Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 06:30 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times

Advertisements

In my mind nothing could be worse than spending the time and effort towards a degree or certification program only to find the field is flooded with applicants and what few jobs might be available might pay $12 or $15/hr.

Some may have read where I talked about the value of ACI (American Concrete Institute) and NICET (National Institute for the Certification in Engineering Technologies) certifications.

It's a specialized niche field that few know even exists and fewer yet work. In case you think there can't be much to concrete check this out. The certifications holding the most value are the ACI Aggregate Technician Certification Program, ACI Inspector Certification Program and ACI Laboratory Technician Certification Program.

I am not ACI certified but I have a NICET Level IV certification (that's how I got my screen name) in another engineering technician field and seeing as how these institutes are all entwined together I know how certification works.

To learn more about it look under the Construction Materials Testing and Transportation at NICET's website here.

It might be hard for some to believe but there's a ton of jobs available even now but not enough qualified applicants to fill them. You don't have to take my word for it just do a Google search of aci ncet jobs and you'll have 61,000 hits in a half a second. You will find few jobs that require a college degree but all these jobs have the minimum requirements of ACI and/or NICET certification as an absolute must have.

I don't have the registry for the NICET programs but I do have it for mine and seeing how the price is exactly the same (the more name the higher the cost) I will estimate the total number of certificate holders, of all levels, to be between 2,000 and 3,000 in the country.

For $50 you can order from NICET the Construction Materials Testing register giving names, cities, states, level and certification numbers and count them yourself.

3,000 tops to fill jobs like this one in New York (it's a direct job not the internet garbage) that pays between $60 and $80k with full fringe benefits. Notice not a word about college because a degree won't help you get it. If a civil engineer degreed person went head to head with someone with the NICET/ACI certs the holder of the certs would get the job. Seems unfair but that is how it is.

Based on what I see in my registry I doubt there are 60 people in the entire state of New York with the qualifications required. Qualified applicants for this job are not winding around the block. They'll be lucky to get a couple applications.

The NICET and ACI certifications are recognized around the country. It is as good in Nevada as it is in Wyoming, Missouri, Florida or new York.

The problem has always been "how do you get in?" I've never seen schools teach the subject it's always been through the industry where you had to have a good mind, know someone and be extremely lucky. Nobody, not even the for profit colleges, have anything close to a program that would get you in the door.

Until now. Lookie at what I found!

Rhodes State College in Ohio has a two year program in Concrete Technology where, just six months after graduation, the student will have Level II certification.

FYI Rhodes is not a for profit or private school it is part of the Ohio State University system. All credits will transfer if you want to go on for a professional engineering degree.

Quote:
A Concrete Technician is a person with training and/or experience required to sit for and successfully pass the American Concrete Institute’s (ACI) Certification tests for Concrete Field Testing Technician - Grade I, Concrete Laboratory Testing Technicians - Grades I and II, Concrete Construction Inspector-In-Training, and Concrete Transportation Construction Inspector-In-Training. A Concrete Technician should also have the experience required to sit for and successfully pass the Ohio Ready Mixed Concrete Association (ORMCA) certification test for Concrete Mix Designers. Furthermore, concrete technicians have knowledge of properties of aggregates, construction practices, inspection and test methods, pavement design and estimating. They are also prepared to work in the public or private sectors as inspectors, testing technicians, quality control personnel, supervisors and managers.
Quote:

This programs curriculum, combining concrete courses with courses related to civil engineering, prepares the graduate for employment with engineering and architectural firms; with federal, state, county, and city governments; and with construction companies and residential builders. Job opportunities are available in the areas of mix designers, material testing technicians, batch plant operators, admixture representatives, plant managers and project managers.

Entry Level Salaries in the field of study: Associate Degree: $27,500 to $32,500
I know they aren't kidding on the entry level salary that's what it is in my field.

Three years after graduation you can sit for the Grade/Level III exam and easily double the entry level salaries. $60,000 to $75,000 is a very reasonable expectation at age 25 for someone with three years experience and a two year degree. Name another two year degree that offers this kind of opportunity.

For months I've looked all over for a program like this and while there may be more this is the first one I've found. Sorry if I am babbling but I am impressed.

Jobs out of school? You might have to spend a whole 72 hours looking in this economic climate but you will get an entry level job before the week is out.

It's all secret and niche. I have a Level IV certification and if I lost my job I would have another in a week or two paying at least $60k. The only reason it would take me a week or two is I am over 60 years old and might have to contend with age discrimination.

Finally, if you think this is a normal city college course given to anyone you'd be sadly mistaken. Make no mistake about it, it is tough.

I don't know what they use in concrete technology but to give you an idea in my field I constantly use the Hardy Cross method to determine flows in various pipes. It was on the test for Level III certification and it had to be accomplished by hand (computers not allowed). Here's a short tutorial if you want to see typical levels of work.

Sorry to babble on but maybe you might know of someone this career path might interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM

81 posts, read 153,041 times
Thanks for the detailed info

Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,769 times
Default Thanks for the Info - Like Gold in These Troubled Times!

Thanks, as always, for your informative posts! It is useful information. Sounds like a win for anybody who is handy, likes to figure things out, and is in a vulnerable position or a declining industry.

This is what they (you know - "THEY") mean when they say we need to reinvent ourselves, IMHO. With the current scarcity of qualified individuals, and the barrier to entry (programs of study plus certification exam), this is one of the few study areas where I would definitely justify taking out a student loan.

I'll pass the info on to my son, one coming out of the military, the other coming out of high school. I remember a pipefitter in this forum who posted that he had been waiting for a union callback for a year. I also hope he reads this.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,796 times
It's all BS in texas. You get in the business and reach for that ACI star....then they tell ya...Oh wait till you get Nicet 2 then you'll make the big bucks. PFFF...yea stuck on some tax funded city job where nobody gives a crap. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment