Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,900 times

Advertisements

Motley Fool is great, so is Clark Howard!

There are also online Blogs and other resources.

The Simple Dollar, Free money Finance, Get rich Slowly, Bargaineering, Wise Bread, Man vs Debt.

That should keep you busy for 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 PM

805 posts, read 1,873,170 times
Start with any of the trend following books by Mike Covel.

Trend Following Trading Systems for Stock Traders, Futures Traders and Commodity Traders from Michael Covel

Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
A while back I remember hearing about a financial online news outlet called the Motley Fool.

If memory serves me correct it was supposed to be a great resource for laymen to learn about finance.

Still that was a while back, so if anyone knows of a similar resource/s, please feel free to share.
Still around.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
1) Read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki (he gives a very good fundamental introduction to investing in that book although I don't recommend his more advanced books.)

2) Listen to the Dave Ramsey Show and read some of his tips on his website.

3) Read financial news from the Wall Street Journal, CNBC, Bloomberg, Seekingalpha.com. Except for the latter, don't read news too frequently and/or look into it too much. Get a sense what other people are thinking. Their predictions are not as important as the reasons behind their predictions.

4) Read The Crawling Road for some practical conservative investing advice. Start small, using money you can afford to lose.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times
Wow, you guys are giving a lot of homework.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
I would appreciate any suggestions for books, videos, blogs, etc that are great for helping someone organize and optimize their financial situation.

I am particularly interested in advice on learning about the stock market and many other financial instruments & transactions.

Thanks.
I read the articles on this website every day. This is a learning website and has articles from all viewpoints..the bulls and the bears.

FINANCIAL SENSE | Applying Common Sense to the Markets
Cited by Barron's as one of the top financial websites to visit on the weekend, Financial Sense provides free educational resources to the broad public audience through editorials, current news and resource links on salient financial market issues. Begun in 1985 as a local talk radio program, Financial Sense Newshour is now a free weekly webcast with host Jim Puplava and top financial thinkers.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
Quote:
A while back I remember hearing about a financial online news outlet called the Motley Fool.

If memory serves me correct it was supposed to be a great resource for laymen to learn about finance.

Still that was a while back, so if anyone knows of a similar resource/s, please feel free to share.
Morningstar is a great resource--although I pay a yearly fee for premium services, they have a ton of stuff available for free, and they have a huge series of online investing classes that are totally free.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
And oh, by the way, become financially literate BEFORE you get married and have kids and buy a house and a new car. Not when it's too late.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times
I may make posts critical of America on these here forums, but one of the greatest things about America is the opportunity it allows someone to build wealth.

Lets keep the info flowing.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Do. Don't just read.

It's how I learn best anyways.

I do and take a hit now and then, but I bounce back better than before with the knowledge I gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics