Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:32 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times

Advertisements

I've had dogs my entire life. I lived much of it in the PNW where we never saw flea 1 on any of our dogs.
For most of the last 30 years I've lived in flea central--the south. We've have dogs all along, but they've never been indoor dogs. We usually kept a flea collar on them or used the stuff on their back, and they were fine. Well, fine enough...no constant scratching, etc.

I never wanted an indoor dog here because of the fleas, but I have one now.
I have an old farm dog--a mutt who may be my favorite dog of my entire lifetime.
He's old, blind and about half gimped up. Recently we came to the conclusion he didn't really need to be outside all the time anymore--the coyotes about got him one night.
So, we had to make him come in--he's 90 pounds and I had to carry him in. He's never been in a house and didn't want in.
Now, he's spoiled...loves it...goes outside when he has to, comes right back in.

He's become a flea taxi. We kept them at bay for the first few months of this summer, but recently I'm about ready to burn down the house.
We keep a flea collar on...use the back stuff...we've used a weekly spray, we've used flea shampoo, we've flea bombed the house repeatedly, and used a home flea spray for furniture, etc. We've used old remedies like adding a little apple vinegar to his drinking water daily and treated the yard.

Are we doomed as long as this old boy is alive to have fleas in the house?

What else to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
What kind of "back stuff" are you using?

I lived in FL for many, many years and never saw a flea using Sentinel (pill) or Revolution (topical).

Old 09-05-2009, 01:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
If you are using the Hartz brand "back stuff" that you get at the grocery store, I would stop that IMMEDIATELY and switch to Frontline or Advantage.... there have been reports of the stuff you get at the grocery store causing neurological problems and I'm guessing that it is not nearly as effective as the others.... they are a bit more expensive, but WELL worth it......

Old 09-05-2009, 04:38 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Ialive to have fleas in the house?
Short answer: NO.

Longer answer - it sounds as if what you're using is not getting rid of the fleas entirely, so they just come back. Timing's important - all "attacks" have to be coordinated so that when you bomb the house, dog is treated, bedding is treated, yard is treated, etc.

Also, there are also new systemic flea meds on the market. The brand name escapes me, but they're little chews or pills that you give to the dog so they work from the inside out (as it were). You can ask you vet's office about them, they should be able to tell you whether or not they're suitable for your dog.

There is such thing as a false economy with flea meds. Do NOT skimp because this brand is cheaper than that one, I can get this one at the supermarket rather than going to the vets office. Bad move. At the end of the day, it ends up costing a lot more, both literally and figuratively.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:55 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Not sure, but CapStar might be what 5horses is speaking of. Directions say it is safe to use every day, but, that I personally would not do. In short, it is a fast acting immediate kill of the fleas. Linked with the cleaning of bedding and the entire house, and monthly care, ie Advantage, Revolution, or Frontline... you can be flea free. I live in prime flea country, with one dog who wanders in and out of the house. Never a flea!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:29 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I live in florida and I use frontline and have not seen a flea in yrs . Use frontline .

Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Started on Comfortis (pill) with my new dog and it works great. The only fleas I ever see are dead fleas. Now I just need an easier solution for my cat than holding him down and using the drops, lol.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:23 PM

84 posts, read 278,774 times
DO NOT USE OTC FLEA TREATMENTS! This included Hartz, Sergeants, or any other brand you buy at the store. Don't use the drops, spray, or the flea collar. If you have a flea collar on your dog, take it off. These products have killed thousands of animals. You mentioned that the dog was old? He's probably at increased risk for getting sick from the stuff.
I suggest going to your vet, possibly having the dog bathed professionally, getting the prescription flea treatment (Advantage, Frontline, whatever your vet uses). You should also talk to your vet about finding a safe flea treatment for your home. You'll have to use it and vacuum really well. You'll want to vacuum every day for several days to make sure any fleas jumping off you dog go away!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Started on Comfortis
Eureka - that's the one I was thinking of.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,845 times
There is another product to use in the home that can be purchased at the Vet's office called Siphotrol PlusII. It is rather expensive but will cover a 2000 sq ft area, but it claims to prevent reinfestation for 30 weeks. My vet uses it in their office and I swear by it. When I moved back in here we had a serious problem with fleas from our tenents. Vacumned, sprayed Siphotrol, vacumed again, gave my dogs Capstar for two days and then went on with Frontline-problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs