Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has a yard sign had any effect on your vote?
Yes, helped me decide who to vote for 1 2.44%
Yes, changed my vote 0 0%
NO! 38 92.68%
Yes, but I changed to the other candidate 2 4.88%
Unsure 0 0%
I'm too ashamed to answer honestly 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,272,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Yard signs don't change my opinion about anything except my neighbors.
Yep.

I never put up political signs of any kind in my yard, cubical, etc. It's nobody's business who I support. And I don't want people making assumptions about me because of who I vote for.

Funny Story: When I was growing up one of our neighbors ran and won the county commissioner seat. Well after a poor performance (and the fact that our badly worn street didn't get repaved) my dad put up a sign in the front yard supporting his opponent in the next election. Needless to say there has always been some friction between my father and the next door neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,864,793 times
I like them, I have one. It makes me feel like I am doing something other than just voting even though I know I'm not changing anyone's mind.

Stupid me though, I kept seeing this sign all around the place saying "vote no on food tax". Well I was in the voting booth, and thought I should vote no since, hey, food's expensive, gotta vote no. Well it turns out that I should have voted yes, after I read the silly thing. So, yes, I guess signs have swayed my vote. But not for something like the presidency. And I like bumper stickers too. I guess I'm just one of those annoying people who like slogans.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
Well... I don't know about your areas, but in mine people don't just put up dinky little signs. They put up GIANT PIECES OF PAINTED PLYWOOD with their views on them. The conclusion I have come to is that my county is I believe the only one on the coast of California to consistently vote republican, there are quite a few religious people on my street and most people want gay marriage to be banned. I have also realized that those neighbors with the 'yes on prop 8' and McCain/Palin are the neighbors that never wave, never say hello and constantly call the cops on us (my roomate works overnight and my neighbors don't like cars being started up at 3 am) even before the election. It's just interesting driving around town and seeing how 'traditional' everything is...it's weird for a California coastal town....

Old 10-30-2008, 11:43 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,669,312 times
Just changes people's minds regarding their neighbors. Lol.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 AM

745 posts, read 1,298,058 times
I voted NO but I don't think the signs are ineffective.

I leave in a deep RED state, but strangely, there are scant few McCain-Palin signs. Just driving around you'd think the state was going to vote overwhelmingly for Obama-Biden, but that's not going to happen. I think it's indicative of how many of the Repub base are not particularly enthused with the McCain campaign, but are still not going to vote for a Democrat.

I think the most powerful effect of the yard signs is that in entrenched states, it brings voters who have felt helpless to the realization that there are other people out there that think like they do.
They help hopeless democrats in red states and their counterparts in blue states to realize that there is still some hope for their state, lost cause though it may seem.

Look at VA and NC, no one would have thought they would have had a chance to go blue this year, to say nothing of GA, MT, or WV. Imagine a candidate compelling enough to turn IL and/or CA red.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:51 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,720,454 times
Too afraid of the fallout to put out a yard sign...unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections