Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,312,331 times

Advertisements

I just started agility with my pup and the instructor won't let me take his leash off. The leash drags the entire time, and got caught on the equipment several times, where he couldn't move. Is this normal? It doesn't seem safe, but we are new to agility and I'm not sure what to expect. And all the other people are told to leave their dogs on leashes as well, so that seems to be his rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 AM

5,098 posts, read 12,613,237 times
When we started agility we started on leash as I think most do. The only time I did not hold the leash was when I dropped it to let them run through a tunnel. It is possible to hold it where it does not get caught on everything and alot of the equipment is difficult to teach without first teaching it with a leash on as the leash gives you control so they learn the correct way. I hope being that porkchop is a puppy that they have hurdles on the ground as I have always heard that puppies under a year old should not jump the hurdles or tire jump as it can damage the still growing growth plates in their legs. My dogs were not even allowed to join the class until they were a year old.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:02 PM

He won't let me hold the leash! He wants it to drag behind him. If I held it, it wouldn't get caught but I'm not allowed to.

I don't let him jump the high hurdles. The instructor was less than pleased when I told him he has to remove some of the bars, but being a Bulldog I know he can seriously damage his body if he does that. I'm basically doing it so he has fun and has something different to do. I'm not so sure we'll sign up for more classes though, at least at this place. There is one other 6 month old puppy in the class as well but that owner lets him do whatever the instructor says.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,613,237 times
Wow how long has this person been teaching agility ? I see a dragging leash as a potential accident waiting to happen as yes it can get snagged on some of the equipmet.

Hold your ground on the hurdles as I said back when Jazz stared 12 yrs ago she was 1 yr old as the clubs would not even allow a dog under a year old. I think they do now but the hurdles are on the ground or very low as you do not want to damage those growth plates in the legs of a puppy.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,475,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I just started agility with my pup and the instructor won't let me take his leash off. The leash drags the entire time, and got caught on the equipment several times, where he couldn't move. Is this normal? It doesn't seem safe, but we are new to agility and I'm not sure what to expect. And all the other people are told to leave their dogs on leashes as well, so that seems to be his rule.
MAK, are you serious? Are you really taking Porkchop to agility classes?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
MAK, are you serious? Are you really taking Porkchop to agility classes?
Yup, thanks to Dash, who sent me some awesome info and stories about a bully that did agility and was great at it. Porkchop's dad is currently best in his class in agility and, given his enthusiasm, I know Pork will do very well too when he's older. My breeder said to take it easy until he is one, but to get him used to the equipment at least. Read Lulu's story. People have the same exact reaction you just did, but I love the look on their face when a bully beats their dog in competitions. :-)

http://www.pawsitivelybullydogtraining.com/lulumemorial.htm (broken link)

Old 03-08-2009, 11:24 PM

Wow! That's all I gotta say.

I read Lulu's story and was pretty impressed. Love those pics of her flying through the air.

When I took my car into get worked on, I was talking to my mechanic. He'd gotten a new dog since I'd seen him last and was into agility training. He couldn't say enough good things about it. Says he goes like three nights a week. The dog loves it and it's opened up a whole new world for him and his wife. Now I'm curious and I want to go check out some classes to see what it's like.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM

It's fun, but for now, I'm sticking to once a week. I just wanted to see if he likes it and since he seems to really enjoy it, I'm going to sign up for a better class with a better instructor once we are done here. I didn't want to drive 30 minutes only to find out he had no interest. You should definitely check it out! Your dog will have a blast! If my short, stubby dog can do it, anyone can.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
It's fun, but for now, I'm sticking to once a week. I just wanted to see if he likes it and since he seems to really enjoy it, I'm going to sign up for a better class with a better instructor once we are done here. I didn't want to drive 30 minutes only to find out he had no interest. You should definitely check it out! Your dog will have a blast! If my short, stubby dog can do it, anyone can.
Who are you talking to? What do you mean my dog would have a blast? My dog is dead, remember?

Why did you have to bring it up again?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Maybe it's time to rescue one again :-) We are about to foster a really awesome pup ourselves because we want a 2nd one really soon. After getting this dog, I realized that I could never be without one, so I always want to have 2 in case something happens to the other one. You should try fostering, kind of like try before you buy. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs