Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,298,760 times

Advertisements

Right now we have a 6 month old chocolate lab. We love him very much, but let me tell you.. he is a handful! He is full of energy and is constantly chewing things up, but what can I say, he is a puppy We are still in the process of training him and he is actually doing very well and is very intellegent.

My boyfriend has mentioned to me several times that he wants a 2nd dog someday. He says that if we get another one that the new pup and Ammo (our current dog) would play and entertain each other more and not be such a handful. Plus, it will be easier to train a 2nd one with the 1st one around to show him how things go around here.

However, I am a little unsure because sometimes Ammo drives me up the wall and I don't know if I can handle two!

So basically, is having two dogs easier or harder than having one?
Attached Thumbnails
Is a 2nd dog easier.. or more difficult?-008.jpg   Is a 2nd dog easier.. or more difficult?-020.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM

149 posts, read 763,070 times
If you think one puppy is tough, two might drive you crazy! Yes, it is very cute to watch two youngsters tumble and play, and they will work off their energy on each other. But training becomes twice as difficult because there's a good chance they will spend more time paying attention to each other rather than you. Plus, your dog hasn't even hit the rebellious "teenage" stage where they are trained and know what you want them to do...but decide not to obey!
We got our second dog after our first one was over 2 years old and trained very well. We were so thankful we waited because the new puppy was such a handful, even more than our first because she is strong-willed and dominant. She didn't really learn much from our other dog because she saw herself as top dog and would like to get her way & do what she wants regardless of anyone else. It becomes difficult to play with both of them or train them together because the puppy always wants to play and will not listen or stop. She also is pushy and for a long time wouldn't let our first dog come in and out of the house without biting her, or letting her go to the bathroom in peace. So it takes extra discipline with her. We have to do everything seperately for each dog, including feeding, playing, training, going outside to the bathroom, and even on walks in the beginning. So the chores almost doubled.
Our first dog, now that she is an adult, has really mellowed out and is super- obedient, but this was not the case so much when she was still a puppy, so I can't imagine the kinds of work we would have had with 2 puppies at the same time. I'm sure some people have had 2 puppies at the same time and it' sworked out fine, and it probably depends on the individual dog personalities and the breed, with big hyperactive dogs being the most difficult.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,673,706 times
I would definately get a friend for your dog. He needs a playmate, someone to romp with and chase and release energy with. It should be a shelter dog of his choice. Maybe something a little older like 3 or 4 years old and not another pure lab, perhaps a lab/mix or another calm mix. I would take him to your local shelter or one close by and let him mix and mingle until he finds his friend for life! (ffl)
Is your dog neutered? This is a must.
Ammo is a cutie! Good luck!
I have 6 rescue dogs and not one of them drives me crazy, they are all so good! Most of them were between 6 months and 3 years old when I rescued them. Check my profile pics.
My last was Jenny, a rescue lab/mix!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
Yes, a 2nd dog will help him by being a companion when you aren't available. Dogs learn from each other, too. Sometimes things you don't want one to learn - like eating kitty crunchies from thye litterbox or eating their own poop. But I learned early on that a single dog can get lonely but 2 dogs are good together.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,236,549 times
Don't ask me, I've got 10! It gets easier w/ each one. Some do well w/ tons of kids, I do well w/ tons of dogs.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 AM

74 posts, read 129,386 times
I definitely agree with everyone that a second one is good for the both of them! We started out with one very hyper puppy then adopted our second who is very mellow and still after a year seems timid, we are guessing because of her past owners. And now we have three. Wouldn't have it any other way! The only thing that I'm not happy about is the marking of the territory.. He needs to let everyone know who is the man of the house!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 AM

5,096 posts, read 12,603,993 times
I too favor a second dog but would wait until the first is trained well. I waited until Jazz was 2 to get Dash .( Dash was 1 when I got him.) The two of them bonded that very first day and have been best pals their whole life. While it is more expensive to have two it really was not increased work for me and made training Dash a snap as he did learn from her! It also keeps them from being anxious or lonely when I am at work. But I feel two puppies IS twice the work and you risk them bonding more to each other then to you. When they get into something like riping things up then two are doing it and it becomes even more of a game to them.

I have just added a 8 month old and it is quite funny as when I tell him" NO" and he does not listen Old Grumpy Jazz races at him growling. He listens to her! She is my enforcer and did the same with Phoenix when she lived with me .( Phoenix lives with my dad now as the enforcer was too hard on her and My parents had lost a dog and needed a new one).

Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I too favor a second dog but would wait until the first is trained well. .
Words of wisdom.
Our Elwood took a good 3 years to settle down, and sadly, our old girl died when he was 2. He kept us busy, and took another final year to be well-socialized.
We wanted another dog, but did not want to rush into it.
It was kind of pathetic, he would bring toys to the cat, asking her to play!
We finally got a second puppy in January, when he was almost 5.
Elwood models the perfect behavior for him, and housetraining has gone really, really well.
There is more care and feeding, and more poop to clean up, but the pay-off is priceless:Those guys love each other and play well together.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:57 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,436,750 times
Ditto the second dog! We just adopted a second Shih-Tzu 10 days ago. My "girls" are already constant companions and we get so much pleasure watching them play tug of war with toys, tustle and tumble around. I am thrilled that my first dog has a playmate to spend the day with while we're at work. Go for it!

Old 04-16-2009, 04:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,459,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I too favor a second dog but would wait until the first is trained well. I waited until Jazz was 2 to get Dash .( Dash was 1 when I got him.) The two of them bonded that very first day and have been best pals their whole life. While it is more expensive to have two it really was not increased work for me and made training Dash a snap as he did learn from her! It also keeps them from being anxious or lonely when I am at work. But I feel two puppies IS twice the work and you risk them bonding more to each other then to you. When they get into something like riping things up then two are doing it and it becomes even more of a game to them.

I have just added a 8 month old and it is quite funny as when I tell him" NO" and he does not listen Old Grumpy Jazz races at him growling. He listens to her! She is my enforcer and did the same with Phoenix when she lived with me .( Phoenix lives with my dad now as the enforcer was too hard on her and My parents had lost a dog and needed a new one).
Wholeheartedly agree! The training thing can work both ways. They can teach the "bad" as well as the good. But a second pup would help fill out the "pack" for your current dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs