Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ARE THE LOW WAGES PART OF USA PROBLEMS?
Yes 102 51.78%
No 95 48.22%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,310,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
minimum wage should be called "starting wage" it should be a probation period wage
then based on merit and job performance, you then should get an increase with more value to the company.

minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage,,,it's a starting point.
MainBrokerMan, the federal minimum wage rate affects ALL USA wages to some extent and thus affects our economy.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Transcript of message #17 within the thread:
ttp://www.city-data.com/forum/economics/1714061-consequences-repealing-minimum-wage-rates-post26567318.html#post26567318

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMhcom
...The number of people making minimum wage is so minuscule in the overall scheme of things that it is not worth discussing. ...

Jimhcom, references to the portion or numbers of workers earning the federal minimum wage rate is inconsequential. What’s consequential is all of those whose earnings are AT OR NEAR the FMW rate.

I’m supposing the federal minimal rate significantly affects the many more than a quarter of our nation’s wage earners. If we eliminate part timers, (many of whom are not part-timers by choice), I’m supposing the FMW rate significantly affects no less than a fifth of all full time wage earners.
Anything that significantly affects more than 20% of our full time wage earners’ incomes is significantly consequential to our economy.

Excerpted from the first message of this thread:

All wage and salary rates are affected by the minimum rate. The extent of minimum’s effect upon a task’s wage rate is inversely related to the difference between the purchasing power of the minimum and the job’s rate; (i.e. the more you’re earning, the less you’re hurting). That’s the meaning of minimum’s inverse affect upon all jobs’ rates.

Respectfully, Supposn 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM

34,104 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
All wage and salary rates are affected by the minimum rate.
Well, they used to be.
But we also used to have an industrial and economic system underlying the minimum wage
structure with a clear path to advancement in line with those base/entry jobs.

Quote:
...inversely related to the difference between...
And your point is?
EVERYONE can justify their need for more wages than they are getting now.

What happens next?

Especially in an environment where a) that system of advancement isn't in place
and b) there is an oversupply of people available for the low/no skill jobs.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,887,457 times
Minimum wage isn't meant for a career or for a guy to support his two kids. A minimum wage job is designed to be a stepping stone into a better career. It's what you do in high school and college, not for the next 20 years.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 PM

34,104 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Minimum wage isn't meant for a career or for a guy to support his two kids. A minimum wage job is designed to be a stepping stone into a better career. It's what you do in high school and college, not for the next 20 years.
Which is why this is really a social welfare issue.
They're just attempting to make it look like a business/employment issue.

What's the answer? Latex.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 PM

491 posts, read 749,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Some problems with that

1. Many of the better paying jobs were entry level factory jobs where you could make a good wage but those jobs are gone.

2. Many jobs that start at min wage are careers for people. I am not going to say all but many are. My job for example in food service starts at min wage but is a career all the people who work there are adults who need that money to live on. Many jobs that start at min wage are careers for people no matter if you do not agree with it or not. What about the people who do low wage jobs that are needed like school cafeteria workers, day care workers, workers at grocery stores, work at gas stations and so on? If they all move to a higher paying job there will not be people to work these jobs and those businesses will fail.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 AM

621 posts, read 658,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which is why this is really a social welfare issue.
They're just attempting to make it look like a business/employment issue.

What's the answer? Latex.
Social welfare be dam-ed. The good paying jobs are going away. So we simply need to replace the tax base. The alternative is to print down the debt. We also need to restructure and regrow the economy. Upping the minimum wage will replace the dollar value of the permanently lost jobs. It will not replace the economic value. We are heading into the transition from being the world's reserve currency to not. If we are buying back our national debt as we do this the transition will tend to be more orderly and less painful. If we are running huge deficits as we do this we will have a very painful time of it.

We have run our economy on a huge debt bubble from 1981 until now. The bill will be paid one way or the other.

The rational thing to do is to take responsibility for our debts and start to pay them back. To do that we need more income. The only way I see to get that is by upping the minimum wage a lot.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:24 AM

106,778 posts, read 108,997,702 times
we are offering excellent paying jobs right here in long island , if you have the skills or credentials to fill them.

we find it so hard to get employees who:

can pass a drug test.
can pass a credit and background check.
can pass a simple math test
can speak the english language so they can be understood.
that look presentable.

we have not even got to their job qualifications yet.

we have had hundreds come through our doors as applicants through the years.

they are all going "there are just no decent jobs out there "

wrong! there are excellent jobs out there , just not for YOU!

forget all this economic mumbo jumbo, it boils down to the fact that for the most part the cream of the work force has already been snatched up in most areas .

what is left is the 2nd and 3rd tier employees for the most part who their companies saw as expendable.

every company has their best of breed core of employees they would never let go unless they were going out of business. if they were those employees are snatched up before their bodies hit the street.

while everyone thinks they are in that catagory the fact is they are not.

i am not saying it applys to everyone looking for a job but typically that is what we have been seeing in ny/ long island.

there is a lack of suitable workers ,plain and simple for any job and even less for positions above minimum wage unless they have some useful skill set,. . they can't qualify to get a job and most lack the skills to be paid anymore for the low level job functions than minimum wage.

the closer the job function is to the things anyone can do the less the pay will be.

in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

i always say if we had a disease that kept most of us from moving our arms the few who could can get jobs pouring coffee at a higher pay rate then engineers.

but since we can all do that a coffee server is at the bottom of the food chain.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-28-2013 at 03:45 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 AM

621 posts, read 658,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
forget all this economic mumbo jumbo, it boils down to the fact that for the most part the cream of the work force has already been snatched up in most areas .
Demand for labor is off. The second rate workers are finding it hard to get work. This puts a downwards pressure on wages. Pushing wages lower tends to contract the economy. Negative feed back loop. More debt makes this worse not better. Although in the short run you don't tend to see this.

Higher wages tends to brake the negative feed back loop. The lever that can move the economy is the minimum wage law. Not The Fed's prime lending rate.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 AM

106,778 posts, read 108,997,702 times
key word is "2nd tier workers" and thats the problem. they do not have the skill set yet to make them worthy of high paying jobs.

you are dreaming if you think employers will pay more than any job function is worth or skill set demands.

you are getting to wrapped up in economic crap. it is basics, strictly basics . develop your skills in a field with job demand and you will get payed more.

the problem is business are specialized today so even a degree is relatively useless for quite a long time in a company.

we hire electrical engineers and it still takes them 1 to 2 years of training in our business to learn what we do and to be useful at a level that commands a high salary.

one of our key people left. you have to see all the job offers come out of hiding. believe me there are more jobs out there than you think for those in demand .

it always seems to be that those with the lowest paying jobs and the least amount of skills that are in demand turn out to be the same ones who complain about the low pay on internet forums. the fact is they do not qualify for more with what they bring to the party ..

see a pattern here?

i was out of work 2x since 2008 as i left a company, got a different job and that company failed within a year.

i can tell you i had another job before i even left the final day at the company that failed . in the mean time we have people out of work years in our industry who cannot get picked up by another company.

it is all skill set and demand for that skill set.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-28-2013 at 04:01 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,837,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
Who is we? Because I honestly don't think anyone on this forum and in this thread is working minimum wage. And that's the beauty with capitalism. If you aren't satisfied with the minimum wage job, find another one. Illinois pays you too little, move to California. Still unhappy, get an education. Uneducated? Vote.
OMG this is such horrible advice I don't know where to start. So I'll start at the top. There is a bigger abundance of low-wage jobs than higher-wage jobs. Which feeds into the whole "education" thing. You do realize the education sector is a financial bubble waiting to pop. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to be under it when it does. Who would move to California, a state that can't even keep itself covered?

And lastly, please don't be encouraging uneducated people to vote. There are too many already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics