Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 AM

71 posts, read 239,088 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My boyfriend has a 11 month old husky that he recently adopted and the dog will not nip but actually bite you along with jumping up repeatedly. This is especially dangerous when the dog jumps up while playing and tries to bite your face. Being a full grown and physically fit woman, I have no problems getting the dog off of me but this could really become dangerous if guests visit, esp. children.

When I come to visit I turn my back and ignore the dog when it jumps along with disciplining her when she becomes too rough when playing. (She rarely does this to me now.) My problem is that when I'm gone, my b/f just allows her to basically do whatever she likes. He literally has to pick the dog up to bring her inside at times. (She's a good 60 pounds or so.) He always has scratches or bite marks on his arms/feet and when he does something the dog doesn't like, such as putting her in another room, she'll deficate in the house. He does discipline the dog when I'm around but it just goes out the window when I'm gone. Can you guys give me some helpful suggestions on how to get him to realize that he NEEDS to train this dog? I LOVE animals but will not stand to be bitten, scratched, etc. I trained my dogs to be very well-behaved and I'm trying to help him!

Last edited by LA_86; 10-26-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Tell him if she's outside and does that to a child and they report it, by law she can be taken and possibly euthanized. His laziness and irresponsibility could cost his dog her life.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,870 times
Get him to watch Animal Planet's show, It's Me or the Dog". Here, trainer Victoria Stilwell doesn't hold back on chastising the dog owners on their lack of dog training. By the time she's finished chewing them a new one, they can't wait to fix their dog's bad habits. Then she tells them how to do that, too.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_86 View Post

Can you guys give me some helpful suggestions on how to get him to realize that he NEEDS to train this dog?
This is a tricky one and whether or not you succeed is, in reality, not up to you. It's up to him. However big points to you for trying.

In trying to figure out how best to tackle this or which direction to take, let me ask you something: when you raise the issue, or after the dog's bitten or scratched him, what's his reply - i.e. how does he justify his own inaction? How do you think he'd react if the dog either a) totally destroyed something inanimate that meant a lot to him (e.g. a favourite jacket, or a prized leather sofa) and b) what or how do you think he'd behave if (it's only a matter of when at this rate) the dog bites someone (possibly even himself) hard enough to warrant medical attention? Is it going to take a lawsuit - or worse - for him to come to his senses?

I suppose what I'm getting at here is how far you think is this going to have to go for him to sit up and take notice.

The other question is how far you are willing to go to get him to see the error of his ways? For example, would you be willing to pay for, say, a trainer or a behaviourist to come to the house and leave him in no uncertain terms about the direction this is all headed?

I will always wonder how or why he (and others like him) resign themselves to putting up with this kind of nonsense. It's like throwing up your hands and deciding to live with a ticking time-bomb.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,136 times
he needs a visit fom the dog whisperer...

Old 10-26-2009, 03:52 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,276 times
See if an officer from your local SPCA will come talk to him and tell him what will happen to the dog if it hurts someone- death for the dog and a large fine/lawsuit for him. If he won't relent, see if he would think about re-homing the husky and picking out a more laid-back breed. Huskies need a LOT of training and are super active. They get into allot of trouble when left alone and needs hours of excersize every day. From what your have described, it dose not sound like a husky is the right dog for him.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
I know this isn't the relationships forum, but perhaps you should consider getting a new boyfriend.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,136 times
*cough* *cough*

it doesn't bode well... one should consider putting all the cards on the table: child rearing could follow the same course... is this the kind of dad you could share your kids with?

YOU would always be the BAD cop!!! *smiley doubts you'll like it*

Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Hopes and Kate beat me to it. Why would you want someone this lazy and inconsiderate of others to be a significant person in your life? Red flags everywhere.....

Old 10-26-2009, 07:03 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_86 View Post
My boyfriend has a 11 month old husky that he recently adopted. ... My problem is that when I'm gone, my b/f just allows her to basically do whatever she likes.
It's so upsetting to read this. I'm the owner of a Siberian Husky, and a week or so ago I posted about the problems I was having finding an apartment complex that would allow my dog...because of his breed. Your boyfriend's mishandling of his animal is exactly the type of reason WHY some places won't allow Sibes.

An untrained dog that size is a liability and a potential danger...not to mention a lawsuit waiting to happen if the dog were to hurt someone.

I hope that you'll be able to convince him that he has a responsibility to his dog. Part of giving her a happy life is giving her training so that she knows how to behave and knows what's expected of her at all times. Otherwise, she'll turn into a neurotic mess.

Good luck! (And Zoey says: Train your dogs!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs