Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,868,832 times

Advertisements

Truckers protest high fuel prices - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com

I've seen this in Japan. And I've heard of it happening in Atlanta, as a protest against the 55 mile an hour speed limit on 285.

A Meditation on the Speed Limit (Comments)
Here's a snapshot of the relevant law against it. (For Georgia.)

No two vehicles shall impede the normal flow of traffic by traveling side by side at the same time while in adjacent lanes, provided that this Code section shall not be construed to prevent vehicles traveling side by side in adjacent lanes because of congested traffic conditions.

You know, I once drive 55 on 285...for like an hour...in the slow lane.....'cuz I was bored.

During that time, I was overtaken by every other vehicle on the road.

Truckers shouldn't just "Slow down." Truckers should strike. Because the US would be screwed if the truckers didn't keep on rolling. They're an integral part of our infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 02:51 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,096,188 times
You can't blame our oil/gas problems on anyone else then our politicians. Oil to us, is like cigarettes, alcahol and crime on tv. They tell not to drive so much, eat so much, don't drink or watch tv. They put the control and taxes on all of the above. They don't want to drill for oil here or refine gas here, so we send our money to the other country.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,576,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
You can't blame our oil/gas problems on anyone else then our politicians. Oil to us, is like cigarettes, alcahol and crime on tv. They tell not to drive so much, eat so much, don't drink or watch tv. They put the control and taxes on all of the above. They don't want to drill for oil here or refine gas here, so we send our money to the other country.
It does not appear to be a "Drill" or "Refine" issue. It is a maximum production issue. Sometimes called Peak Oil for short. Tutorial here:

The Oil Drum | overview

Even Exxon has maxed out and says it cannot increase production for the next 4 years (or more). Shell already said they maxed last year.

Why Exxon Won't Produce More (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/mar2008/db20080319_269345.htm?campaign_id=rss_topStories - broken link)

There is a world daily demand around 88 million barrels and a world production around 86 million barrels. Somebody, somewhere, is going to be daily "out bid" for that 2 million barrel shortage. It just gets worse ahead from here. Since production has maxed, the only "hope" is a major world recession or folks choosing to go off oil.

The truckers are simply being "out bid" on the world market. The early projections were that US trucking and driving would stall out at between $5 to $10 a gallon, and airlines out between $10 and $20. Between the truckers and Aloha Airlines, it looks like it is all starting to shut down even faster.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,702,382 times
And while the oil companies make billions in profits they only toss a few hundred grand into alternative energy research. Yup..those oil companies are gonna milk this til it's dry.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM

5,643 posts, read 25,013,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And while the oil companies make billions in profits they only toss a few hundred grand into alternative energy research. Yup..those oil companies are gonna milk this til it's dry.
Oil companies make about the same percentage of profit as most industries and much less than many.

As far as alternate energy research, why would an oil company be the right people to spend their budget on it... wouldn't you want them to spend their funds on drilling and refining so that we can continue to drive until there is a new energy source?

Why not have GE, Bank of America, or Microsoft fund research into alternative energy? They make huge profits with larger margins and any capital diverted would not jeopardize our current energy supply.

It is really simple logic and math that shows that the oil companies have no magic answer to the supply and demand reasons that are increasing fuel costs. Instead of bashing them maybe we should work on having a real national energy policy.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,837 posts, read 58,425,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
As far as alternate energy research, why would an oil company be the right people to spend their budget on it... wouldn't you want them to spend their funds on drilling and refining so that we can continue to drive until there is a new energy source?

Why not have GE, Bank of America, or Microsoft fund research into alternative energy? They make huge profits with larger margins and any capital diverted would not jeopardize our current energy supply.

as a diesel driver (and previous / current PT commercial driver) I agree with this,

Big oil should stick with their expertise, while improving productivity. Let innovative companies develop the alternative energy sector and keep government supportive, but clear of the decision or driving force. National Renewable Energy Lab excluded. (an entity that actually does something rather than political wrangling).

I still feel the diesel issue in USA and Canada is pretty politically motivated, as it can be refined cheaper than gas, and it's excessive price is really a killer on the economy (from farming to transportation). Seems to make sense to ration gas and keep diesel flowing on a 'required-to-do-the-job' allocation basis.

An energy policy is clearly lacking. Nothing short of painful conservation is gonna make a significant difference, but somebody better get off the pot...

I'm definately not keen on the current "transfer of wealth" to countries who consider us Infidels ... something very uncomfortable about that Interesting that OPEC chose to cut production because they claimed our demand was lessening... we (USA) are definately not in the 'driver's seat.... I look for Euro based oil prices in the next 5 - 10 yrs, that is gonna hurt, so... maybe we ought to get off the pot ourselves

"50 MPG since 1976...Where have you been?" VW Rabbits"

Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,828,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Truckers protest high fuel prices - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com

I've seen this in Japan. And I've heard of it happening in Atlanta, as a protest against the 55 mile an hour speed limit on 285.

A Meditation on the Speed Limit (Comments)
Here's a snapshot of the relevant law against it. (For Georgia.)

No two vehicles shall impede the normal flow of traffic by traveling side by side at the same time while in adjacent lanes, provided that this Code section shall not be construed to prevent vehicles traveling side by side in adjacent lanes because of congested traffic conditions.

You know, I once drive 55 on 285...for like an hour...in the slow lane.....'cuz I was bored.

During that time, I was overtaken by every other vehicle on the road.

Truckers shouldn't just "Slow down." Truckers should strike. Because the US would be screwed if the truckers didn't keep on rolling. They're an integral part of our infrastructure.
The only time you can drive anywhere close to 55 on I-285 is at 5AM on Sunday morning! The rest of the time it averages about 10 mph.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,828,024 times
Most of the truckers have a fuel surcharge on what they carry so they are not as bad off as they tell you on TV. If they were really "losing money on every load" they would quit hauling.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,837 posts, read 58,425,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most of the truckers have a fuel surcharge on what they carry so they are not as bad off as they tell you on TV. If they were really "losing money on every load" they would quit hauling.
Typically the big boys are doing the surcharge, independents sometimes get a portion of that, but usually 60 days in the rears.

while it makes little sense to keep driving... $3000+ monthly truck payments + the annual permitting and licensing fees (sunk costs) and hungry kids are keeping drivers doing what they know best. (and many struggle with the decision of when to cut their losses). It is often a passion (like farming) but the farmers are finally getting some revenue. I was selling wheat for $4/bushel in 1975, and $3.80 in 2005. Off road fuel was ~$.30 a gal in 1975, and combines were not $400,000.

The diesel users should just 'shut-r-down' to get the price flipped flopped back to reflect costs of lower processing and higher BTU content,,, and a few SUV's and RVs should be parked (usually discretionary driving). Time for folks to suck it in, and get on the bike.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 PM

186 posts, read 1,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
My father owns his own trucking company. Let me rephrase that, my father is his trucking company. He is the owner and only driver. Why??? He can't afford to cover the fuel cost of having other trucks. The large companies are who charge the fuel surcharge. Most independent drivers do not!!!!! I can tell you my father barely makes enough money to cover the bills associated with the trucking company. The only reason he keeps going is to try and wait it out hoping things get better. He knows a lot of companies that have went under because they can't afford to keep multiple trucks going. Just to give you an idea, my dad spent $90,000 on fuel last year.

Also, the companies that are charging the fule surcharge are generally not the ones striking!!!!! Everything you have purchased from food, medicine, materials for your house has been because of someone driving a truck!! They really deserve a lot more support then they are getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics