Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 PM

948 posts, read 3,358,199 times

Advertisements

I've got a 9 week old puppy (got her at 8 weeks) which she had received the following vaccines:

Pfizer Vanguard Plus 5 CV (canine distemper, adenovirus type 2, parainfluenze, parvo MLV, corona killed)

I've read in Caesar Millan's book it is recommended to have worming and DHPP again at 9 weeks and then again at 12 weeks.

Being that I'll have my first vet appointment tomorrow, I'm wondering if I'm going to receive a hard sell to get more vaccines? Any advice for or against more vaccines? Btw, pup won't be boarded or taken to grooming facilites.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 02:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,894,895 times
They usually get the puppy shots three times, three weeks apart. They may also want to do the nasal mist for kennel cough.

They need the rabies vaccine at 4 months.

If you're on a tight budget, you can get the 5 in one at the feed store and vaccinate the puppy yourself. The rabies vaccine has to be given by a vet.

My pup was four months when I got her, so she got two doses of the 7 in 1, which I bought at Tractor Supply for $7 each. The mist for kennel cough was $6.49. We paid $35 for the rabies shot ($25 of that was the office visit).

Old 11-19-2011, 03:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
when did she have her first 5 in 1?
if it was at 6 weeks then yes she should get a 2nd series at 9 weeks and again at 12...only because the shot given at 6 weeks is effectivly useless if she was on her mother for long enough...maternal antibodies are present until about 8-9 weeks, and i only vaccinate at 6 weeks in high risk cases (my newest addtion got his distemper and parvo at 9 weeks because he came from a yicky situation and i couldnt be sure what kind of immunity his mother had...

this series of 3 is based 100% off "old" knowledge that we "dont know" when mommas immunity wears off so keep pumping them full of these illnesses untill about 12 weeks to be sure...

however for most puppies in this day and age this series of 3 starting at 6 weeks is SERIOUS overkill and responsible for an untold number of vaccine rections and worse Vaccinossis (which is a horrible illness)

now if she had her 5 in 1 at 6 weeks id personally follow up at 10 weeks with a second 5 in one and then again at 14 weeks.

however, if she didnt get her first set of shots untill 8-9 weeks one more round at 14 weeks is MORE than enough!

personally i follow the Dr. Jean Dodds protocal after much discussion with my vet, working as a vet tech and seeing what vaccine reaction and vaccinnosis actually does to a puppy.

W Jean Dodds Vaccine Protocol VACCINATION PROTOCOLS (http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm - broken link)

no offence but cesar milan is not a vet and without knowing when she got this set of shots its impossible to say, pups raised by healthy mommas typically have maternal antibodies untill 8-9 weeks so vaccinating at 6 weeks is unessicary (unless puppy comes form an outside "kennel" type situation ect)

personally i dont give rabies untill 6 months
and i dont revacinate untill 1 year after the last set of shots (rather than 6 months later as would be called for in a typical set up when the dog turns 1 year old) rabies is then done every 3 years along with titers for everything else.

if your puppy just recived her vaccinations, redoing it now would be overkill and could seriously damage her immune system suince you are effectivly infecting her wiht the illness...also anything more than 5 in 1 is overkill, lepto, bordatella ect are completly USELESS and highly likely to cause reaction.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:26 PM

Default dates of shots

Thanks for all the information. Here's what her shot schedule says:

The Plus 5 was given 10/25/11 (6 weeks)
Strongid @ 2,3,4 & 6 weeks
Panacar@ 7 weeks
Ivomec@ 8 weeks

So, you suggest following up at 10 weeks and then again at 14 weeks. Btw, my reference to Millan was not fully referenced on my part. Sorry about that. He did quote a vet that he respects and follows to avoid over-vaccinating.

What's your opinion about worming and can these meds be bought outside of the vet?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
when did she have her first 5 in 1?
if it was at 6 weeks then yes she should get a 2nd series at 9 weeks and again at 12...only because the shot given at 6 weeks is effectivly useless if she was on her mother for long enough...maternal antibodies are present until about 8-9 weeks, and i only vaccinate at 6 weeks in high risk cases (my newest addtion got his distemper and parvo at 9 weeks because he came from a yicky situation and i couldnt be sure what kind of immunity his mother had...

this series of 3 is based 100% off "old" knowledge that we "dont know" when mommas immunity wears off so keep pumping them full of these illnesses untill about 12 weeks to be sure...

however for most puppies in this day and age this series of 3 starting at 6 weeks is SERIOUS overkill and responsible for an untold number of vaccine rections and worse Vaccinossis (which is a horrible illness)

now if she had her 5 in 1 at 6 weeks id personally follow up at 10 weeks with a second 5 in one and then again at 14 weeks.

however, if she didnt get her first set of shots untill 8-9 weeks one more round at 14 weeks is MORE than enough!

personally i follow the Dr. Jean Dodds protocal after much discussion with my vet, working as a vet tech and seeing what vaccine reaction and vaccinnosis actually does to a puppy.

W Jean Dodds Vaccine Protocol VACCINATION PROTOCOLS (http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm - broken link)

no offence but cesar milan is not a vet and without knowing when she got this set of shots its impossible to say, pups raised by healthy mommas typically have maternal antibodies untill 8-9 weeks so vaccinating at 6 weeks is unessicary (unless puppy comes form an outside "kennel" type situation ect)

personally i dont give rabies untill 6 months
and i dont revacinate untill 1 year after the last set of shots (rather than 6 months later as would be called for in a typical set up when the dog turns 1 year old) rabies is then done every 3 years along with titers for everything else.

if your puppy just recived her vaccinations, redoing it now would be overkill and could seriously damage her immune system suince you are effectivly infecting her wiht the illness...also anything more than 5 in 1 is overkill, lepto, bordatella ect are completly USELESS and highly likely to cause reaction.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:54 PM

given the 6 weeks id follow up at 10 and 14 weeks with the 5 in 1 then rabies after 20 weeks (4 months) i personally prefer to wait untill 6 months or as close to, but thats personal choice)

in terms of worming...
quite honestly between the strongid and panacure if theres anythign left alive in her gut shell be lucky. i would ONLY deworm if a veterinary tested fecal comes back positive for worms...(most vets will do a fecal if you just drop off a sample without an office) generally though unless shes lving outdoors, exposed to other dogs, or exposed to fleas, given her current deworming history id say your probbaly pretty safe, worms are transfered via feaces, fleas and flys (and mommy) so assuming shes not eating other dogs poop, has flears or is outside where she has acess to eating flys i wouldnt be too concerned.
ivomec will also take care of any tummy parisites except tape worm too so given shes had her first ivomec dose, id say worms shouldnt be an issue.

personally in terms of puppies from my own production i dont deworm, mommy is dewormed monthly because there on heartguard (ivermectin) (aka ivomec) which is a broad spectrum dewormer, if momma doesnt have worms, and theres no fleas (there raised in the house) the pups wont have worms (so far ive never had a fecal come back positive)
for dogs comming to me from an outside source i typically get a fecal done and treat only if nesicary.
Dozer i dewormed at 6 weeks, will do again at 8 weeks and then a fecal at 14 weeks.

if fecal comes back positive, pyrantel payomate will take care of round and whip worms and can be bought over the counter...
praziquantel, is what you need if theres tapeworm and can also be bought from places like 1800 pet meds

the praziquantel will be comparitive in pirce to what the vet would charge, pyrantel payomate is cheaper though.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:33 PM

Default Worming questions

Thanks so much for your help!!! I got the follow up Plus 5 and the vet asked me about worming for heart worms. I told him I'd read up on it but not now. If I may do a follow up regarding worming--thought I'd plan on doing a stool sample at the next visit but could you give me an idea of how often you check for worms? Also, vet was pushing preventative care for heart worms and after reading your post I didn't want to put puppy through more shots than was needed, but I'm not sure how to respond to him regarding heart worm preventative care. If you have the time I would appreciate your input on this area. Thanks so much!

Quote:
given the 6 weeks id follow up at 10 and 14 weeks with the 5 in 1 then rabies after 20 weeks (4 months) i personally prefer to wait untill 6 months or as close to, but thats personal choice)

in terms of worming...
quite honestly between the strongid and panacure if theres anythign left alive in her gut shell be lucky. i would ONLY deworm if a veterinary tested fecal comes back positive for worms...(most vets will do a fecal if you just drop off a sample without an office) generally though unless shes lving outdoors, exposed to other dogs, or exposed to fleas, given her current deworming history id say your probbaly pretty safe, worms are transfered via feaces, fleas and flys (and mommy) so assuming shes not eating other dogs poop, has flears or is outside where she has acess to eating flys i wouldnt be too concerned.
ivomec will also take care of any tummy parisites except tape worm too so given shes had her first ivomec dose, id say worms shouldnt be an issue.

personally in terms of puppies from my own production i dont deworm, mommy is dewormed monthly because there on heartguard (ivermectin) (aka ivomec) which is a broad spectrum dewormer, if momma doesnt have worms, and theres no fleas (there raised in the house) the pups wont have worms (so far ive never had a fecal come back positive)
for dogs comming to me from an outside source i typically get a fecal done and treat only if nesicary.
Dozer i dewormed at 6 weeks, will do again at 8 weeks and then a fecal at 14 weeks.

if fecal comes back positive, pyrantel payomate will take care of round and whip worms and can be bought over the counter...
praziquantel, is what you need if theres tapeworm and can also be bought from places like 1800 pet meds

the praziquantel will be comparitive in pirce to what the vet would charge, pyrantel payomate is cheaper though.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 PM

the ivomec that she got at 8 weeks...THAT is heartworm preventative...so shes already had her first heartworm preventative.

the difference being ivomec is marketed for livestock, its an injectable liquid used for cattle and given to dog orally for heartworm preventative, (its also a broad spectrum wormer)
now i do NOT suggest you going out and buying a bottle of ivomec, the dosage is SOOOO tiny that its very difficult to dose correctly and an OD on ivomec can be nasty.

you said she head the ivmec at 8 weeks old, so at 12 weeks she should be started on heartguard (unless shes a collie breed (border collie, beareded, rough/smooth, sheltie or aussie sheperd) in whch case shell need a different type of heartworm preventative)
did you tell the vet shed had the ivomec?
if so id be a little concerned that he wanted to dose with hearworm preventative so soon after a dose of ivermectin.

anywho...heartguard is the brand youll be looking at unless you have one of those breeds above, and that will also help prevent intestinal parisites too as long as you give it every month.
heartguard is a chewable tab and worth every penny...

so no worries, she is already on heartwrom preventative so every 4 weeks from that date.

in terms of my wrom check schedual...
i give heartworm prevntative every mnth and ivermectin (the active ingredient) prevents intestinal parisites too.
ill be quite honest, my dogs dont interact with strange dogs often and i keep ontop of my heartworm schedual, so i only run a fecal test at the same time i titer (every 3 years)
i will run a fecal before breeding a female though as a just to be sure, but so far never had a problem...

ive been following this general schedual for about 8 years now and thus far havent had any issues...

my current schedual for my own dogs is

puppyhood:
8 and 12 weeks i give distemper, adeno and parvo (5in1)
6 months they get rabies

1 yr and 2 months they get distemper, adeno and parvo again
1 1/2 yrs second rabies (this is good for 3 years)

then after that every 3 years titer test, fecal and rabies.

monthly they get ivermectin, and k9 advantix.

for pups that come in from outside "uncertain" sources
6 weeks: distemper and parvo + deworming
8 weeks: deworming
10 weeks 5in1
14 weeks 5in1, Fecal (and deworming if nessicary)

everything else stays the same...

Old 11-21-2011, 04:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,559,654 times
I would be asking the vet more about heartworm protection. I know several folks finding does developing HW on ivermectin (resistance) and going to one of the other preventive types.

But yes the shots I have heard is THE most crucial is the one year. Their immune systems are not fully devloped until 6 months and the puppy vaccines just buy some time.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Default Wowsie

Can't tell you how much I appreciate yous post and all the information! Our pup, Matilda, thanks you. She's a Springer Spaniel mix, btw.

Quote:
the ivomec that she got at 8 weeks...THAT is heartworm preventative...so shes already had her first heartworm preventative.

the difference being ivomec is marketed for livestock, its an injectable liquid used for cattle and given to dog orally for heartworm preventative, (its also a broad spectrum wormer)
now i do NOT suggest you going out and buying a bottle of ivomec, the dosage is SOOOO tiny that its very difficult to dose correctly and an OD on ivomec can be nasty.

you said she head the ivmec at 8 weeks old, so at 12 weeks she should be started on heartguard (unless shes a collie breed (border collie, beareded, rough/smooth, sheltie or aussie sheperd) in whch case shell need a different type of heartworm preventative)
did you tell the vet shed had the ivomec?
if so id be a little concerned that he wanted to dose with hearworm preventative so soon after a dose of ivermectin.

anywho...heartguard is the brand youll be looking at unless you have one of those breeds above, and that will also help prevent intestinal parisites too as long as you give it every month.
heartguard is a chewable tab and worth every penny...

so no worries, she is already on heartwrom preventative so every 4 weeks from that date.

in terms of my wrom check schedual...
i give heartworm prevntative every mnth and ivermectin (the active ingredient) prevents intestinal parisites too.
ill be quite honest, my dogs dont interact with strange dogs often and i keep ontop of my heartworm schedual, so i only run a fecal test at the same time i titer (every 3 years)
i will run a fecal before breeding a female though as a just to be sure, but so far never had a problem...

ive been following this general schedual for about 8 years now and thus far havent had any issues...

my current schedual for my own dogs is

puppyhood:
8 and 12 weeks i give distemper, adeno and parvo (5in1)
6 months they get rabies

1 yr and 2 months they get distemper, adeno and parvo again
1 1/2 yrs second rabies (this is good for 3 years)

then after that every 3 years titer test, fecal and rabies.

monthly they get ivermectin, and k9 advantix.

for pups that come in from outside "uncertain" sources
6 weeks: distemper and parvo + deworming
8 weeks: deworming
10 weeks 5in1
14 weeks 5in1, Fecal (and deworming if nessicary)

everything else stays the same...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:10 PM

oh springers are sweet dogs, i love the spenail group n general for almost any family.
i grew up with english cockers in our house and think theres nothing better a dog, especially for a family than a nice spaniel! sweet, happy go lucky and eager to please.

no problem on the vac's info...youll find alot of info and different opinions online...
mine is simply based on dr. jean dodds protocals, and my own experiences with vaccine reactions, along with the vet i worked for introducing me to titer testing.

the 2011 AHAA guidlines are now also reflecting a minimal vaccine/3 yearly protocal too and can be found
https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocume...Guidelines.pdf

(it might be somethign to print off and take with you to the vet if theres any issues...some vets do keep up with new protocals, others dont...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs