Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you think america is going downhill rapidly?
yes, i am pessimistic 38 55.88%
no, i am optimistic 9 13.24%
it is about the same as it always was 21 30.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times

Advertisements

do you think the fundamentals have changed in this country and we are going downhill rapidly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,984 times
NO, this country is getting better each day that passes..I believe that we have reached a turning point and that we should now have a more optimistic view point.
My Furniture store had is low point in October but sales are up in November and I think December and 2009 will see slow but steady improvments through out the economy!

Cheers!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,151 times
I hope you're right, S6Sputnik, but Austin, TX was the #1 market for real estate appreciation last quarter and it has a healthy job market. It has little relevance to most other markets, which are experiencing continued downward pressure. I would expect that 2009 will show more downside, as the economy tries to find an equilibrium. I think 2009 will be recessionary. It will take a while for any economic stimulus to jumpstart a recovery, and I would guess that both consumers and investors will be cautious.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:59 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
after looking at all of the bailouts posted, i am getting more discouraged. this is quite a deep hole that our government has dug for america.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
do you think the fundamentals have changed in this country and we are going downhill rapidly?
No, and no.

I think the Fundamentals have always been the Fundamentals.

They are, in brief:

Don't Lie, Don't Cheat, Don't Steal. Do not tolerate those who do. Avoid debt, live in surplus. Take care of the kids. Whole book on those and more called Proverbs. Nothing has changed on the Fundamentals in 3000 years.

The thing that makes it look like change is that much of US have been oblivious to these Fundamentals for the last 30 + years.

Overall, we are already way down the hill, but it is taking a while for the luggage, baggage and bills to catch up.

Just be patient, it is coming.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I am not overly optimistic, but I feel that there is only a slight upward trend. The negatives are HUGE and real, from the immediate situation we have with the financial sector and its broader impact on real estate and capital intensive industries to long term trends in failing urban education, lack of low skill jobs, illegal commerce in drugs, undocumented workers, dishonesty of all kinds.

That said, I think there are some positive signs -- pretty much every American feels kinda bad and pretty stupid that we use as much oil as we do. That ought to translate into a desire to INVEST in more efficient cars, homes, appliances -- same sort of thinking that helped cut back on pollution 20_ years ago. It takes a while to turn things, but they will turn.

There is shockingly little effort to root out government corruption / deception at every level. The press is weaker than it has been in the last 50+ years. People generally are NOT SMART either -- too many people have done DUMB things to their personal finance, and there is not effort to wise up.

The "bail outs" are needed, but without people understanding what role they had in fueling the stupidity we might be on a never ending treadmill of propping things up. That won't work.

If people's confidence in markets / systems is restored we have the ability to take the US to an even more exalted place of prominence /leadership in the global markets.

The story is ALWAYS unfolding...

Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,085,163 times
going downhill, but there are usually fits and starts when this happens to a country. Things may improve for a couple of years, then restart the downhill slide

Old 11-29-2008, 12:57 PM

105 posts, read 213,158 times
Originally Posted by floridasandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
No, and no.

I think the Fundamentals have always been the Fundamentals.

They are, in brief:

Don't Lie, Don't Cheat, Don't Steal. Do not tolerate those who do. Avoid debt, live in surplus. Take care of the kids. Whole book on those and more called Proverbs. Nothing has changed on the Fundamentals in 3000 years.

The thing that makes it look like change is that much of US have been oblivious to these Fundamentals for the last 30 + years.

Overall, we are already way down the hill, but it is taking a while for the luggage, baggage and bills to catch up.

Just be patient, it is coming.

+1

Peaple think its bad now what after 2027

Old 11-29-2008, 01:10 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,426,444 times
It's the same as it's always been, it's just that more people are starting to wake up.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:29 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,222,276 times
I really don't know. The economy historically as always gone in cycles and usually corrects itself in time. So, I believe in the best, but am prepared to deal with the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics