Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i am more surprised at the company obama still keeps.....
I just think it's a shame he has to hide his association with these people because of his higher ambitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I know I was and I sought out radical people. Didn't you ever question the world you lived in, justice, social problems etc or did you just sail blindly through college in a stupor.

Why are some of you surprised about Obama's earlier views and the company he kept?
yes, i did, and so it doesn't surprise me. i just don't think that ayers is a bad person. since obama met him he has been in civil rights and has won awards and at this moment over 2,000 academic people have signed a petition saying that he is not a terrorist. why isn't this list in the news?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Keep it up guys, I can't wait for the current Republican party to collapse. Perhaps, then us real fiscal conservatives can remake the party the way it was. Good work!
i hope you are right, but i fear that the election will be stolen again.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 AM

543 posts, read 1,455,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I know I was and I sought out radical people. Didn't you ever question the world you lived in, justice, social problems etc or did you just sail blindly through college in a stupor.

Why are some of you surprised about Obama's earlier views and the company he kept?
No, I was more liberal before I had a family to care for and reality set in. But I never hated my country.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 AM

493 posts, read 717,436 times
I became "radical" at age 16, when I began to question Christianity. I got around other faiths like Hinduism and Buddhism (friends in school) and wondered what made Christianity so much better, why was theirs wrong and mine right? I went to my pastor and he couldn't answer to my satisfaction. He said, because it says it in the Bible... that just didn't do it for me at all.

I then began to enlighten myself, search out my own truth and when things like that happen, your eyes become open to the WORLD in ways that you hadn't noticed before. Your curiosity grows and you just dive into different things, and yes that means questioning my countries motives. You can watch http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com to get an idea of what type of pondering and conclusion making!

I am also a f.a.g. hag. I love gay people, yet I don't agree with that lifestyle. So you can be around plenty of people that you disagree with, but understand where they are coming from and respect them for their choices in life.

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I graduated from HS in '68 and lived on the west coast Yup, I marched on many issues, the war...ummm that was Viet Nam, womans rights, native american rights to name a few.

I was tired of seeing my friends come home in a box or so devistated and screwed up from the war they became non-functioning people.

I worked as a nurse, sometimes in a VA hospital. I had several years of experience yet new hire male nurses made more than me

I am a mixed blood indian and watching what was happening to my brothers and sisters on and off the rez would make anyone ill.

I was a member of some pretty radical groups at the time...do I regret it...nope. I still work with groups now trying to make the lives of indians better.l
Thank you for your service to the country! Warriors do not all wear uniforms to protect our freedoms.

543 posts, read 1,455,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
My views were much different when I first started college. College in the US is just a much different world than High school or the genera public. Ideas are allowed to flow freely, you can talk about and disagree about current policies without being called names etc. In some sense when you first start college its a shock and your views tend to flop around until you learn more.

You can probably find a quote from any law professor, political science professor etc that makes them sound like a "communist" to the uneducated. In fact if you use any of 'em big and fancy words you're obviously a liberal commie rag.
Ideas are allowed to flow freely on college campuses? Only if you are a liberal...if you are conservative and you want decent grades, you have to keep it to yourself.

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
i never hated my country and never wanted to blow anything up, so i would have to give that a big "no".

Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
yes, i did, and so it doesn't surprise me. i just don't think that ayers is a bad person. since obama met him he has been in civil rights and has won awards and at this moment over 2,000 academic people have signed a petition saying that he is not a terrorist. why isn't this list in the news?
i guess that ayers did not try and blow up anybody in your family so that makes him a good guy in your book.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i never hated my country and never wanted to blow anything up, so i would have to give that a big "no".
Not every radical was out blowing things up! I can remember my sister coming home all black and blue from a sit in where they were dragged down steps and they just wrapped their arms around their heads to keep them from smashing on the steps. The only violence there was the manhandling by the police. Since they had all paid the price of admission (big expensive tuitions, they were not really trespassing, according to the court case) . This was small time stuff in small colleges, all over the country. And since we withdrew from Viet Nam and the domino effect never happened, those "crazy" kids were proven correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections