Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:

It is almost comical how nieve the American public is. Very soon the whole banking industry is going to collapse and everyone's savings are going to be history just like it did in the 1920's. There is no turn around in the future, period. For one thing, inflation is going to rise so bad this year that the dollar will become worthless.
So, basically what your saying is that everyones' savings will disappear (evaporation of money) yet there will be hyperinflation? You do know that those two things are contradictory to one another? Less dollars chasing the same amount of goods = price DEflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM

690 posts, read 2,109,057 times
The housing problem is supposed to get worse this year. We still have a lot of interest-only loans that haven't switched to arrears and a lot of neg-am loans that haven't hit their cap. Probably close to half of the loans that my work services are supposed to get to that point this year, and the higher payments will most likely be unaffordable for a second batch of people.

So, I'm not planning on things getting better anytime soon, but we're not going to have another depression. The people who say that it's going to happen are just trying to get attention or something.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 PM

13 posts, read 26,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
So, basically what your saying is that everyones' savings will disappear (evaporation of money) yet there will be hyperinflation? You do know that those two things are contradictory to one another? Less dollars chasing the same amount of goods = price DEflation.
Actually it's not contradictory at all. If prices go up, like the have been (food etc), then your dollar won't buy as much. That's evaporation.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 PM

13 posts, read 26,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
So, I'm not planning on things getting better anytime soon, but we're not going to have another depression. The people who say that it's going to happen are just trying to get attention or something.
Here are some charts for you to ponder.

Official Scary Chart/Graph Thread! Post your favorite scary charts here! - Gold & Silver Forum

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,905,775 times
I am depressed that my country is run by a bunch of morons.
Does this count as a depression?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Where I lived in California the problem he mentioned has been visible for some time. The small stores leave and a year later they are still empty. There is hardly anyone left in the strip mall and unless there is a very busy grocery store no reason to go there. Larger spaces in malls are empty and have been for awhile. One of the big department stores closed in the Galleria and has been empty for years.

I don't think anyone should take a deep breath of relief until the commercial real estate and the adjustable rate morgages burst and the dust has settled. And when you get enough people without jobs and a portion without homes, people will not necessarily behave like good citizens. And those who have jobs and an income are not going to go and spend unless its absolutely necessary. Its going to take a lot to convince people to go out and be active consumers again and the jobless rate must reverse before that time will come.

I agree with this. +1 for you.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post

The government is taking all of our money spending it. This is going to cause major inflation soon. Not only that, the federal government, including the FDIC, with go broke. When the banking system soon falters afterwords, you will see chaos like you have never seen.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,703,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendico View Post
This chart says it all....

Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,871,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The government is taking all of our money spending it. This is going to cause major inflation soon. Not only that, the federal government, including the FDIC, with go broke. When the banking system soon falters afterwords, you will see chaos like you have never seen.
That is very true. Many people think that FDIC will cover their deposits. FDIC only covers small bank runs. Indymac took out 30% of the FDIC reserves.

If a big 3 bank goes down, it is game over. FDIC will go poof and the government will be forced to declare a bank holiday. At this time the fed is printing up fiat paper (only 3% of the money supply is in actual paper the rest is in digits). They will either write you a check to deposit in another bank (to avoid printing the cash they don't have) and small depositors will get cash. Inflation will be very high at that time as the public starts to lose faith in the currency. They'll look for a way out - gold/silver/consumables will be the only solution.

There is already word that a mini bank run has occurred(a large one) which was stated by a congressman!! Check out the video yourself. This is a US congressman.

Listen very closely after 2:00

YouTube - $550 Billion Dollar Bank Run - Collapse Of The Entire World Economy In 24 hours

Note he did say it would have collapsed THE ENTIRE WORLD ECONOMY IN 24 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what more proof you guys need. I honestly don't know.

Diversify out of the dollar. Buy gold/silver and stuff you will eventually consume. Don't say you weren't warned! I was warning people back in feb 2008 to move to gold/silver. Sell stock and move to gold. Everyone thought I was a nut case at the time! I am laughing all the way to the bank, oh wait, I don't trust the banks anymore haha.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:33 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,211,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
The housing problem is supposed to get worse this year.
Yes, and the commercial property collapse hasn't even begun yet. Ghost malls are the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics