but Americans often are the ones who have trouble with minor restrictions like the ones you mention. They often are focussed on "Freedom", and consider any limitations to their activities to be a manifestation of a police state. Some fail to understand that "freedom" includes the choice to moderate one's activities so as not to impose oneself on others. It's an adult understanding of "freedom" vs. a child's.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So you just wanna move for the benefits? Doesn't sound like a very contributory immigrant to me .
Well, if I am legally working, not taking advantage of the system, and paying taxes (like I mentioned in my post) I am entitled to them by law.

Honestly, I am not going to apply myself as an asylum seeker and expect to receive benefits without paying any taxes. And I only would apply for them after becoming a citizen who speaks the language and is temporarily unemployed and/or injured which i hope does not happen but it is at least a relief to have those programs there just in case something bad happens.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
France is the best European country for plenty of reasons, especially for Scenery, Architecture, Nature scenery, Quality of Life, Entertainment, Cosmopolitan Diversity, Variety, People Scene, Lifestyle, and More.

There is plenty of other European countries I enjoy, respect, and appreciate a lot too that also do well for most of those qualities: Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Czech Republic.

I thought a lot more people in this topic would say France is the best European country, so that was surprising not a lot of people said this country.

France in some ways really reigns supreme in Europe, but maybe its good most French people are very modest and almost never arrogant, even maybe a bit too modest and humble.

Last edited by ; 04-15-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 AM

684 posts, read 1,122,077 times
If you want a free and tolerant society, the UK has no equal in the world bar Canada. The UK is a wonderful place, where 95% of folk are cool with everyone.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
France is the best European country for plenty of reasons, especially for Scenery, Architecture, Nature scenery, Quality of Life, Entertainment, Cosmopolitan Diversity, Variety, People Scene, Lifestyle, and More.

There is plenty of other European countries I enjoy, respect, and appreciate a lot too that also do well for most of those qualities: Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Czech Republic.

I thought a lot more people in this topic would say France is the best European country, so that was surprising not a lot of people said this country.

France in some ways really reigns supreme in Europe, but maybe its good most French people are very modest and almost never arrogant, even maybe a bit too modest and humble.
The French are the LEAST modest and most arrogant people in the world let alone Europe!!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The French are the LEAST modest and most arrogant people in the world let alone Europe!!
I thought that was the Germans and Austrans IN GENERAL, esp, those from Vienna?! Don't believe all those ''best cities to live in'' surveys! Many only like you if you are white, pretty or maybe you are good-looking . Not sure about the Swiss.

Of course, there are pleasant ones around, too..

Last edited by Gudra; 04-22-2013 at 12:23 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
The uk obviously.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:08 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I'm so tired of the garbage going on in North America. Out-of-control illegal alien take over, welfare to people who don't work, no morals, no one on the same page, etc. The U.S. is almost gone, and it's more a feeling than anything else. I was just wondering what's the best European country to live in, preferably English-speaking? The U.K.? Northern Ireland? Thanks.
Northern Ireland hahah thats a first. Do not come here. The people are narrowminded boring and all it does is rain.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
LOL, gotta love the irony of this post (I know it's four years old). He hates immigration and multiculturalism but wants to become an immigrant in another country. If that isn't ironic, I don't know what is!

Everyone loves to bash on immigrants (illegals, I understand, but legals have become targets too) but they've never put themselves in the shoes of someone who was unfortunate enough to be born in a third world country and carry a third world passport.

I'm from a third world country and married a Frenchwoman. More often than not, people just assume we're colleagues, or FWBs, or temporary bf/gf at best. When we tried to get our marriage legalized at the French Embassy in Canada, an employee working there told my wife that I had only married her for getting French citizenship and that she was stupid to marry me instead of marrying a French person or a Canadian. Because, French men and Canadian men are obviously superior marriage material. The amount of racism that exists in these first world nations is staggering, and only people of color really know how deep it runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe