Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 PM

259 posts, read 366,748 times

Advertisements

Keeping in mind that BOA has approximately 275,000 employees are laying off 16,000 employes and event-ually a total of 30,000. I see it as a good restructuring move for too many reasons to discuss here in forum. My concern. I'm using this model as an example of of a opinion I raised in an earlier thread that now these laid-off folks may or may not receive unemployment? Additionally,added to the layoffs in the banking industry might add .2 % to the Bureau of labor stats? Lastly, these generally qualified employees (BOA doesn't hire nitwits) will have to statistically be relegated to accepting lower paying jobs often without benefits not withstanding part-time assuring the businesses will circumvent health care and and other benefits like 401K's. All of this exacerbates the economy and puts added burden on tax payers precipitates additional foreclosers if not chapter 7 and so on. So what's your remedy ? Perhaps cross train in a short medical CNA.LPN program,get a securities license, strive for a sales position ,join the Navy, seek a small student loan to maintain rent/mortgage, downsize and sell off belongings, take on 2 part-time jobs. Go without health insurance until you get back on your feet. Sell a second car. If you have a 401K attempt to get a loan from it to help you out. Seek professional debt counciling I'm just a guy who writes stuff in forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM

344 posts, read 428,374 times
BAC is up 2.08% today. Investors must believe the layoffs will bring more value to the company.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,140,036 times
Assuming many of these jobs are back office jobs I would start talking with recruiters and hope to land a Contractor job. Many financial companies aren't hiring employees, but they are hiring contractors.

Typically as a contractor you make a bigger pay check but you don't get benefits, paid time off, insurance, etc.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM

21,216 posts, read 19,835,136 times
You mean Obama didn't save the banking industry?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM

29,861 posts, read 24,994,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You mean Obama didn't save the banking industry?
Obama made the banks whole again, and than some. He also stuck you and me with the bill. That's our Obama As for the layoffs, if they can do the same or more with less, that's exactly what they will do. In this environment of high risk and record low interest rates, I would bet they are more interested in buying government backed securities and hunkering down instead of making money the way they were before the recession. Which would you rather have... 1% return on your money or a loss???

Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,565,627 times
TARP was under Bush II, directed by Paulson, oh ye Braintrusts.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,036,696 times
Bank of America is a zombie bank. It cannot hide forever.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM

18,256 posts, read 16,973,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbidave View Post
BOA doesn't hire nitwits
Oh no? This teller took my deposit and the next thing I knew a couple from Siberia were vacationing in the Bahamas on my dime!

Three Stooges Curly " Certainly, Whoop, Whoop, Whoop, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk" - YouTube

Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 PM

259 posts, read 366,748 times
I truley believe that Curley was the funniest person on earth . Your Whoop whoop Nyuk was absolutely halarious!!! Marty Short and Will Ferrell are my modern favorites. I've done some arithmetic regarding the financial future of America and the results will appear on twitter for those who consider me their guru. Go up seven floors and jump out a window dressed as a bourgeois. Just kidding forgive me I meant as a bourgeoisie.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,937,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbidave View Post
I truley believe that Curley was the funniest person on earth . Your Whoop whoop Nyuk was absolutely halarious!!! Marty Short and Will Ferrell are my modern favorites. I've done some arithmetic regarding the financial future of America and the results will appear on twitter for those who consider me their guru. Go up seven floors and jump out a window dressed as a bourgeois. Just kidding forgive me I meant as a bourgeoisie.
The word "bourgeoisie" means a social/economic class. A person who is a member of that class is a "bourgeois", which can also be used as an adjective. Therefore I am having a difficult time imagining how one could dress as a bourgeoisie. Or perhaps I am being too literal and I have missed your point completely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics