Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,612,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

What has a bigger effect on peoples minds, writing a blog about how Bush screwed something up, or standing on a busy street corner saying, honk if you think Bush is a pinhead?

I was with you until you created this little quandary... I don't quite know how to respond to such a question....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
^^ I agree - that's how people are so easily manipulated. They stay indoors, hooked up to the TV, radio and internet, being fed. Their "+" buttons get pushed, they get rewarded for posting or being one in the warm fuzzy soup that is (e.g.) Sean Hannity fans.
This is why I often argue to the contrary of popular opinion, regardless if I also hold this opinion or not. It is always easy to seek comfort in the collective voice of agreement than it is to be a vanguard of the most popular held beliefs. Besides, it never hurts to stretch ones self and consider alternative perspectives. Soft and fuzzy is what little children find in their teddy bears on stormy nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I was with you until you created this little quandary... I don't quite know how to respond to such a question....
Working with the Ron Paul campaign, the issue of "pressing the flesh" so to speak, or getting out there and making your physical presence known was a big topic of concern. While in todays age you need both avenues to be effective, I often wonder how diluted the effect of the net is in some circumstances. When you talk to someone personally, or make a physically known presence, the effect just seems more tangible and lasting then simply clicking "next" on ones browser.

Wouldn't it have a greater impact on you if someone personally made an argument towards a given topic in a lucid, rational and logic manner that then forced you to take pause and consider? As opposed to reading a similar argument posted even on a credible information site? Which would you be more likely to still be thinking about the following day?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:31 AM

On second though, I think folks are more inclined to simply rely on the limbic portions of their brain. So much so that they are willing to look like a blubbering idiot on public as long as it feels good to do so.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
This is why I often argue to the contrary of popular opinion, regardless if I also hold this opinion or not. It is always easy to seek comfort in the collective voice of agreement than it is to be a vanguard of the most popular held beliefs. Besides, it never hurts to stretch ones self and consider alternative perspectives. Soft and fuzzy is what little children find in their teddy bears on stormy nights.

Working with the Ron Paul campaign, the issue of "pressing the flesh" so to speak, or getting out there and making your physical presence known was a big topic of concern. While in todays age you need both avenues to be effective, I often wonder how diluted the effect of the net is in some circumstances. When you talk to someone personally, or make a physically known presence, the effect just seems more tangible and lasting then simply clicking "next" on ones browser.

Wouldn't it have a greater impact on you if someone personally made an argument towards a given topic in a lucid, rational and logic manner that then forced you to take pause and consider? As opposed to reading a similar argument posted even on a credible information site? Which would you be more likely to still be thinking about the following day?
The personal contact of course. One of the things that is so phenomenal regarding the candidates this year, are the followings of Senators Obama, Clinton and Paul - Specifically because they are able to transcend the computer touch and make it physical. Make no mistake - Ron Paul is a major player in this game, and his supporters are as loyal as ever. The man is quite literally everywhere but the MSM.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The personal contact of course. One of the things that is so phenomenal regarding the candidates this year, are the followings of Senators Obama, Clinton and Paul - Specifically because they are able to transcend the computer touch and make it physical. Make no mistake - Ron Paul is a major player in this game, and his supporters are as loyal as ever. The man is quite literally everywhere but the MSM.
Which is why I say there is the need for both avenues of message delivery.

I have seen a handful of McCain stickers here in Tennessee, enough to count on one hand. Next would be Hillary stickers which I could count on two. Yet overwhelmingly there is a Ron Paul presence as his signs hang from the buildings of business owners, bumper stickers out numbering all other candidates 20 to 1, and the off chance meeting of complete strangers who may see my visible support and say, "yeah man, Paul is our guy".

Now I realize that part of this is because I support his campaign, as it is like buying a new car and then seeing them all over the place. Even still, there are a good number of people who agree with many of his ideas and I suspect this scares the hell out of the Washington establishment.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Quote:

I have seen a handful of McCain stickers here in Tennessee, enough to count on one hand. Next would be Hillary stickers which I could count on two. Yet overwhelmingly there is a Ron Paul presence as his signs hang from the buildings of business owners, bumper stickers out numbering all other candidates 20 to 1, and the off chance meeting of complete strangers who may see my visible support and say, "yeah man, Paul is our guy".

Now I realize that part of this is because I support his campaign, as it is like buying a new car and then seeing them all over the place. Even still, there are a good number of people who agree with many of his ideas and I suspect this scares the hell out of the Washington establishment.
What can be done, though? He doesnt have the nomination, he won't be president. Would he want to be VP? Or take a cabinet job? Or run again in 2012?

I ask because I dont know much about him.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,170,224 times
Quote:
What can be done, though? He doesnt have the nomination, he won't be president. Would he want to be VP? Or take a cabinet job? Or run again in 2012?

What can be done is being done. Paul won't be the GOP nominee. He might get to speak at the convention. Instead, he's working within his new PAC to get like minded, small federal gov't candidates elected to the House and Senate in a handful of states. He's educating and asking his supporters not just to donate, but to spend some time walking and talking about his ideas (the same ideas our country was founded on). It's not just about this election, it's about real change. It took us over 200 years to get to the point where the Constitution is something ignored rather than revered. It could take us another 200 to return to it.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:

No, he won't be President and I can assume with some assurances that he won't have a cabinet position or other. Nor will he run again. However he has helped to do something even better in my opinion and that is to reignite a reemergence of the paleoconservatives in the GOP. There is a growing movement of like minded folks that are now running for office's low and high, that were inspired by his campaign and sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

Additionally, there is a dire need for a more critical voice in the mainstream media. One that is willing to tell the unpleasantness of the reality we all experience instead of pandering to the fantasy that we all wish for.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I'm betting it does simply because it too crosses generational lines. This methodology of thought is as old as the Nation and Ron Paul has managed to "surge" it back into the forefront. It is no longer a minor pinprick, it has staying power in the new generation of the electorate.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,955,253 times
Quote:
No, he won't be President and I can assume with some assurances that he won't have a cabinet position or other. Nor will he run again. However he has helped to do something even better in my opinion and that is to reignite a reemergence of the paleoconservatives in the GOP. There is a growing movement of like minded folks that are now running for office's low and high, that were inspired by his campaign and sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

Additionally, there is a dire need for a more critical voice in the mainstream media. One that is willing to tell the unpleasantness of the reality we all experience instead of pandering to the fantasy that we all wish for.
This is needed so badly, I cannot agree with you enough.

I have not been a Paul supporter, but I do agree with the principles behind his campaign, and I deeply respect him and his supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections