Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the US is in a recession?
Yes 64 58.18%
No 27 24.55%
Not Sure 19 17.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,997 times

Advertisements

I'm no economic genius but I think half of this is b.s.

It's rumor then panic. People say "Oh, did you hear, there's a recession!" to one person, then another, so everyone starts hoarding money, not spending, going out to eat, whatever. Suddenly employers cut back on overtime or refuse to hire any more people...it's like a snowball.

The news reports every negative story they can...it's just stupid.
Half the reason SOME people have problems is because they want bigger and better instead of being happy with 'reasonable' homes, cars, trips and so on.
On the other hand, some people DO have reason to complain because wages do not rise despite everything else skyrocketing.

Personally I have seen the jobs 'dry up' in the 2 months I have been seriously looking. Last autumn there were a lot more. I am hoping in the spring we have the same again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 06:54 AM

630 posts, read 1,876,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

It's rumor then panic. People say "Oh, did you hear, there's a recession!" to one person, then another, so everyone starts hoarding money, not spending, going out to eat, whatever. Suddenly employers cut back on overtime or refuse to hire any more people...it's like a snowball.

Half the reason SOME people have problems is because they want bigger and better instead of being happy with 'reasonable' homes, cars, trips and so on.
On the other hand, some people DO have reason to complain because wages do not rise despite everything else skyrocketing.

Personally I have seen the jobs 'dry up' in the 2 months I have been seriously looking. Last autumn there were a lot more. I am hoping in the spring we have the same again.
Gypsy,problem with the recent generations of Americans (boomers and Xers) isn't hoarding money,and our government is in the same mode(read Bush,not Clinton).

Old 02-15-2008, 07:00 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,601,165 times
Employment by industry

BCA Research - Independent Investment Research Since 1949 (http://www.bcaresearch.com/public/story.asp?pre=PRE-20080204.GIF - broken link)

Finance, housing, and retail are in deep recession.

If you're in an industry that's related to energy, agriculture, and raw materials, you're probably in a boom because of inflation and exports.

If you're in a sector that's correlated to population growth or heavily supported by government spending, such as education, healthcare, and government contracting, you're immune to the recession.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 AM

693 posts, read 2,260,184 times
Default Recession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
What is your opinion? Are we just facing a slowdown, or do you think we are in a recession?

If you do, why do you think so, and how severe do you think this recession will be?

If you don't, why don't you think so?

As for me, I'm not really sure. Yes, we lost 17,000 jobs (unrevised) in January, and the service sector has been contracting, but at the same time the manufacturing sector has (barely) been expanding, exports have been growing, etc.
The media obviously has a great deal of control in what the public precieves as "happening" in society, as opposed to what the economy really is doing. It is impossible for the media to know the economic climate in every city in the U.S., so usually only the big cities are indicators of trends. I personally believe that things are becoming harder for many people, and that alone is a good sign that things will be on the down-turn unless more can be done to stimulate job growth, and better paying jobs.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Employment by industry

BCA Research - Independent Investment Research Since 1949 (http://www.bcaresearch.com/public/story.asp?pre=PRE-20080204.GIF - broken link)

Finance, housing, and retail are in deep recession.

If you're in an industry that's related to energy, agriculture, and raw materials, you're probably in a boom because of inflation and exports.

If you're in a sector that's correlated to population growth or heavily supported by government spending, such as education, healthcare, and government contracting, you're immune to the recession.
Muni Bond industry is fixin' to implode due to increased insurance rates and higher yields needed to attract investors,read less state and local spending for EVERYTHING,i.e. schools,bridges,roads,just because you're a government employee shouldn't make you feel secure.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,601,165 times
They'll eventually force the bankrupt insurers to separate their munipal bond businesses from their structured finance insurance business. Everyone knows that they're hanging on to the only viable business they have for leverage and that they're looking to the governments to bail them out in some form. The banks will be the ones that get hit first. If the breakups are forced in the next several days, the banks's writedowns of those losses should occur in March before the earnings reporting period.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times
Depends on what part of the country you're in. If you're in the South (outside of the southern tip of Florida), you're continuing to enjoy a strong economic expansion. If you're in the Great Lakes region, you're definitely in a recession.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They'll eventually force the bankrupt insurers to separate their munipal bond businesses from their structured finance insurance business. Everyone knows that they're hanging on to the only viable business they have for leverage and that they're looking to the governments to bail them out in some form. The banks will be the ones that get hit first. If the breakups are forced in the next several days, the banks's writedowns of those losses should occur in March before the earnings reporting period.
Playing the shell game with debt won't cure the underlying problem.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,072,453 times
On paper we are not ------YET.

They've been saying that by the time all the numbers really come in and is broken down we could be officially be in one right now and upon the announcement we could be out of it by then.

Psychologically we are.

People are worried to spend large sums of money at this point. People are starting to wake up and are coming to the realization that you can't live off of trusted goods forever. CC company's want their money as lenders are folding left and right.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:30 PM

157 posts, read 624,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if some of us did have the money to hoard
Whether we are officially in a recession now I don't know but many we know in our immediate area have lost jobs since Jan. or are facing job loss within the next month including my husband so to me if sure feels like a recession!
It's a real bummer when your wages get cut and your energy bill goes through the roof all in the same month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics